Vibration when letting off the gas - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-03-2019, 12:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Vibration when letting off the gas

I just had 3.31 gears put in and the car has a vibration when letting off the throttle. My mechanic thinks it's the driveshaft. He has put some clamps on it to try and balance it but can't get the vibration to fully go away. It only does it when letting off at 80 now. I'm sure it does it higher than that but he won't drive my car any faster, which I completely respect. He said I either need to take it to a speed shop to get it properly balanced or get a new driveshaft. I've read that manual's have a vibration when letting off the gas but mine's an auto. Is this normal or do I need a new driveshaft?

Thanks!
C/S Spoiler, JLT Catch Can, Airaid Modular Intake Tube w/ Ford emblem, AFE Pro-Dry Air Filter, Polyurethane Swaybar Bushings front and rear, LED Interior lights, LED License Plate bulbs, LED Reverse Lights
TCU-6612 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2019, 08:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
You could try rotating the driveshaft 90 degrees at a time and see if it goes away. I did lose some of my deceleration vibration when I put the Aluminum shaft in though.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, 14" Brembo Front Brakes, 13.8 GT500 Rear W/O Backing plates.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
You could try rotating the driveshaft 90 degrees at a time and see if it goes away. I did lose some of my deceleration vibration when I put the Aluminum shaft in though.
My mechanic rotated it and also put some kind of clamps on it to try and get it to balance. The more I read the more I think it’s normal. Do you think it’s safe to drive with? I have my governor set at 120. I plan on putting an aluminum one in down the road.
C/S Spoiler, JLT Catch Can, Airaid Modular Intake Tube w/ Ford emblem, AFE Pro-Dry Air Filter, Polyurethane Swaybar Bushings front and rear, LED Interior lights, LED License Plate bulbs, LED Reverse Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 08:14 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
If it didn't vibrate before he put 3.31s in and it does now then he needs to fix it.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:44 PM   #5

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCU-6612 View Post
I just had 3.31 gears put in and the car has a vibration when letting off the throttle. My mechanic thinks it's the driveshaft. He has put some clamps on it to try and balance it but can't get the vibration to fully go away. It only does it when letting off at 80 now. I'm sure it does it higher than that but he won't drive my car any faster, which I completely respect. He said I either need to take it to a speed shop to get it properly balanced or get a new driveshaft. I've read that manual's have a vibration when letting off the gas but mine's an auto. Is this normal or do I need a new driveshaft?

Thanks!
I put 3.73's in my 94. It initially had quite a vibration over 60. The driveshaft had a harmonic balancer on it, which I had never seen before and we determined the it needed replacing as the rubber was crumbling apart. I just went ahead and installed an aluminum shaft and have had not vibration one since then.
BobStang94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

https://m.autozone.com/drivetrain/dr...2271_6064?aqs=

Has anyone used or heard about this driveshaft? If I need another ds I really don’t want to put in another stock one but can’t afford an aluminum one right now.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCU-6612 View Post
https://m.autozone.com/drivetrain/dr...2271_6064?aqs=

Has anyone used or heard about this driveshaft? If I need another ds I really don’t want to put in another stock one but can’t afford an aluminum one right now.
I think I would just pay the Extra $305 before I put a Dorman on it. I was going to have a local shop build me one and the shop closed before I got the $600 together for the custom 2 piece. He built a lot of the local race car shafts around Knoxville and a whole lot of truck driveshafts and PTO's.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, 14" Brembo Front Brakes, 13.8 GT500 Rear W/O Backing plates.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If it didn't vibrate before he put 3.31s in and it does now then he needs to fix it.
If it didn't start until the new gear ratio was installed Id suspect that is the issue. I've heard unless it is done absolutely perfectly you will most likely have some sort of issue with a new gear ratio.
Renownedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang