Stock airbox with CAI Tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-18-2019, 10:43 PM   #1

Stock airbox with CAI Tune

Hi,
I have a 2011 GT with Boss 302 Intake Manifold, JLT carbon fiber CAI, both installed and tuned by American Muscle and the previous owner.
I need to pass the smog test in California.
I have swapped the stock manifold and the car runs fine with the CAI.
When I put the stock airbox, I get a rough, surging idle and code P061b.
I'm trying to figure out if the problem is in the tune or in the stock airbox.
Isn't the purpose of a tune to allow the ecu to "understand" higher rates of airflow?
Should the car run fine with a CAI tune and a stock airbox?
I don't have the tuner since I bought the car without it.

Thanks.
santon834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #2

Region: Indiana
Stock airbox with CAI Tune

If I’m looking at the correct JLT intake, it required a tune to run properly when it was first installed. The reason some CAIs require a tune is that the diameter of the tube surrounding the MAF sensor is larger than stock. This larger diameter needs to be programmed into the ECU (in layman’s terms).

When you reinstalled the stock intake without changing the tune back to stock, you made the MAF sensor readings incorrect. To be exact, the ECU thinks there is more air entering the engine than there actually is. This is likely why reinstalling your stock intake is making it idle roughly.

You either need a tune that is designed for the stock intake, or you need to put the JLT back on.

Edit: notice that “faulty MAF sensor” is one of the possible causes of a P061b codes... https://www.autocodes.com/p061b_ford.html This tells me that the stock MAF with the JLT tune is likely the problem.

Hope this helps...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2011 GT/CS Convertible, Performance White w/ Black Top, CDC Shaker System and Light Bar, Cervinis Chin Spoiler/Splitter, Ford Performance Lower Springs, Ford Performance Sport Axle-Backs.
GN_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Shoulda made sure the tuner was with the car... Contact Lund, AED or VMP and see what they can do for you. American Muscle tunes are complete junk and should be replaced. The stock airbox should stay on as the CAI gains you nothing. Sell the JLT and make some money back.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 11:07 AM   #4

Thanks a lot!
santon834 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
cai