Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Lowered Suspension Redo - Need Advise.

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  DANROONEY1 
#1 ·
A little over 2 years ago I lowered my ride with Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, and SR Performance Lowering Springs. The ride was flat and controlled in the corners, but the ride was firmer than I expected, but felt that I could live with it. Fast forward to today, 8,800 miles later and the ride, especially their rear end, is more than a kidney puncher, it’s brutal. Any small bump in the parking lot or any rough road is just harsh. It feel as if there is no spring or shocks in the rear. I believe I should have paid for better shocks and springs and am now paying for it the hard way.

Anyway, moving right along, I’m going to change out the lowering springs and shocks & struts and I’m looking at Steeda’s ultra-lite lowering springs and their pro-action shocks & struts. The car was originally lowered 1.25 all around and this Steeda setup will be the same drop and cost $675. The other upgraded and installed suspension components are listed in my signature.

Does anyone have this Steeda spring and shock setup or any suggestions of a similar setup that has the same drop, but has a decent overall ride? I can’t handle this hard kidney punching ride and I need some honest real world advise. I’m taking my ride to the shop that originally installed everything, concerning the suspension, to get it up on a lift to see if any damage has occurred. Any real advise would be most appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
If I were you, I would call Steeda and tell them what you have and what you are looking for.:)

#4 ·
Good idea, I was gonna call them after I have the car on the lift at my mechanics.

#5 · (Edited)
I’ll check for that when I leave in a couple of hours. I’ll let you know what I find out at the mechanics. Thanks.

Edit: just took a quick look and there’s less than a 1/2” play at the to of the bump stops.

#7 · (Edited)
Apparently the rear Koni orange shocks are shot and the cheap SR performance springs didn’t help much either. Just pulled the trigger on a set of Steeda Pro-Action struts & shocks and a set of Eibach Pro-Kit springs. Fortunately Steeda and LMR are having sales, so I got lucky there. Also added the Ford Performance strut mounts and new upper and lower rear spring insulators as well. Everything should be hear by next weekend and installed early the following week. I’ll update this thread after the install. Lesson learned, never go cheap on suspension parts. That’s it for now :thumb:

#8 ·
Koni Orange is the bottom of the tier stuff from them. The adjustable yellows (or blisteins) and a set of good springs will fix this issue. Life lesson here is stay the hell away from SR products and AM in general at this point. AM has become an IRL example of how to run a successful business into the ground. They're only still making money because of dip****s buying "bolt ons" or other garbage for their cars that don't actually do anything and melting #8 pistons with Bama tunes.

#9 ·
Amen to that, brother :cool:

#10 ·
Steeda and Eibach is a great suspension combo.

I had the Steeda Pro-Action Shocks & Struts and Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs installed yesterday and had the alignment done as well. Much better ride! Firmer than stock, but not a kidney puncher and corners very nice. The rear Koni shock were blown after just 8K miles and 2 years. The mechanic showed me how the damper would not come back out after pushing it in. I’ve never seen shocks so poorly made in my life. Stay away from the Koni orange struts & shock and the SR Performance springs, a very poor combination. The Steeda and Eibach combo is just right for my needs. Also, I did get lucky when I made my purchase because of the Memorial Day sales. Anyway, I’m good to go :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.