Rear Suspension Noises - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-23-2019, 07:19 PM   #1

Rear Suspension Noises

I have a 2014 Mustang GT convertible and purchased direct from Steeda a suspension kit for the car which included the following: Springs, Struts, Shocks, Front sway bar, Rear sway bar and Panhard bar. My local Ford dealer about a month ago installed all the components on the car. However, there is a crunching sound coming from the rear. The service guy told me this when I picked it up and said he installed everything per Steeda's instructions and was unsure what it might be. They told me to drive it and their hope was the suspension would "settle" in and the noises would go away. Now mind you the factory suspension never made a noise so I find this very unusual. I spoke to them Friday and told them it has not gotten any better, I believe it's gotten worse. The sound is made at slow speeds when the rear suspension has to flex, ie. going over a speed bump or if there is a great radial degree in the road it will make it then as well. I spend a lot on these pieces and for installation and it sounds like ****. The Ford dealer is trying to tell me this kit re-uses the factory bushings on the rear shocks and they believe that is the issue. I would say great, But they want to charge me $150 to put in new shock bushings. If that's not the cause, Then I'm out $150 and still trying to figure out the issue. I do not know a lot about suspensions and relied on Steeda to provide me with a setup and the Ford dealer to install it. Does anyone have any idea or advice on what I could do. I'm not a mechanic nor have tools, So I will have to take it to someone. I just don't want to have to dump another $500 in something that should of worked with what I already spent. Please help!
jaweiss2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2019, 05:08 AM   #2
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I can't believe a company would sell you new shocks and have you use the old bushings. Call Steeda and see if this is normal, I believe they should have provided you with new shock bushings. When you get new bushings take the car to a shop that specializes in suspension work. Suspension noises are hard to find, my 2018 had a bad front strut mount plate from the factory and it took forever to get the dealer to identify the problem. In addition, $150 to change the bushings is ridiculous in my mind; it's probably an hour job and the price the dealer is quoting seems high.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBK View Post
I In addition, $150 to change the bushings is ridiculous in my mind; it's probably an hour job and the price the dealer is quoting seems high.
That is roughly the hourly shop rate that most dealerships charge nowadays...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBK View Post
I can't believe a company would sell you new shocks and have you use the old bushings. Call Steeda and see if this is normal, I believe they should have provided you with new shock bushings. When you get new bushings take the car to a shop that specializes in suspension work. Suspension noises are hard to find, my 2018 had a bad front strut mount plate from the factory and it took forever to get the dealer to identify the problem. In addition, $150 to change the bushings is ridiculous in my mind; it's probably an hour job and the price the dealer is quoting seems high.
Yes, I did ask Steeda. They said they re-use the factory bushings and only to replace them if they are worn. The dealership told me they looked to be in good shape so they did re-use them. The bushing kit I was told is $30 and the labor for install is $120 which is the $150 total.
jaweiss2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

One way to diagnose the source of the noise is to spray some penetrating oil such as PB Blaster or WD40 onto each of the bushings on all of the moving parts of the rear suspension. You need to apply the oil to each of the joints ONE AT A TIME. After you spray one joint, go drive the car and see if the noise goes away. Continue spraying each of the bushings until you either find the noise or have eliminated all of the possible bushings as being the source of the noise.
Penetrating oil will be only a temporary solution to any noise, as it will likely be washed out the first time the car is driven in wet weather. So if you do find a creaky bushing, it will need to be removed and properly greased.
This might help to avoid doing any "guesswork diagnosis" commonly found at the dealership shops.

Good luck!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
One way to diagnose the source of the noise is to spray some penetrating oil such as PB Blaster or WD40 onto each of the bushings on all of the moving parts of the rear suspension. You need to apply the oil to each of the joints ONE AT A TIME. After you spray one joint, go drive the car and see if the noise goes away. Continue spraying each of the bushings until you either find the noise or have eliminated all of the possible bushings as being the source of the noise.
Penetrating oil will be only a temporary solution to any noise, as it will likely be washed out the first time the car is driven in wet weather. So if you do find a creaky bushing, it will need to be removed and properly greased.
This might help to avoid doing any "guesswork diagnosis" commonly found at the dealership shops.

Good luck!
This is good advice but since you’re not a mechanic it’s probably worthless to you. Start in the trunk, on the drivers side. Near the wheel well, pull the insulation back (the carpet like stuff) and locate the shock stud with nut and top bushing.
Look here https://www.americanmuscle.com/koni-...t-install.html 4th pic down under Rear Shock Installation.
Personally I’m suspecting they didn’t tighten one or both of the top shock nuts. Why? Because if they aren’t tightened then the shock stud slides up and down in the bushing and the hole in the body and can sound crunchy. Steeda is a superb company and my money is on the install done improperly. If you can’t find it just stop over and I’ll find it for you. 🙂
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
Personally I’m suspecting they didn’t tighten one or both of the top shock nuts. Why? Because if they aren’t tightened then the shock stud slides up and down in the bushing and the hole in the body and can sound crunchy. Steeda is a superb company and my money is on the install done improperly. If you can’t find it just stop over and I’ll find it for you. 🙂
I had an extremely similar situation almost 20 years ago.

I had a 99 Cobra and had major suspension components installed. (shocks, struts, springs, bushings, and some other stuff)

I heard a noise like the OP described so pulled back the carpet and found I could easily twist the mounting bolt with my thumbs.

Tightened it down and I was good to go.
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:31 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1DBLITZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
I had an extremely similar situation almost 20 years ago.

I had a 99 Cobra and had major suspension components installed. (shocks, struts, springs, bushings, and some other stuff)

I heard a noise like the OP described so pulled back the carpet and found I could easily twist the mounting bolt with my thumbs.

Tightened it down and I was good to go.
👍
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #9

Region: Tennessee
Make sure the shield behind the brake rotor is not bent and rubbing the brake rotor.
Blkjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry to hear that buddy. Make sure any part with poly bushing (mostly the sway bar bushings) are extremely greased with suspension grease. They tend to be noisy when not greased a lot. If you’re in the Bay Area we can diagnose it together I’m free on the weekends
akumaJR is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT