Ford ProCal/ SCT X4 tune conflict - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #1

Ford ProCal/ SCT X4 tune conflict

I recently purchased a 2014 GT from a dealership. I have a few mods I want to add including an SCT X4 tuner. When I try to connect the SCT X4 to change the rear end gear ratio, I get a Vehicle Unsupported. Along with a note that says MGMPBAA* contact technical support.

The issue I ran into is the Mustang has a Ford Performance Power Upgrade Package M-FR1-MGTB. The upgrade came with a ProCal tuner. I do not have the handheld tuner, so I do not have access to the stock tune. I called SCT X4 and after a 45 minute wait they were absolutely no help, they said it has an aftermarket tune and hung up on me.

I called Ford Performance and they said the only way to remove the tune is to have a dealership reflash the PCM. I have been to three Ford Dealerships and the last one was finally able to reflash the PCM (or so they say). I am still getting the same error on the SCT and the detected PCM strategy is the same as it was before MGMPBAA. My PCM is a BLV4 DR3A-12A650-ABE/ DR3A-12B684-BA PN: 5WY8908GFCE.

Has anyone encountered this issue before?
CenTex302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2019, 05:44 PM   #2
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
SCT Tuner

I believe the tuner is married to the vehicle.
If it wasn't purchased/registered to the vehicle it may not access the PCM to load the tune.
There should be nothing stopping the dealer from reflashing the PCM.
Are you sure the previous owner didn't remove the ProCal and return to stock?
Finally, the SCT tuner will read codes on any obd II vehicle, at least through 2017.
It will read codes on Chevy's and Subaru's (both my other vehicles).
Where did you get the tuner?
Old 03-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #3

The SCT X4 is unmarried with unlocks left, it is the 7015 model loaded for Ford vehicles. The original owner loaded a Ford Racing ProCal tune and then sold the car without the ProCal unit. I was on the phone with SCT and verfied the tuner was up to date, unlocked and supported my vehicle. After sending them some logs they confirmed that there was an aftermarket Ford Racing tune still on the PCM (even after the last dealer said they were able to successfully return the PCM to stock tune). I have tried three Ford dealerships so far and none of them has been able to successfully flash the PCM back to as-built status. They all say that when they connect with the VCM using the IDS software that the PCM does not give them the ability to reflash even using the tear tag method. They attempt to force a reflash and the PCM does not respond to the reflash. The vehicle will start up and run fine but the PCM will not program. I've even looped in Ford Racing Performance and they are stumped as well.
CenTex302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT