Brake Issue/Noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-28-2019, 08:40 AM   #1

Brake Issue/Noise

I have a 2014 Mustang GT that has Wilwood's all the way around. They started squealing when coming too a stop so it was recommended by a local shop to replace the rear pads as they were worn. I also just went ahead and had them do the front pads as well. They replaced them with Wilwood's BP10 which is what Wilwood recommended. Anyways, I have the car back now and it's making a groan/moan sound after you release the brakes after they have warmed up. I can't tell if it's coming from the front or back as my loud exhaust is making it difficult to determine. It did not do this with the old pads. It does not do it everytime you release the back, I would say about 50% of the time. The shop said to "break" the pads in for a while and see if it goes away. I've always been told any break noise is bad and it should be check out. The best way I can describe this moan is it sounds like if you are pushing a heavy piece of furniture against a hard floor slowly and it makes a moan/groan sound from the friction. Or if you are driving down the highway and drive over those noise strips they have on the side of the road that makes your tires make that moan sound. I'm not a mechanic so I'm going to have to take this to someone, I guess my concern is if this is normal after a pad change or if something is truely wrong?
jaweiss2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
If I did the work and there were crazy noises, I would find out what was the cause. But I do my own work. A squeal is one thing, moans are sounding like she aint happy with something the shop did or didnt do. Drive it, follow the shops advice I guess. It will get worse or it will get better. Some pads/rotors do make some noise. Most clear up when they seat. If it dont clear up with in 500 to 1k miles the shop will need to diagnose the noise and check their work. They can only put you off for so long....
You could call Willwood and see if they have any advice....
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:08 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
you should put copper grease between the brake pad and the piston, and sand the pad part that goes against the disc and brake gently for the first 100 miles approx so that they settle and do not crystallize the brake pad
Pelayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2019, 07:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Check with the manufacturer for the bedding/break in procedure....
Old 07-30-2019, 04:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You shouldn't be too surprised that your high performance brakes are making noise.

Just like that large piece of furniture vibrating across the floor, that you used as an example, any squealing, groaning, or moaning noise coming from your brakes is being caused by a vibration.
Oftentimes, it is due to the surface of the rotor not being perfectly smooth. Likely caused by brake pad material that has adhered to the rotor unevenly.
To ensure that the brakes are not noisy, the rotors should be resurfaced/replaced every time that the pads are replaced.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:05 PM   #6

I did find the bed in procedure off of Wilwoods website. I did it the best I could based on traffic Sunday evening. The moan/groan is still there after the brakes heat up. I spoke to Wilwood yesterday and they are sending me pad shims to have those tried. The tech on the line seemed confused saying he never heard of the brakes making those sounds. I've searched on the internet and it seems fairly common, However no one ever seems to post a fix or come back and say what was wrong if they did get it fixed. I wonder if maybe a caliper is not fully releasing. I know the shop lightly sanded the rotors before putting the new pads on. I did not have these brakes originally installed, The previous owner did. According to his receipts the brakes only have about 8000 miles on them. With that being said, I would hope $350 a piece rotors last longer then that. I I have to replace the rotors, I'll just have some OEM replacements put on the car and sell the WIlwoods. I don't race or anything so the whole system seems over kill or a weekend cruise.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It's expensive to drive a race car!

For everyone's amusement, and education, it would be great if you can find the source of the noise, and post the fix.
But you are probably better off putting the stock brakes back on.... Or one of the factory performance option derivatives... For the intended use of your car.
The Wilwood pads wear out relatively quickly, and the other replacement parts are pricey.

Hopefully the shims will help. At the very least, it will give you an opportunity to give everything a close inspection while the calipers are off.

Good luck!
And keep us posted.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:17 PM   #8

Yes, I can't say many positive things about the Wilwoods at this point. I ordered the shims and also a caliper repair kit. I guess if that does not cure the problem, I'll just buy some stoptech rotors and calipers or something similar that's closer to OEM. Selling these brakes on Ebay would most likely get me more then enough to pay for all that with some cash left over. I will update once the shop goes back over.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Lets not jump to conclusions here. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the Wilwoods. They have thousands of satisfied customers. Find the issue, fix it, enjoy the upgrade over the oem blah blah, no character, functional but boring standard ford brakes. lol..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT