mustang 3.7 v6 2013 MPG problem HELP - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-09-2019, 09:36 AM   #1

mustang 3.7 v6 2013 MPG problem HELP

hey guys i have mustang 2013 v6 3.7 and i have mpg problem im get 12 mpg in freeway also on city same..... i was changed sparkplugs. air filter . and i was scanned with launch x431tool there is no any error code
shantd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 08:14 PM   #2

Region: California
12???

That is way off of what you should be seeing.

What is the history of this car? Have any modifications been done to it.
How long have you owned it?
Is this something that all of a sudden started happening?
Have you verified the mpg's by calculating the gallons of fuel used, and dividing that by the number of miles traveled?
Or are you relying solely on the vehicle's computer to determine the mpg's?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:04 PM   #3

Region: Georgia
That's definitely not right, and not good if the calculation is correct. You are either burning too much fuel, or losing it due to a leak.

My 2002 GT gets an average of 18.5mpg around town, and I've seen 29mpg on trips. That is with the car pushing around 315 Mickey Thomsons in the rear with 275s up front. So I have more rolling resistance. My car is also a convertible.

So with that minor comparison, something isn't right with your car or calculations.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 06:16 AM   #4

Region: Tennessee
I would clean the throttle body. Lots of youtube videos on how to do it. If that doesn't help, you have a fuel 'leak' somewhere . I get 20-21 mpg in town mpg with an automatic with 3.73 gears. Keep us posted on how things go.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
12???

That is way off of what you should be seeing.

What is the history of this car? Have any modifications been done to it.
How long have you owned it?
Is this something that all of a sudden started happening?
Have you verified the mpg's by calculating the gallons of fuel used, and dividing that by the number of miles traveled?
Or are you relying solely on the vehicle's computer to determine the mpg's?
i was buy about 1 months all stock nothing changed
otometer 75000 miles car history is clean
Old 09-10-2019, 06:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
I would clean the throttle body. Lots of youtube videos on how to do it. If that doesn't help, you have a fuel 'leak' somewhere . I get 20-21 mpg in town mpg with an automatic with 3.73 gears. Keep us posted on how things go.
yeah i was cleaned throttle body and maf sensor also changed air filter engine oil sparkplugs also I've tried scan with diagnostik tool not showing any error code
Old 09-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #7

Region: Florida
Are you going by the cars computer or actually measuring how far are you going between fill-ups? You cannot trust the computer. Also does the car smell of gasoline? Perhaps you have a leak. What are your RPM's at 60MPH? They should be under 2000. There is no way you can get the same mileage city and highway unless you are not shifting into overdrive.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:42 PM   #8

I think you need to reset the MPG computer, mine goes down that far if I don't reset it for 5 or 6 tanks since I seldom get on the freeway but resetting it brings it up into the 20-25 range for a bit.
Is the Car a base model (Cloth Seats) or a premium (Leather Seats) because the Premium has an instant MPG readout on the 2013.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, 14" Brembo Front Brakes, 13.8 GT500 Rear W/O Backing plates.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #9

Something very hay-wire here. Our 14 V6 PP averages 25 mpg in the mountains. Better than 30mpg @75 mph on trips.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
Something very hay-wire here. Our 14 V6 PP averages 25 mpg in the mountains. Better than 30mpg @75 mph on trips.
You aren't driving hard enough Ox
Mine gets 12-13 in the mountains pulling over 1G
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, 14" Brembo Front Brakes, 13.8 GT500 Rear W/O Backing plates.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
Are you going by the cars computer or actually measuring how far are you going between fill-ups? You cannot trust the computer. Also does the car smell of gasoline? Perhaps you have a leak. What are your RPM's at 60MPH? They should be under 2000. There is no way you can get the same mileage city and highway unless you are not shifting into overdrive.
no there is no any gasoline smell
for 20L gasoline i driving about 55 56 Mile Automatic transsmision
Old 09-11-2019, 05:38 AM   #12

Have someone drive behind (following) you. Floor the gas pedal for a little while. Do the people following you see a lot of 'black' exhaust come out of your tailpipes?
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Have someone drive behind (following) you. Floor the gas pedal for a little while. Do the people following you see a lot of 'black' exhaust come out of your tailpipes?
i will try today
Old 09-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantd93 View Post
no there is no any gasoline smell
for 20L gasoline i driving about 55 56 Mile Automatic transsmision
It's worse than you thought... That is about 10.5 mpg!

All of that fuel has to be going somewhere. It is not possible for the engine to burn that much, under normal driving conditions, and run well, if at all. You would undoubtedly have a diagnostic trouble code (At least one), and the engine would be running horribly if there is indeed that much fuel passing through it.

Since there are no codes, and you did not mention any other symptoms other than the excessive fuel consumption, is it possible that someone could be siphoning fuel from your car in the middle of the night?
Old 09-12-2019, 08:55 AM   #15

Region: Other
Quote:
Since there are no codes, and you did not mention any other symptoms other than the excessive fuel consumption, is it possible that someone could be siphoning fuel from your car in the middle of the night?
That's what I was thinking. Someone is stealing gas.
jkeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:55 PM   #16

Get a locking gas cap, fill the tank, lock the cap, and see what happens. Process of elimination. Here's link on Amazon to the one I have on my Mustang:

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford-...8335903&sr=8-3
MPT Tuned, JMS PedalMax, Borla S-Type Axle Backs, Airaid CAI, SR Perf. Strut Tower Brace, JLT Oil Separator, MMD Side Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks & Struts, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR Rear LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Support Rod, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Boss 302 25mm Rear Sway Bar, Ford Racing Finned Diff. Cover Plate, Royal Purple Gear Oil, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:12 AM   #17

Quote:
no black ... is clean
Old 09-13-2019, 02:15 AM   #18

What is the best maf senssor flow KG/H for mustang 3.7 v6 ?
Old 09-13-2019, 04:40 AM   #19
Staff
Staff

Region: Europe
The stock sensor, do not replace it. Hand calculate your mileage. Get a locking gas cap. Go from there. You have a leak, someone is stealing your gas or your math is wrong.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The stock sensor, do not replace it. Hand calculate your mileage. Get a locking gas cap. Go from there. You have a leak, someone is stealing your gas or your math is wrong.
car in my garage no way someone is stealing i thing mass sensor not working good because engine working in idle 600 650 rpm also have a little vibration
i need mass sensor stock KG/H
Old 09-13-2019, 06:18 AM   #21

Quote:
no black ... is clean
Then your gas is getting burned, which is good. Keep us posted on what you end up with fixing your bad MPG
Old 09-13-2019, 08:17 AM   #22

yes
i think its an sensor problem mass or o2 sensors how can i find engine data strem ? my mass sensor working on 4.5 4.8 KG/H on 600 700RPM
Old 09-13-2019, 11:00 AM   #23

Quote:
car in my garage no way someone is stealing i thing mass sensor not working good because engine working in idle 600 650 rpm also have a little vibration
i need mass sensor stock KG/H
650rpm at idle is normal. That’s what mine idles at ever since I bought the car in 2013. What country are you in? I only ask that because we don't know your situation and what type of help is available to you.

Can you take the car to a Ford dealership or a trusted mechanic that has experience working on Ford engines? We’re all grasping at straws trying to help you. Maybe it’s time to take your car to a professional mechanic.
MPT Tuned, JMS PedalMax, Borla S-Type Axle Backs, Airaid CAI, SR Perf. Strut Tower Brace, JLT Oil Separator, MMD Side Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks & Struts, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR Rear LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Support Rod, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Boss 302 25mm Rear Sway Bar, Ford Racing Finned Diff. Cover Plate, Royal Purple Gear Oil, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps
Old 09-13-2019, 11:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
650rpm at idle is normal. That’s what mine idles at ever since I bought the car in 2013. What country are you in? I only ask that because we don't know your situation and what type of help is available to you.

Can you take the car to a Ford dealership or a trusted mechanic that has experience working on Ford engines? We’re all grasping at straws trying to help you. Maybe it’s time to take your car to a professional mechanic.
I think he is in Syria, he has the same question on the source. He used his whole name and I googled it and the country code came up Syria for were he works.
I asked him over there what his octane was but he hasn't answered yet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2019, 08:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
I think he is in Syria, he has the same question on the source. He used his whole name and I googled it and the country code came up Syria for were he works.

Fair enough. His location can bring a whole different set of variables into play. It really is a puzzle, been thinking about it for the last couple of days. Really curious how this shakes out.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:35 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post

you are wrong bro im in armenia not syria google says wrong u can check me in fb also you will see my mustang im using 92 92 octane gas
Old 09-14-2019, 12:05 PM   #27

I and Google have been wrong before, but it is a nice looking red Mustang
Old 09-15-2019, 08:51 AM   #28

what is the Correct maf g/s for mustang 3.7 ?
Old 09-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #29

Not sure what a g/s is.

If you just want to start replacing parts, I recommend only using OEM Motorcraft parts.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:22 PM   #30

Region: Florida

If you are talking about air/fuel ratio it is about 14
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:56 AM   #31

Quote:
Not sure what a g/s is.

If you just want to start replacing parts, I recommend only using OEM Motorcraft parts.
mass air flow sensor reading Numbers

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post

If you are talking about air/fuel ratio it is about 14
mass air flow sensor reading Numbers
Old 09-16-2019, 03:42 PM   #32

Quote:
Not sure what a g/s is.

Grams per Second on air flow and I have been looking but still haven't found it.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:32 PM   #33

Oh. Ok.

The rule of thumb is 1 gram per second, per liter. With the engine at idle.
So a 3.7 liter engine should be around 4 grams per second.

If you want a precise number, you can find information such as that in the Ford factory service manual. Or other aftermarket service manual providers such as AllData.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:35 AM   #34

Quote:
Oh. Ok.

The rule of thumb is 1 gram per second, per liter. With the engine at idle.
So a 3.7 liter engine should be around 4 grams per second.

If you want a precise number, you can find information such as that in the Ford factory service manual. Or other aftermarket service manual providers such as AllData.
my mass working on 3.25 3.50 on 650 RPM 90temprutare
Old 09-17-2019, 02:50 AM   #35

That is probably about right for that air temperature.
If anything, your engine would be running a little lean with that maf reading. In any case, it certainly does not seem to be the cause of your excessive fuel consumption.

Does the engine seem to run good?
Does it make good power all of the way to the engine rpm redline when you give it wide open throttle? With no stumbling or hesitation?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang