The replacement AC compressor I ordered from Rock Auto
is now installed. During replacement, only 5oz of refrigerant came out. The label under the hood says there's supposed to be 21oz.
I took the OEM AC compressor apart today & here's what I found:
- Clutch bearing spun freely, no slop/play, no sign of wear
- The PAG oil was clean and I couldn't find any hints of contamination inside.
- No wear on the pistons nor the cylinder walls
- No wear on the swash plate shaft thrust bearings
- No wear on the swash plate
- Possible wear on the bottom side of the piston bearings (I don't know if that's what they are called). There are two of these half-circular bearings per piston, one for each side of the swash plate.
The curved portion of all 10 bearings looked like they had been worn/flattened. I'm not an AC compressor expert - they might have been designed like that but my gut feeling is that they were not.
See Photos Here: https://www.mustangevolution.com/for...93-albums6961/