Mustang Evolution Forum banner

New member build thread

3K views 44 replies 10 participants last post by  crbauhs 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all. New member here, and mostly a lurker, but thought I'd start a thread and talk mustangs with yall!

So 1 month ago I got a 2012 Gt used. Traded in my 04 Mach 1 for it. Wow what an upgrade it is. I am beyond impressed. And it's my first manual, just so much fun to drive.

So on to mods! It came with a full exhaust. Bbk long tube headers and o/r x pipe, and frpp sport axle backs. I'll eventually go with something louder on idle but she screams when I get on her. Also came with raxiom taillights, GT/CS bumper, a short throw shifter (not sure which) and 19 inch rims from American muscle. Just from all these I am happy.

Now for stuff on the way, I ha e a tuner from Bama coming, should be here Tuesday. I have a steeda adjustable panhard here waiting, 1.5 inch SR lowering springs, gt500 strut mounts, frpp adjustable shocks/struts, and camber bolts.

Eventually I'd love to get some new control arms, sway bars potentially, a touch screen Nav unit with Sync integration, matte black super snake stripes, and carbon fiber interior.

Now for the hard part for me in regards to all these parts. I appreciate cars, what they do, and making them better. But I have never been into the maintenance part. I don't have tools or space (apartment living) or the experience/knowledge to install everything that isn't beyond less than common sense. So I think that sadly for these mods I'll most likely have to go pay people to install the parts, which sucks. Sadly no friends around here are mechanically inclined or knowledgeable so they are no help. But I won't let any of that stop me! This is gonna be an awesome and fun/exciting time for me! And if anyone knows a good place to go in the Tamap/St. Petersburg area let me know!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Welcome, dude. Nice car.

A few years ago I was living in an apartment as well and had to do all my work on my old 96 in the parking lot. It sucked but its doable. And as far as those mods you have coming, they really aren't that difficult. Check out some youtube vids or hit up google for some write ups, the info is definitely out there. A good collection of tools will be cheaper than shop labor in the long run.

#5 ·
Sure it was tuned for the long tubes but the guy didnt trade in his hand held tuner with the car. You want your own tuner. As Billgluckman said, you can do those mods in the driveway. If not, c'mon up to NY and I'll give you a hand :lol: don't forget an adjustable upper control arm if you're adding lowering springs. Nice car btw :thumb:

#7 ·
Ha if I had the time for a road trip, just cause it'd be fun, I'd take you up on that offer!

So do you think an uca is required right away? Or will the springs be OK without it for a month maybe. I do plan on getting them eventually though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Welcome and great car! I just got done dropping my car this weekend, and I will tell you I have had the springs sitting for the last 2-3 months. Why? Because I started researching what happens once you drop your car, along with why our cars do certain things we don't like (like wheel hop, acceleration squat ect). So I started buying parts to address everything all at once. Killed me not to throw springs at it right off the bat but it was worth the wait and doing it right. At a minimum you should get struts and shocks, adjustable UCA, LCA, adjustable panhard bar along with your springs. I know that's not going to be easy to do without a garage but you will just need to find a friend with one :)

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress.

IG @Oxford5pointoh

#9 ·
I've actually got all of those except the control arms. So my stuff may sit a tad bit longer than I was hoping. This may end up being a full suspension all at once. We shall see.
Also I've been following your build and it is amazing. I'd love to have gotten white like yours. Your car is looking great!

#11 ·
I'd say throw on what you have and upper control arm. Lowers you can do later. Yeah you might have a bit of wheel hop, it's not the end of the world. Alignment must have been mentioned already.

#12 ·
When you drop it get lca relocation brackets too.

#13 ·
Relo brackets seem to be a hit or miss item from what I've read. I snagged a set of the Eibach/Roush springs (1"F/1-1/2"R drop) and don't use relo brackets. No issues with wheel hop.

#16 ·
Alright! Tuner is here. Tossing on a new tune. Let's see if anything changes.
Think you meant to say "let's see how I like the changes!" Lol, the tune makes the stock car much more...more.

#15 ·
How do you like the x4 tuner? I want to pick one up here soon.

#18 ·
So the parts go in today. I'll get pics once I get home and open it all up. Just for fun I called a local shop and inquired about the cost to install the struts/shocks/springs, mounts and camber bolts. They said 260. Not bad at all! From everything I've read.

#19 ·
No, not bad.

Right, already had the tune :facepalm:

#20 · (Edited)
So I went ahead and installed the shocks and springs and panhard. I have the Steeda bushing and mount on the way that I got from member here and I'm saving up now for the upper adjustable and the lower relocations. I know it's the not most correct way to proceed but patience has never been a virtue of mine. She looks so much better now! I need to go get under there and adjust the shocks, see what levels I can get them to.

Next steps after the control arms will be sways (maybe, still haven't decided. I don't want a super stiff suspension for my DD), a CS spoiler, matte black stripes, repainted bumper (mine came used and all scratched up), cf dash inlay, resonator deleted from my frpp sports, boss splitter most likely, and I think I'll be about done.

Any thoughts from yall on any additional directions I should be going? Would obviously love more power but I don't think the boss mani or the cobra jet would do well for me since I'm not a big racer. Just enjoy my very spirited driving every day!

#21 ·
So I've been having some troubles with fifth gear as well as getting locked out of gears at high speeds. Or even at slower speeds sometimes. So since the car came with mods already, I don't know exactly what has been done. I saw a good deal of the steeda shifter bracket and bushings, so I jumped on it. It's here!

Gotta wait till next week for the I stall, but I am looking forward to trying this. And shoot, even if there is already some sort of mount and bushing there that isn't stock, I'll try this one just to see if it helps.

#23 ·
Well I'm not looking to get a new shorthrow. The car came with a Barton, which is fine for me. This is more so in case I don't have a Barton bushing and bracket on it. And if I do, I still might give the steeds a go and see if it improves anything.

#24 ·
I have the Mgw and really like it! I wish I had gone with a steeda bushing on the stock shifter just to see how much better it was. id be surprised if there's a Barton shifter on the car w/o the bushing/bracket, but hey, try it and see what it does for ya. Good luck.

#27 ·
So I got a set of Jack stands finally to use. Jacked up the car and it seems I do have the Barton 2 post shifter bracket. I decided to stick with that one after all. So I'm just out searching now for a good deal on the adjustable upper control arm as well as the lower relocation brackets. Once I get those, I'll be pretty content with where the car is. Then it's a lot of appearance parts and mods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

#28 ·
I'd be really curious to know if the adj upper arm is all you need. Be a cool case study so to speak if you replaced the UCA first, then decided if you needed the relo brackets.

#34 ·
So one thing that has been on my mind lately is my exhaust setup. It's currently BBK long tubes, o/r x, and Ford racing sports. The issue I'm thinking of is that the gf and I are contemplating moving to cali in the semi near future. If so, I know the emissions there are much stricter than here in Florida. I really don't wanna have to go and get the long tubes removed just to pass emissions. I could go looking for a catted shorty h pipe and get the o2 sensors I stalled and relocated correctly. I believe that would work from what I've read. Any thoughts on that? Just trying to plan for the future if possible/needed while avoiding removing the long tubes.

Also does anyone have suggestions for a shorty h o/r I could go with over the x I have? Just prefer the h sound personally.

#35 ·
I just moved from California to Oregon after being in California for 15+ years.
If the items you put on do not have a C.A.R.B sticker/certificate you can pretty much count on taking them off.
Some of things most smog stations are looking for is exhaust and intake changes.
With that said all they do on newer cars is plug into OBD port and run a diagnostics just like the dealer would.
One other thing is that if you have a tune the only pump gas available is 91............you can't get 93, although you can get 91 unleaded racing gas in some areas.
One last thought..................why would anyone in their right mind move to California other than the weather??????????? Where are you thinking about move to?
Depending on where you live, housing is astronomical, earthquakes, smog, non-friendly to hot rodder community..:facepalm:

#39 ·
One other interesting thing about any California car that must go through smog, if you had a 99 Mustang and wanted to put a Coyote motor in it.................you are SOL, the replacement motor must be of the same year, make, model as the car. If the car is exempt from DMV it doesn't make any difference.

#44 · (Edited)
So my buddy pointed me in the direction of some roushes axle backs for sale. Got em for a killer price. Gonna try them out instead of the drop sports. I think they will be nuts with the long tubes and the off road pipe. I'll decide which set I like better and sell the other. Will be fun to hear how it goes.

Also I have recently learned of the watts link setup. While overkill for what I want and do, most likely, it has still spiked my intrigue. Anyone here have experience with it?

#45 ·
Hey all. I haven't posted here in a while. Been busy enjoying my stang and buying a house. Anyway I have a few new parts coming in this weekend. While I me upper and lower control arms as well as lower relocation brackets. I'm very excited to get those installed! Also got a set of hid projector lights. Gonna try to figure out how to install those shortly. I am not a huge fan of electric work so this is gonna be rough.
Anyone have any tips for installing the lowers and upper? The upper worries me a bit.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.