2012 Mustang Gt MODS - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #1

2012 Mustang Gt MODS

Trying to increase horsepower a decent amount what are some of the best things I can do at the engine or part of the transmission to increase horsepower and torque. Something not to expensive thank you!
Kdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2018, 02:04 AM   #2

Region: California
You cant buy cheap parts and except the car to be fast especially on a GT. If its cheap its because its a crap part and will break quick or not fit right. The best two things to do to a GT is a tune and PMAS intake. The best tuners for a GT are AED,Lund, VMP and MPT. MPT will be the cheapest of all tuners and is good but AED and Lund will get the most power and fastest shifts with the GT. Stay away from American Muscle aka Bama Tuner as they suck for a tuner. Once you get a tune you will start having traction problems especially if you have the crappy *** Pirelli tires. Basic suspension upgrades to improve traction is lower control arms, adjustable upper control arm, lowering springs. Better tires and springs will help the most. The best tires for all season are Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 and BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S. You want the widest tire the rim will allow for the rear. 275s or 285s will work for a good rear tire size.
AirRaid CAI, BBK Ceramic LT Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Borla ATAK, MPT 93/97 Tune, Steeda LCA's and UCA, Steeda Relocation Brackets, 373 gears, WaveTrac LSD, Dynotech Driveshaft. Prothane Motor Mounts, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar & brace.Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's custom valved. Coming soon Circle D 3800 Stall and Lone Wolf Intake Manifold.
willb2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:23 AM   #3
Staff
Staff

Region: Europe
Power mods - Longtubes/midpipe/catback and then a good tune which has already been talked about. That's it. CAI will do nothing, no other gimmick **** will do anything.

Then, suspension suspension suspension. Again, already mentioned. BMR makes good stuff. Invest in some real good rims and tires too. 4.10 gears for the stick shift, leave the stock 3.15 gears in there if you are automatic.

If you are a stick shift, MGW Race Spec shifter. If you are auto, call Circle D and talk to them about what converter is best for you.

That's it besides cosmetics until you get into a power adder. If you need to. A GT with exhaust/tune/suspension and a good driver is an 11 second car. Do you need faster than this?

And define "not too expensive". Because you don't get to spend a few $hundred on these cars and get any results. The cheaper decent exhausts for these cars, full longtube exhaust is going to be $1000 for everything if you do the installation. If all you have is a few $hundred... well save up for a Lund/AED/VMP tune and go with that for now. But if you want the car to be legit fast you're going to need about $3k-$4k doing all the work yourself. Which is actually real cheap for what you wind up getting.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2018, 11:59 AM   #4
Lorraine's driver

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Power mods - Longtubes/midpipe/catback and then a good tune which has already been talked about. That's it. CAI will do nothing, no other gimmick **** will do anything.

Then, suspension suspension suspension. Again, already mentioned. BMR makes good stuff. Invest in some real good rims and tires too. 4.10 gears for the stick shift, leave the stock 3.15 gears in there if you are automatic.

If you are a stick shift, MGW Race Spec shifter. If you are auto, call Circle D and talk to them about what converter is best for you.

That's it besides cosmetics until you get into a power adder. If you need to. A GT with exhaust/tune/suspension and a good driver is an 11 second car. Do you need faster than this?

And define "not too expensive". Because you don't get to spend a few $hundred on these cars and get any results. The cheaper decent exhausts for these cars, full longtube exhaust is going to be $1000 for everything if you do the installation. If all you have is a few $hundred... well save up for a Lund/AED/VMP tune and go with that for now. But if you want the car to be legit fast you're going to need about $3k-$4k doing all the work yourself. Which is actually real cheap for what you wind up getting.
Try to find used parts mentioned in ^here^
Old 12-01-2018, 06:23 PM   #5

Region: New York
Yup, what Scotty and ab said. 2011-14 have been out long enough there are lots of used parts...especially exhaust. I wouldn’t buy a used handheld tuner, buy that thru whoever you choose to
tune the car but get the exhaust parts first, otherwise you’ll have to buy the tune twice if you don’t buy the parts (in this case exhaust) thru the tuner.
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile :D
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:19 PM   #6

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdizzle View Post
Trying to increase horsepower a decent amount what are some of the best things I can do at the engine or part of the transmission to increase horsepower and torque. Something not to expensive thank you!
I think all of the ideas were good although you need to define "decent amount of HP increase. Also give us an idea of what you mean by, "not too expensive". Just tell us how much you want to spend $$$$.
If this is a DD then I'd go a different route vs., something only drive on weekends.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #7

Region: West Virgina
I will add to this list the 18 GT intake manifold. I picked up a new takeoff for $234 shipped. It and headers are my winter project.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
*Now with Beefcake torque booster kit*
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:36 AM   #8
Staff
Staff

Yeah you mentioned in the other thread to call a dealer that sells the factory supercharger upgrades for a take-off new 2018+ intake. What dealer did you wind up calling? Lebanon?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:28 AM   #9

Region: New Jersey
is the 2018 intake a direct bolt on ? fuel rails etc from old intake swap right over ?
Old 12-11-2018, 06:06 PM   #10

Region: California
Yes the 2018 intake manifold is a direct bolt on to the 11-14 GT with just 1 small modification. You have to modify 1 or 2 of the vacuum hoses i think they have to be made longer. Its on a youtube video but the rest basically bolts all up.
AirRaid CAI, BBK Ceramic LT Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Borla ATAK, MPT 93/97 Tune, Steeda LCA's and UCA, Steeda Relocation Brackets, 373 gears, WaveTrac LSD, Dynotech Driveshaft. Prothane Motor Mounts, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar & brace.Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's custom valved. Coming soon Circle D 3800 Stall and Lone Wolf Intake Manifold.
willb2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #11

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I think all of the ideas were good although you need to define "decent amount of HP increase. Also give us an idea of what you mean by, "not too expensive". Just tell us how much you want to spend $$$$.
If this is a DD then I'd go a different route vs., something only drive on weekends.
+1
What is "Decent Amount" and whats your budget?
sdavenp8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #12

Region: Connecticut
You guys do realize the original poster hasn't been back since starting this thread?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:22 AM   #13

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb2305 View Post
The best tires for all season are Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS
Funny you mention these tires. I had a thread on another board about tires and after my research (reading various reviews & opinions), these are the tires I selected and had installed a few days ago. They are replacing MPSS that lasted only 15K miles and were noisy as hell.

I’ve also had the MPS A/S +3’s and the Pirelli Summer tires. The Pirelli tires and the Michelin tires got really noisy before replacing.

So far I’m impressed with these Bridgestone tires. I kind of wish I had went with a wider selection for the rear, but I thing a square setup is better for my driving case.

Anyway, just glad to hear they made the cut for your recommendations. I’ve never had Bridgestone tires before.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:25 AM   #14

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
You guys do realize the original poster hasn't been back since starting this thread?
Yeah, he does seem to have been a hit and run poster
Old 08-03-2019, 05:58 AM   #15

Region: Georgia
Hey guys I’m in similar situation as OP, but I will pay for quality. I have a ‘12 GT that I want to rebuild the motor. What are your all thoughts on rebuilding with upgraded cams and everything else. I’m still learning but I want to do it the right way.
jjl3717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #16
Staff
Staff

Replied in your other thread. Low mileage pullout from a Gen2 Coyote. Drop it in and go. You don't need cams you don't need any craziness. Gen2 engines are good for 800+ with a power adder.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT