Exhaust rattle from 3-4k RPM (catless)? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-07-2019, 10:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Exhaust rattle from 3-4k RPM (catless)?

I'm trying to get my 2011 V6 back to normal after the last owner did one hell of a number on it (deleted the catalytics and put larger mufflers on it... and piped it with dryer tubing). Needless to say I was pissed but I bought it on short notice so I accept that I got shafted.

Anyways, I'm trying to bring it back to a rough idea of stock, including adding back the cats, etc. Right now it has a really raspy rattle when you hit 3k RPM which goes away when you hit about 4k. I thought replacing the mufflers would fix it but it only lessened the volume. The H-pipe from the engine and back to the mufflers looks stock, so I'm really confused as to where the raspy sound comes from since it sounds like it's coming from the exhaust system. Basically, I want to make sure that adding cats will fix the problem but it doesn't sound like the engine output is the issue. I can upload a video if it helps.
somesay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019, 09:20 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The dryer tubing must have been a nice touch!

Typically, a rattle with the exhaust is caused by the piping coming into contact with something underneath the car, or something broken inside of a muffler or a catalytic converter.
It sounds like you have new mufflers and you said that the car has no catalytic converters?

It would probably be helpful if you could post a video with clear sound quality of the rattling noise.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:32 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Putting the Cat and Resonators would help since a lot of the Raspiness is from no Resonators in most cases. I would call the guy back and see if he still has the mid pipe since legally he cannot sell the car with modified Emissions, it is against Federal law to do so.
Putting the Stock Cats and resonators back on would tone it down a lot. American Muscle has A MBRP Cat Back exhaust that is supposed to sound pretty good for under $600 that is all Stainless.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, 14" Brembo Front Brakes, 13.8 GT500 Rear W/O Backing plates.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 07:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Please, post a picture of the dryer hose!
C/S Spoiler, JLT Catch Can, Airaid Modular Intake Tube w/ Ford emblem, AFE Pro-Dry Air Filter, Polyurethane Swaybar Bushings front and rear, LED Interior lights, LED License Plate bulbs, LED Reverse Lights
TCU-6612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:17 PM   #5

Region: Montana
Dude, get a ford racing mid pipe and shorty headers. It will kill drone and rasp and sounds great.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I'll try to get a video of it up in the next day or so. I'd definitely call the guy back but he was an international student and probably halfway around the world by now. With the condition of his fix I highly doubt he kept the midpipe anyways.
somesay is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust