Brake squeak even when brakes aren’t applied - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Brake squeak even when brakes aren’t applied

I recently installed the power stop brake and rotor lot from American Muscle (street version with drilled/slotted rotors) on my 2014 base model. The brakes work fine but there is a harmonic wheel squeak above 15mph that comes and goes, plus gets louder after the car has been driven for awhile. It sounded like it was coming from the front as I thought I couldn’t hear it with the wheel turned so I took apart the front brakes, replaced the pads, cleaned up the rotors to no avail. The strange thing is the front wheels move freely and create no noise when jacked up? Any ideas how to fix this as I never had an issue like this before and wheel on/off it seems quiet/moves free? I will check the rears as well as I replaced front and back brakes on the initial job
14v6spdNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2019, 02:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Did you use brake grease in the backs of the pads and the slides?
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I just put the same rotors and pads on my Mustang a couple weeks ago. I have no sounds from mine. I just cleaned and rubbed wheel bearing grease on the pins. Does the sound change when you pull up the emergency brake handle while moving? Could also be a 'dust shield' got bent over enough to barely hit the rotor during the install.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 01:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I greased the back of the pads, caliper pin boots, caliper pins and the caliper pin bolts with brake lube grease. I'll try checking the emergency brake though while moving, there is a different rubbing sound coming from the driver's rear wheel so its possibly the e-brake needs adjustment.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

So the problem is definitely in the front. The back brakes work fine, no extra resistance and do not make noise. There is something wrong with either the drivers or passenger side in the front because this is what happens:

Drivers side - with the front end in the air (no wheels in the ground), it can spin freely by one hand. No noise spinning the rotor or wheel front or backwards, caliper slides move freely, etc. turning the wheel sounds normal and nothing is hitting going lock to lock. Pads are new and everything (slides, caliper bolts, pads) is lubicated appropriately with high temp brake grease.

Passenger side - with the front end in the air (no front wheels on the ground), there is more restistance. Takes two hands to turn the rotor frontwards or backwards. Slides move freely though and caliper bolts, slides and pads are all greased appropriately with high temp brake grease. Nothing is touching that I could see and it’s the same turning the wheel lock to lock.

The odd thing is now when slowing down from 25mph, it’s making a squealing noise like you would expect with the pads down to the wear indicators? The passenger side is definitely dragging as you can feel the resistance in steering and in performance.

Are the pads potentially backwards? The pads are installed with the wear indicator on the backside of the rotor. I installed them the same as in the power stop brake install video and both sides are the same.

The only other thing is maybe the caliper is sticking but I was careful with the calipers and did not touch the brake bleeders. I did leave the master cylinder cap off when changing the pads/rotors, but every car I’ve owned required this otherwise you could not compress the calipers to install new pads/rotors.

Any help will be appreciated and thanks for the responses so far!
Old 08-27-2019, 04:07 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I would try bleeding the brakes first. Might have air in the lines. If that don't fix it, 'I' would buy a new rebuilt caliper. My local O'Reillys sell them from $60-$80 each.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I had a caliper dragging on my old F150. After changing the caliper with a new rebuilt one, it was fixed for a couple weeks and then started dragging again. It ended up being the rubber hose, replaced it and has been working perfect for several years. The old hose looked like new on the outside but was coming apart on the inside causing the brake fluid not to be able to release pressure. Just something else to think about ………
Old 08-27-2019, 05:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Did you get one of the pad anti-rattle spring's jammed up on install? Happened to me when I put the power stop kit w/drilled & slotted rotors with the Ceramic/Kevlar pads. Pulled it back apart and found one spring ruined. Replaced it with one of the old ones and no more squeal. Passenger side on mine too.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:41 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
Did you get one of the pad anti-rattle spring's jammed up on install? Happened to me when I put the power stop kit w/drilled & slotted rotors with the Ceramic/Kevlar pads. Pulled it back apart and found one spring ruined. Replaced it with one of the old ones and no more squeal. Passenger side on mine too.
Do you mean the curved springs on the outside surface of the pads that rests on the back and front of the calipers or the spring clips that seat the pads inside the caliper?

One spring broke that sits on the outside of the caliper on the back but I replaced the pads and those springs are ok, didn’t change the issue.

I’ll take a look again as the clips in the calipers themselves looked ok.

If that doesn’t work I’ll try bleeding the brakes.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I believe I fixed the problem finally! Appears that there was too much new grease and dried out old grease packed inside the caliper slides, probably a combination of myself and a previous brake job. Fully tightened wasn't tightened and the caliper pin bolts kept backing out just enough to let the pads not seat in the calipers tight enough, allowing the springs to push them onto the rotor all the time causing the brake dragging on the passenger side. Noticed yesterday when checking the brakes, the passenger side caliper bolts barely took any force to loosen them and they were tight just a week ago to the point if they were any tighter, the bolt heads would strip off.

I cleaned out the caliper pins/slide boots in the inside, lightly rubbed grease only to coat the threads of the bolts, bolted everything back up and the brakes work fine with no dragging after a 75 mile drive.

There is a very minor faint squeak at random times still but I suspect the rotor might be warped a bit or the uneven pad wear causing the noise. It faded away after a few hard braking stops so I suspect this may go away with more driving.

Appreciate all the help and the time! Always the smallest things that cause the biggest annoyances lol.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:41 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I was referring to the springs that go on the tabs of the pads. They can be tricky to install. Sounds like you got it. Happy Trails To You.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang