2018 manifold on a 2014 Will it pass Smog Check? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-11-2019, 02:17 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
2018 manifold on a 2014 Will it pass Smog Check?

As the title stated. Thinking about a 2018 manifold swap on a 2014. But im in CA so I have to put up with that smog ordeal every other year. However, my question is, would it be possible to pass smog check with all other parts staying legal w/ CARB sticker but the intake?

I mean, looking at the difference between a 14 and 18 mani I'm positively convinced that in the eyes of an average smog tech, unless he deal with mustangs all year round, it's pretty hard to tell the difference between them, right?

Anyone with experience please chime in.
BurntToAshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 03:40 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
It should be just fine, its a 50 state legal OEM manifold. As long as it doesn't mess with anything reporting ready you'll be good.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Contact Shaun at AED. He's in California also and has dealt with this very situation 100's of times I'm sure.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2019, 03:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It has been my experience that you are correct in your assumption that the average smog technician will not be able to tell the difference between a 2014 manifold, and a 2018 manifold.... Frankly, since I don't own a Coyote powered car, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference!
I smogged a truck with internal engine mods for years. It was fairly obvious to most folks that it wasn't stock, by the sound of the exhaust. It was always within the parameters of the various emissions levels and it passed inspection every time. It seemed like it was a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy with them.
In any case, don't volunteer any information. It's all stock as far as you know... And it is.

It is perfectly acceptable to swap OEM factory parts, as far as California smog laws are concerned. The parts must be manufactured no earlier than the date that the vehicle itself was manufactured.
I'm thinking that at some point, any replacement engine for your car, that is manufactured by Ford, will only be available in 2018-up specs.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:35 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
What I like about NJ, they hook up to the OBD2 to make sure everything is reporting, check that you have converters on a camera and give you a sticker. In Spain for American servicemember cars its basically "do the lights work and are there cats"? That said my car is about as emissions legal as you can get without the original H pipe... EGR hooked up, cats, good clean tune on it.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT