Tune Suggestions (Already Have MPT 93 tune) for More Low-End? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-18-2019, 01:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Tune Suggestions (Already Have MPT 93 tune) for More Low-End?

I've run my 3.7 on the MPT 93 performance tune for a long time but I'm bored with it.

I have these mods: AFE filter/Airaid tube/GPE Racing 77mm throttle body/BBK shorty headers/Intake Wrapped with DEI Heat Resistant Tape/Borla S type axlebacks/Sprintbooster throttle controller/Barton Shifter/Prothane Shifter Bushing/Pistol Grip Shifter Knob/MPT 93 Performance tune/DSS aluminum driveshaft/3.55 Ford Racing Gears

Basically, I'm looking to see if there a more daily-driver friendly tune that offers great performance but better response in the low end, with good torque/power below 4000 rpms. Possibly better gas mileage without sacrificing much performance as well (only average 17 now according to the trip computer and thats driving fairly easy in traffic most of the time).

The MPT 93 tune loves to be in the higher RPM range but is also very aggressive for a street car, making a bit hard to enjoy in normal rush hour conditions and everyday driving. Plus gas mileage is so-so even if you baby the car from what I found unless its on open highway. The other gripe is there is not much feedback/response in lower RPMs on the 93 tune, the torque is good but its doesn't feel alive until 4k rpms.

Any suggestions? I have not run Bama, other companies or other MPT tunes in the past beside the 87 performance and 91 performance tunes MPT offers. Going to try dialing back to 87 performance potentially in the interim but open to suggestions for other tunes to try.

Also, MPT is telling me I can run a ghost cam tune without damaging the cats? Is this accurate as I thought it was intended for use with an off-road H-pipe? Thanks
14v6spdNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 02:10 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Ghost tunes suck and will load up the cats, not a good idea. A lot of those mods you have aren't doing anything... you'd probably pick up a little low end putting the stock tb and airbox back on and you wouldn't lose any power up top... 4.10s will help in the low end dept for sure... the MPT tune is still a canned tune... so is Bama, Bama tunes are complete **** and I do not recommend them.

If you want a legit local tune take the car to Kevin at Wicked in Toms River and he can sort you out.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:30 PM   #3

Region: New York
supercharger!!!
kixmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Ghost tunes suck and will load up the cats, not a good idea. A lot of those mods you have aren't doing anything... you'd probably pick up a little low end putting the stock tb and airbox back on and you wouldn't lose any power up top... 4.10s will help in the low end dept for sure... the MPT tune is still a canned tune... so is Bama, Bama tunes are complete **** and I do not recommend them.

If you want a legit local tune take the car to Kevin at Wicked in Toms River and he can sort you out.
It's the stock air box, just an AFE drop-in filter and an airraid intake tube. Performance is noticeably worse with a paper filter (I have a brand new one sitting in a box unused) and a complete stock airbox on the 93 MPT Tune, just alot of hesitation until it 5000rpms where with the current set-up it'll pull much smoother and quicker from idle to redline. I believe the MPT tune is too aggressive for a fully stock airbox as it feels like it's being held back when trying to accelerate with the 100% stock setup, went back and forth on this a bunch of times even cleaning the MAF sensor appropriately thinking it was partly causing an issue to no avail.

The stock throttle body is ok but the throttle response even with the tune isn't great and it lags bad in the mid-range at times. I've also used the sprintbooster to help a bit and did the jsimmons relay mod for adaptive learning, which keeps the responsiveness of the throttle better than stock. The stock TB issues may be a tune problem though because it was great when stock with just a MPT tune then and the intake upgrades.

I think I'll check out Wicked and a dyno tune. With MPT canned tunes it was great when the car was 100% stock with 2.73s but with the mods it has now, it just never seems sorted right so a dyno tune might help. Thanks for the help!
14v6spdNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:47 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
When my MPT tune starts to feel a little non responsive, I return back to stock and reload the tune. It peps everything up for a few weeks. Maybe you should have gone with 3.73 gears
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Basically what everyone has said re-gear your car. My favorite gear I ran on a auto 3.7 fbo NA was 4.10’s with MPT tune.
Beat a 2002 GT 5.4 3v swapped, 3.55 gears and a 120 shot by 2 car lengths from a dig.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
My favorite gear I ran on a auto 3.7 fbo NA was 4.10’s with MPT tune.
Beat a 2002 GT 5.4 3v swapped, 3.55 gears and a 120 shot by 2 car lengths from a dig.
Must have been a really bad driver then.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Must have been a really bad driver then.
Let me guess you think all Ford Mustang 3.7 V6 are slow? Guess you don’t know much about them as there are many running low to mid 12’s NA, lmao. Saw a video today of a turbo 3.7 beating a whipple 5.0 and another of a 3.7 beating a 5.0 on nitrous. FYI fastest 3.7 runs a 9.6 1/4 mile lol.

Any how I had a friend who owns a modded 14 5.0 in the car with me as a matter of fact, the 2002 GT didn’t have a passenger.

If anything I was the beginner as I occasionally race. The guy I raced is part of my friends group who street races every weekend and was talking **** about my car because it was a 3.7 V6. Wow imagine that a V8 guy thinking there car can beat anything (no anyone like that)? Any how dude traded his car in the next week for a 2010 generation Camaro SS, lmao.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Everyone on here knows a 3.7 and a 3v 4.6 (S197) are fairly comparable until the 3v starts stacking mods. If you beat a guy with a 3v swapped into a lighter chassis (SN95) and he also had a 120 shot and you won by 2 car lengths, it either wasn't a race, the guy wasn't spraying or the guy in the 3v simply sucks at life.

As for him trading up to a 5 gen Camaro, if it's an LS3 car (6spd manual), that car will stomp a mudhole in your pony's arse hole and kick it dry, with a decent driver. If it's an auto, it will be a close race, assuming its stock. Once the torque management crap is removed with a tune, its going to be mudhole stomping time once again and you will be on the receiving end.

Anyways, to answer OP's question, like has been mentioned, try reloading your tune and see if that makes any difference. You could also contact MPT and see if you can do some data logging for them and then see what they can do with a revised tune. It seems from your mod list that you have everything pretty much covered. The only mod outside of gearing that would add any low end power would be the tune and the shorty headers. The fact is, the 2011+ 3.7 and 5.0 share a common un-american torque curve, that being something that resembles a K24 Honda engine, meh power until around 3500 - 4000 rpm, then the cam phasing kicks in and the car actually starts making power. It's just the design of the engine, trade low end grunt for high rpm power.
Ish416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:18 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
Everyone on here knows a 3.7 and a 3v 4.6 (S197) are fairly comparable until the 3v starts stacking mods. If you beat a guy with a 3v swapped into a lighter chassis (SN95) and he also had a 120 shot and you won by 2 car lengths, it either wasn't a race, the guy wasn't spraying or the guy in the 3v simply sucks at life.

As for him trading up to a 5 gen Camaro, if it's an LS3 car (6spd manual), that car will stomp a mudhole in your pony's arse hole and kick it dry, with a decent driver. If it's an auto, it will be a close race, assuming its stock. Once the torque management crap is removed with a tune, its going to be mudhole stomping time once again and you will be on the receiving end.

Anyways, to answer OP's question, like has been mentioned, try reloading your tune and see if that makes any difference. You could also contact MPT and see if you can do some data logging for them and then see what they can do with a revised tune. It seems from your mod list that you have everything pretty much covered. The only mod outside of gearing that would add any low end power would be the tune and the shorty headers. The fact is, the 2011+ 3.7 and 5.0 share a common un-american torque curve, that being something that resembles a K24 Honda engine, meh power until around 3500 - 4000 rpm, then the cam phasing kicks in and the car actually starts making power. It's just the design of the engine, trade low end grunt for high rpm power.
Yep pretty much.

Sent from my COR-L29 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah what will us poor little 3.7 V6 owners do against the mighty V8’s? Everyone knows? Apparently everyone don’t know anything about the 3.7 on this site.

Also unless you’ve raced a fbo 3.7 with 4.10’s and full suspension setup you don’t know anything first hand.

Now I remember why everyone left this site and went to the different 3.7 Facebook pages.

I feel sorry for all the 3.7 guys that get ****ty advice from you V8 lovers.

Mustang 3v

Camaro SS

(2:15 Mark)
Old 04-28-2019, 02:40 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Go to any legit track and get your own videos. While you are there you will likely get your butthole pushed in by any number of v8s, v6s 4 bangers etc... That you can go find some YouTube video on saying how slow they are.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Go to any legit track and get your own videos. While you are there you will likely get your butthole pushed in by any number of v8s, v6s 4 bangers etc... That you can go find some YouTube video on saying how slow they are.

Not my fault a 3.7 V6 NA can smack down V8’s NA or 3.7 FI can smack down V8’s FI. Maybe you should have a talk with your V8 brethren to give them some pep talks so they can all win.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:41 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Post one of your timeslips dude. Take the pic with 2 pennies and a dime next to it so we know its yours. Anyone want a bet how long we'll be here waiting?

Old 05-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Not my fault a 3.7 V6 NA can smack down V8’s NA or 3.7 FI can smack down V8’s FI. Maybe you should have a talk with your V8 brethren to give them some pep talks so they can all win.
I've posted my time slips many times over the years. Low 11's N/A tuned by ME. Whatcha got big boy?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:20 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
1 Thing I learned Many Many Moons Ago, there is always someone with more money, more time, better mechanic and more parts to go faster than you. So you run your own race and go on. IMHO the only one I need to Impress is myself.
I bought a 305 Horse Power V6 Mustang for a couple of reasons. The First one is better balance for cornering which is also the most important. 2 I never liked the looks of the driving lights on the Grille of the 2005-14 GT's.
I go and do mountain drives with Mustang's, Mustang GT's, Chargers, Challengers, Vipers, Corvettes, Camaro's, Nissan's, Subbies and had a Sweet GTO Judge last time we went up.
No one needs a time slip, we go up have fun and then go home
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, 14" Brembo Front Brakes, 13.8 GT500 Rear W/O Backing plates.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
1 Thing I learned Many Many Moons Ago, there is always someone with more money, more time, better mechanic and more parts to go faster than you. So you run your own race and go on. IMHO the only one I need to Impress is myself.
I bought a 305 Horse Power V6 Mustang for a couple of reasons. The First one is better balance for cornering which is also the most important. 2 I never liked the looks of the driving lights on the Grille of the 2005-14 GT's.
I go and do mountain drives with Mustang's, Mustang GT's, Chargers, Challengers, Vipers, Corvettes, Camaro's, Nissan's, Subbies and had a Sweet GTO Judge last time we went up.
No one needs a time slip, we go up have fun and then go home
^ THIS!!

It’s like on F&F Tokyo Drift where they go to the mountains with whatever they have and just drive.
C/S Spoiler, JLT Catch Can, Airaid Modular Intake Tube w/ Ford emblem, AFE Pro-Dry Air Filter, Polyurethane Swaybar Bushings front and rear, LED Interior lights, LED License Plate bulbs, LED Reverse Lights
TCU-6612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:00 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Post one of your timeslips dude. Take the pic with 2 pennies and a dime next to it so we know its yours. Anyone want a bet how long we'll be here waiting?
Here’s another one dude 2010 4.6 V8 bolt on vs. 3.7 V6 bolt on. Oh yeah that’s the mighty 4.6 3v you all said with mods would spank a 3.7. V6 with mods. The guy with the 3.7 don’t even have close to the mods I have, he has about half. Enjoy

Old 05-03-2019, 10:36 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Here’s another one dude 2010 4.6 V8 bolt on vs. 3.7 V6 bolt on. Oh yeah that’s the mighty 4.6 3v you all said with mods would spank a 3.7. V6 with mods. The guy with the 3.7 don’t even have close to the mods I have, he has about half. Enjoy]
We get that you like your car, we also understand that it can be\is faster than all the previous 2v, 3v NA 4.6 Mustangs before it..

The part you don't seem to get is that, PRIOR TO 2011, ALL NA MUSTANGS WERE TURDS, from the factory or with bolt ons (excluding a built pushrod engine).

The 2v and 3v 4.6 are garbage for performance, NA, everyone knows that. Even with full bolt ons, they are turds. Hell, the 1993 LT1 Fbody (leaving out the SS and WS6 and any LS1 cars) put down just as much power or more than all 2v or 3v NA Mustangs from then until 2010. The LT1 Fbody with a manual would put down 250 - 270 whp and 300 wtq. The 2010 Mustang GT puts down around 270 whp and 290 wtq. That is just real world facts. Those cars, both the 2010 Mustang GT and the ancient Fbody could run mid-low 13's @ 100 - 105 mph, with an edge going to the newer Mustang because of improvements in tires and suspension. What a coincidence that the 3.7 also puts down similar whp but less wtq and that they also run mid 13's @ 100 - 105 mph.

However, those times are no longer fast. 12's are the new 14's. Stock 2018 Mustang GT's are cracking 11.9's @ 118 mph, stock 6 gen Camaro SS is also running 11.9's @ 118 mph, the 392 Charger\Challenger have went 11.7's @ 116 mph. These aren't the same cars that you keep posting videos of.

As for mods, the fastest NA stock long block (excluding cams) 3.7 I could find went 12.1 @ 114 in a max effort, stripper car which is tune, cai and exhaust Coyote or 5 Gen times and traps. Fastest stock long block (excluding cams) 3v 4.6 went 11.83 @ 111 again a full max effort stripper car and finally, the stock long block (excluding cam) LT1 Fbody have no issues running a 10.94 @ 124 in a full weight car (helps that the LT1 was the last of the traditional small block chevy). For the record, the fastest bolt on 5 gen Camaro went 10.163 @ 130.68 mph. That is one hell of a jump over the fastest bolt on 3.7 or 3v 4.6.

A stock 2011+ 5.0 might be a good run with a full bolt on 3.7. However, just a tune on the 5.0 and .. and you will get rolled. Same with a 5 gen Camaro, they are tanks but they have a beast of an engine. A full bolt on 3.7 should be able to hang with the slowest 5 gen automatic SS, however, an Ls3 car or an auto with a tune (to remove the torque management) will stomp your car, especially from a roll.

Posting up videos of a 3.7 beating up on a 2v or 3v is like watching the 100 meter dash in the special Olympics, they are all sort of evenly matched but there isn't really a winner.

To continue the special Olympics metaphor, comparing a 3.7 to a current 5.0, 6 gen SS or 392 is like taking the winner of the special Olympics 100 meter dash and making them race the winner of the actual Olympics 100 meter. It's not really a race.

The 3.7 is a fantastic engine, I had one, it was quite impressive for what it was, and it was, what it was.
Ish416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:58 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Pretty much. Dude obviously won't post a timeslip because he doesn't have one...

News flash for when he does go to the track, 13s aren't fast...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang