mt82 issues - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-05-2019, 01:12 AM   #36
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtmoto View Post
It's not really a waste, these are upgrades. With just the Energy suspension bushings for the shifter and transmission mount, maybe a hundred bucks and a couple of hours time, you will find out if can be helped. It may/will make a huge difference in the precision of your shifting. The remote shifter alignment is critical and the slop in the factory bushings is really criminal. May as well do a gearbox fluid change while under there. It's probably way due for one. I will suggest Redline DCTF. I tried both Motorcrafts, redline MTL, BG syncro, the DCTF is by far my favorite.
It is a waste for him if he swaps from the MT82...

Also the energy bushings for the shifter and the trans mount ARE a waste, because they don't get rid of one of the primary issues with the MT82 which is the linkage itself. The stock linkage is awful and the ONLY fix for that is the MGW shifter which replaces the entire thing. It also makes the energy bushings pointless because the entire shifter assembly is mounted and lined up 100% on the trans. Basically turns it into a toploader for all intents and purposes.

The other issue with going to a Tremec is you lose the MT82 gearing which honestly is pretty optimal for the Coyote...

If it were me... I'd still give the MGW shifter/hose/spring a shot vs dropping $5K on a magnum XL and install if $500 worth of parts would fix the MT82. Or even just have Ford do a brand new MT82 with a warranty because a good MT82 can hold a lot of power.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2019, 06:22 AM   #37

Region: Arizona
the biggest reason why I havent switched to the magnum yet is because of the gearing. the mt82 gearing is a lot nicer but with boost it wont matter a whole lot. but then again I'll be waiting to boost the car even longer now because the money I was going to buy the blower with I'd now be buying a trans with. my car no longer has a warranty on it so ford would probably be an expensive option. I'm pretty positive the synchros are my issue but do you think if I did the small upgrades to the trans in its condition and a clutch itll hold the power for a little with a blower? if I can get some time out of it I can save and weigh my options out once the car is blown but it's hard to make the decision now. if I were to get a good clutch like a mcleod rst for my mt82 it wouldnt be a complete waste bc I'd just get a 26 spline disc but the shifter would be an expensive waste if I swap it. a rebuilt mt82 is about 1700 if I went that route

Sent from my SM-G965U using Mustang Evolution mobile app
arena314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:17 AM   #38

https://www.lethalperformance.com/ca...ustang-gt.html
I might just pull the plug on this and see how it goes. much cheaper then a magnum. I dont track my car and I dont plan on running very aggressive tires so you think itll hold up to some power? I like the gearing in the mt82 and they shift great when they work

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2019, 05:33 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I'm using straight Amsoil MTG 75W-90 with no issues to report, except when it's cold I have to go from 1st to 3rd. When warmed up everything is fine. Calimer recommends 2 qts. of the Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid, which is 5W-30 and .7 qts. of the MTG. Maybe I outta just go back to the OEM Ford fluid, seeing that I don't track it or race it, beat on it here n there about it.

2014 GT/CS 6spd., Ford Racing handling pack, Flowmasters out the rear.
stanggtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:22 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by arena314 View Post
https://www.lethalperformance.com/ca...ustang-gt.html
I might just pull the plug on this and see how it goes. much cheaper then a magnum. I dont track my car and I dont plan on running very aggressive tires so you think itll hold up to some power? I like the gearing in the mt82 and they shift great when they work

It's hard to say because Ben will not divulge the "tricks of the trade".
And it will depend a lot on how the car is driven.
That seems like a decent deal I guess, but I don't recall seeing any mention of a warranty for that transmission. That's something that should be investigated further....
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:00 AM   #41

I just decided on what I'm gonna do and bought all the parts already. I got an mgw race spec for the mt82, a McLeod rst clutch with Mcleod braided line, 2 qts of amosiol transmission fluid and 1 qt of the amsoil transaxle oil, new tob pilot bearing a rear main seal, McLeod lightened steel flywheel arp flywheel bolts and while I was at it I purchased 1 7/8" mbrp longtubes with the mbrp offroad hpipe to hopefully add a little bit of power and itll be a good supporting mod with a supercharger. hopefully this stuff helps my 2nd gear grinding issues in the cold

Old 03-24-2019, 05:40 PM   #42

hey guys I'm updating you all to my experience after having these mods installed:
mgw x spec short throw
mcloed rst
braided clutch line
lightened steel flywheel
2 qts of amsoil synchromesh then topped off with 75w-90 amsoil manual transmission gear lube
arp flywheel bolts
new tob, pilot bearing and rear main seal.
my original issue with all stock components was grinding 2nd gear bad in cold. after having everything installed for the past 125 miles the trans seems to shift smoother but 2nd gear still grinds for the first 10-15 minutes of driving it then after 2nd gear feels pretty damn good except for every now and again but it feels good after driving a little. but still grinds when it's cold. I noticed it goes into 2nd much better if I shift it at 3-3500 rpm. so on guessing the synchros are shot in 2nd huh?

'11 gt w/brembo package & fbo cammed 01 gt
Old 03-25-2019, 01:26 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

It's a shame that there doesn't seem to be any way to retrofit the S197 with the 10R80 transmission.

I like rowing through the gears as much as the next guy, but, under most circumstances, the new 10 speeds are making manual transmissions obsolete.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:27 PM   #44

yeah but I like manual to much to to put an auto in my mustang lol

Old 03-25-2019, 09:48 PM   #45
twk
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: North Carolina
[QUOTE=arena314;4261726599]yeah but I like manual to much to to put an auto in my mustang lol

twk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:21 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Your clutch change may fix your issue, keep it oem tho those mt82s are picky transmissions.
akumaJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:28 PM   #47

I already switched the clutch to a McLeod rst. thats what everyone recommends when it comes to aftermarket clutches for these cars I eventually wanna put 600 or so hp through the car so stock clutch wouldnt hold up. all the mods I listed have already been done. weird to me because if the synchros or something is going bad in the trans I dome understand why when it's up to temp it's fine. I shift into 2nd at 3-3500 rpm for a much smoother shift in this car. Saturday afternoon it was beautiful it was 70-75 out and perfect weather I had the car out for hours and it shifted up and down into 2nd like a dream all day long after it was warmed up..

Old 04-02-2019, 12:15 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Try Redline 31004 DCTF......it has completely fixed my cold shift nibbling and it shifts up and down perfectly now.......it's also approved by Ford FWIW!!
Coosawjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:59 PM   #49

hmm I can give it a try. lots of people told me to try this amsoil stuff so I did. it helped a little bit not too much when the trans is cold

Old 04-02-2019, 03:08 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by arena314 View Post
hmm I can give it a try. lots of people told me to try this amsoil stuff so I did. it helped a little bit not too much when the trans is cold

Mine's a 2014....not sure if any improvements were made by Ford from 2011?? Hope it works for ya!!
Coosawjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:26 PM   #51

eh I dont think much was changed between the 11-14's drivetrain wise

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT