What gear oil do you use for the differential? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-29-2019, 03:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What gear oil do you use for the differential?

I’ve picked up a set of 3.31 gears and install kit but was wondering if the Royal Purple 75W/140 with a bottle of FM was the only one to use. I don’t mind paying the $19-22 per bottle, but would prefer to pay less. I was looking at the kit from LMR for $69 that comes with 2 Royal Purple, FM and seal kit. I would also have to buy another bottle of RP for my GT500 finned cover.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-F8805K/88-R...-Mustang-05-14

What do you all use?

If you’re wondering why I didn’t go higher than 3.31, it’s because I do high speed highway driving. I normally set the cruise at 75-80mph (5 over speed limit) for about an hour. I just want it to be a little bit sportier at lower speeds.
C/S Spoiler, JLT Catch Can, Airaid Modular Intake Tube w/ Ford emblem, AFE Pro-Dry Air Filter, Polyurethane Swaybar Bushings front and rear, LED Interior lights, LED License Plate bulbs, LED Reverse Lights
TCU-6612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 04:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Amsoil is all I ever used for gear oil.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I use the Motorcraft gear oil (with the 4 oz bottle of friction modifier) the Ford dealer sells. I've changed my gear oil 4 times since owning my 2011 v6. It holds 2 1/3rd quarts and have never understood why all the aftermarket gear oil change kits sold, only come with 2 quarts
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 06:29 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Mobil 1 from autozone is fine, RP is fine, motorcraft is fine... Don't overthink this.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:15 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

So anything will work, great!! Thanks!!

Every website I look uses RP in their kits, that’s why I asked.
C/S Spoiler, JLT Catch Can, Airaid Modular Intake Tube w/ Ford emblem, AFE Pro-Dry Air Filter, Polyurethane Swaybar Bushings front and rear, LED Interior lights, LED License Plate bulbs, LED Reverse Lights
Old 07-01-2019, 01:51 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

RP will work great, if that is what comes in the kit run it. Also get a lube locker gasket for the diff cover instead of using RTV. So much easier and no mess.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:29 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
RP will work great, if that is what comes in the kit run it. Also get a lube locker gasket for the diff cover instead of using RTV. So much easier and no mess.
I ordered Valvoline Synpower Fully Synthetic 75w140. I also ordered the lube locker gasket and FM from LMR. With the GT500 cover I shouldn’t have to remove it again. Fingers crossed!
Old 07-23-2019, 04:46 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Valvoline is good, I just changed my diff oil at51,000 miles. I go to Optimum Performance for my fluids @ www.opmustang.com They offer B&G w/ls friction modifier in the qt's. I got 75w140w myself.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:50 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

ii was reading this post and I have a doubt.... always I change diferential`s oil, has to include a friction modifier?
My diferential is 2.73 (stock)
Pelayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelayo View Post
ii was reading this post and I have a doubt.... always I change diferential`s oil, has to include a friction modifier?
My diferential is 2.73 (stock)
The friction modifier is only required in vehicles that are equipped with a clutch-type limited-slip differential.
In my Mustang, and various other vehicles that had limited-slip differentials, I would only add as much friction modifier as was required to make the differential operate smoothly during sharp (tight) turns. If the differential operates smoothly, with no binding, chattering, or any strange noises, I do not add any friction modifier at all.
Typically, when the clutches in the differential are brand new, they will require some friction modifier to ensure that the differential works properly. As the clutches begin to wear out over time, they become less effective, and adding the friction modifier to the already slippery synthetic gear oil makes them even less effective.
When I was autocrossing my Mustang on a frequent basis, it was very common to completely wear out a set of clutches in the differential in only one season of racing. (If you were doing it right!) That is what prompted me to switch to a Torsen-type of differential, to avoid the ongoing maintenance, and to be more consistent.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:21 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

@straybullit, thanks for your reply. I have two subarus (3.0R outback and b9 tribeca ) both with limited slip differential and I have never heard this from the friction modifier (the oil is 85W90 gl5)
Thks a lot for your advise. I´ll change de fluid and check if pinions are good or not
Old 07-29-2019, 05:02 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
@straybullit, thanks for your reply. I have two subarus (3.0R outback and b9 tribeca ) both with limited slip differential and I have never heard this from the friction modifier (the oil is 85W90 gl5)
Thks a lot for your advise. I´ll change de fluid and check if pinions are good or not
All Mustangs from 2011 on have limited slip differentials and need friction modifier added when changing gear oil. You will likely get chattering around turns if you don't. 2.73 was the stock ratio of Cyclone V-6's so you have a LS "Traction-Lok" differential.

iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:04 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

ok, take note.
now I have to looki for a oil and friction modifier for my differential

thks a lot for all for your help!
Old 07-30-2019, 03:45 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

one stupid question. capacity of differential is 1.9L...including the friction modifier or is 1.9L 75w140 fluid plus 110 ml of friction modifier? I think is the first, but you are the experts about it.

another doubt, royal purple max gear say that is not necesary to add a friction modifier, it is thrue?.

thks for your time and help
Old 07-30-2019, 02:41 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I did some online searches and found that Ford's Traction-Lok will chatter without friction modifier even with Royal Purple gear oil. Just put it in, it's not expensive. Add it before the last bottle of oil and then fill it until it is just below the fill hole. Don't overfill it, it will leak from the breather.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:51 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Amsoil. No friction modifier needed.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:54 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Amsoil. No friction modifier needed.
Same with Mobil 1.... And probably most of the other synthetic offerings....
Old 07-30-2019, 05:20 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
one stupid question. capacity of differential is 1.9L...including the friction modifier or is 1.9L 75w140 fluid plus 110 ml of friction modifier? I think is the first, but you are the experts about it.

another doubt, royal purple max gear say that is not necesary to add a friction modifier, it is thrue?.

thks for your time and help
Including the friction modifier.
If you put in the recommended amount of gear oil, there is still room to put in the friction modifier if you think it is necessary. The additional 4 ounces of friction modifier won't hurt anything.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:29 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

ok, thks a lot Straybullit, I`ll put in a liqui moly 75w140 fully synthetic oil ,it is compliande for standard for this fluid which is WSP-M2C192-A. and a ford friction modifier . for the gasket, I have to use a red Silicon gasket. Its imposible to find a gasket here. The cost to import from USA are arroun 200 USD when the cost of this piece is 25 USD aprox
Old 07-31-2019, 01:12 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yikes! $200!!!
It is perfectly acceptable to use silicone on the differential cover.

I hope that I'm not being too confusing...

What you just described is the recommended way to refill the differential.
Iguanaman3 described the correct procedure in his earlier post.
You can't go wrong by adding the friction modifier.

There are some synthetic gear oils available that already contain a friction modifier for limited slip differentials.. It will typically say something to that effect on the label of the bottle. If you use this type of gear oil, it may not be necessary to add any additional friction modifier.
As I said earlier, it will not hurt anything if you add the additional friction modifier to any type of gear oil. The only difference that you may notice, is during extreme high performance driving the limited slip clutches may become less effective because of the excessive friction modifier that is in the oil.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:26 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I know I've posted this before but I will again.

When my Ford dealer installed my 3.73 gears they put 2 bottles of friction modifier (8 ounces) for the 500 mile break in. I was getting ready to change the gear oil and did a brake stand burnout just for fun. One wheel peel with 8 ounces of friction modifier. I changed my gear lube and added only 3 ounces of the 4 ounce bottle of friction modifier. All is quiet and I have both wheels pulling now.

I've read 4 ounces of friction modifier is enough to take care of 4 quarts of gear lube so I figure 3 ounces is enough to take care of 2 1/3 quarts of gear lube, and it is
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:39 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

thanks to both, staybullitt, you have not confused me at all, and yes, I will do what you say, I will put the oil and the friction modifier (I put it to all cars in the engine, it is Metal lube)
Old 07-31-2019, 04:14 PM   #23

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
I did some online searches and found that Ford's Traction-Lok will chatter without friction modifier even with Royal Purple gear oil. Just put it in, it's not expensive. Add it before the last bottle of oil and then fill it until it is just below the fill hole. Don't overfill it, it will leak from the breather.
I changed the gear oil on my 15 Mustang with Royal Purple gear oil and did not add any addtional friction modifier beyond what comes in the Royal Purple gear oil and it was smoother than the factory fill.

Most of the top shelf gear lubes come with friction modifier in them, read the bottle or spec sheet. Adding too much can result in the clutches not holding on launch.

Dave
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

« O2s | my mustang »