Xpipe Install after cats possible? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-29-2019, 01:31 PM   #1

Exclamation Xpipe Install after cats possible?

Hi all,

I was wonder if it was possible to install the 14421 Corsa Xpipe without the cat deletes.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/corsa-x-...-2014/p/XP138/

The package comes with 5 pieces and I wanted to install just 3 of the 5. Circled in red

Those 3 Pieces including the x pipe itself would look somewhat like this

Repeating my question, would just those pieces in the last follow fit right up to the factory catalytic converters? Or would I have to install the cat delete pipe included?

I can not install cat deletes at the moment due to Maryland laws so I was just wondering if I could take this route instead.
Kino99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019, 10:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'm pretty sure that if you take that box of exhaust parts to any competent exhaust shop, they will be able to weld that X crossover into your existing exhaust system without much trouble.
An exhaust shop could also likely order just the X crossover from one of the many exhaust parts vendors, and you could keep that aftermarket off road exhaust system intact for use in the future.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:13 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I'm pretty sure that if you take that box of exhaust parts to any competent exhaust shop, they will be able to weld that X crossover into your existing exhaust system without much trouble.
An exhaust shop could also likely order just the X crossover from one of the many exhaust parts vendors, and you could keep that aftermarket off road exhaust system intact for use in the future.
How would installing an x-pipe change the tone of the stock exhaust on a 2015 GT? I want something that would make it 10 to 15% louder but retain the around-town mildness and NO DRONE on the highway....none!
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2019, 09:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
How would installing an x-pipe change the tone of the stock exhaust on a 2015 GT? I want something that would make it 10 to 15% louder but retain the around-town mildness and NO DRONE on the highway....none!
Would prob look into getting a pair of axle-backs first before making changes to midpipe
Old 03-30-2019, 10:08 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino99 View Post
Would prob look into getting a pair of axle-backs first before making changes to midpipe
A competent exhaust place could probably cobble up an x-pipe and install it for a fraction of the cost of a complete axle back setup....I was just wondering what effect an “X” might have to the rest of the system. I LOVE the sound of the stock exhaust when being whipped hard, but it’s too quiet the rest of the time.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
An X-type of crossover generally provides a louder, more raspy exhaust note. It takes away from the classic muscle car tone that is associated with an H-crossover.
I agree with the OP, I would start with the axle-back before messing around with the mid-pipe.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:34 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino99 View Post
I presume that you are looking specifically for the X-pipe sound or you would be following your own advice.
I honestly don't know if that mid-pipe will fit the stock exhaust without using the cat deletes. It very well might.
Corsa would probably know the answer to that question. Or, if you have the mid-pipe in your possession, you could climb underneath the car, and try to match parts to see if they will fit/match up to the existing exhaust.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I presume that you are looking specifically for the X-pipe sound or you would be following your own advice.
I honestly don't know if that mid-pipe will fit the stock exhaust without using the cat deletes. It very well might.
Corsa would probably know the answer to that question. Or, if you have the mid-pipe in your possession, you could climb underneath the car, and try to match parts to see if they will fit/match up to the existing exhaust.

Yeah I have the Corsa Extremes. Was looking to change out my x pipe as well but realized too late that I bought the wrong x pipe. (But I do intend to go cat less when I move so I saved the package)

I've sent Corsa a email already but they are taking a bit to respond.

I will try to line up the x pipe in the following week whenever I get a chance to.

Another quick question, if Im installing this x pipe and not replacing or deleting the factory cats, do I still need a tune?
Old 03-30-2019, 02:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Nope. A tune will not be necessary.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
I replaced the OEM resonator with a Ford Performance X-pipe. There is a noticeable sound increase. There is at least one YouTube video that will give you a taste.

I then added the Ford Performance Borla Touring axle back mufflers, because I needed more sound. It's a perfect balance, IMHO. Louder but not too loud. Zero drone too.

Because we have convertibles the exhaust sound will be louder.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah you can install it without the catless section but there will be cutting and (or) welding of the oem cats flange which i would not advice.
akumaJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:58 PM   #12

I installed Pype-bomb axle-backs on my '11 GT, which produced a gnarly note. Then installed an X-pipe, and it mellowed the edges, keeping the depth of the sound. Factory headers. All bolted right in, in my driveway. I did have to replace all the bolts with stainless, though.

Alex
Alxndr13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT