Winterization - Snow tires 2013 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Winterization - Snow tires 2013 GT

Hey everyone!

I'm considering getting a set of snow tires for the winter. i'm in Northwest Ohio and we get a mixed bag of winter conditions. I'm thinking of switching back to my stock suspension and stock rims (18") for winter, and relowering (Eibach sport plus) and going back to my 19" rims in the spring.

Has anyone used Blizzak WS80s on their mustang? If anyone has a preferred winter tire, please let me know!
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019, 03:52 AM   #2

Region: Maine
I have been using Michelin X-Ice on my Toyota Echo DD. They are the best winters I have ever used and tread life is super good. I'm sure the Blizzaks are very good as well. You may already know; narrower is better with plenty of fender clearance.
JerryZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:45 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Have a garage for the stang? Consider a winter beater? You can get a 5 speed Honda with 200k on it for like $1500 that'll get your through multiple winters.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019, 06:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Have a garage for the stang? Consider a winter beater? You can get a 5 speed Honda with 200k on it for like $1500 that'll get your through multiple winters.
Sadly, I do not have a garage.

I also have a 2005 Jaguar X-Type (3.0L AWD 5-spd manual) for the winter but it is constantly needing attention. If the opportunity to sell it comes up, I likely will. If I do, then I'll just take the mustang through this winter, too. It's already been my daily for two winters (without winter tires ) and I might end up replacing the Jaguar with a challenger (not sure I can live with the idea of an AWD CHallenger GT since they only come with the V6...) or just getting the one I want (392 TA). Whatever I do, the mustang stays! I'm at 118,000 miles with it and it's got some wear on it already so I'm not worried about keeping it pristine, though I do try to take care of it and keep it clean!
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Winter tires

I purchased Blizzaks for my 2004 GT several years ago (now have a 2012 Mustang). Anyway, the Blizzaks are phenominal! I had fun "dragging" front wheel drives in the snow. My car was helpless without them.
kipschitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:24 PM   #6

Michelin x-Ice 3’s are amazing.
TomcatSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:10 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'm assuming your stock tires on your '13 GT are Z speed-rated? If so, I wouldn't put any snow tires on it that don't at least have an H speed-rating (not entirely sure you can get snow tires that are speed-rated HIGHER than H, for that matter), and I'm not sure the Blizzaks are H speed-rated. When I search Tire Rack's site for snow tires for a 2013 Mustang GT with 18" tires, it returns only one result - Michelin X-Ice X13, which I'm sure are EXCELLENT snow tires. Any snow tires also made by Continental; Pirelli; Goodyear or Dunlop (have personal experience w/Dunlop snow tires) that are available in your size with an H speed-rating would also, I'm sure, work well for you.

I used to own a 1988 Mustang LX with a 302 V-8/automatic, and it had those Goodyear "Gatorback" tires on it. It was virtually undriveable in snow (I also live in OH; near Cleveland), and downright dangerous. I bought Dunlop snow tires for it (don't remember which ones; they might've been called M2), and they COMPLETELY transformed the car's driveability in snow - it went from the WORST car I ever drove in snow, to the BEST!
dmw_4814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: North Carolina
For winter driving it isn't likely someone 'needs' H speed rated tires. It's not like they are going to drive 130 mph in the snow.

I have a set of Blizzaks mounted on 2011 Mustang wheels that I picked up for my2013 Mustang. Last used them on my SHO and drove back and forth from Michigan to North Carolina with them. Definitely a difference in snow and ice from the all season tires. (they are available if someone wants to buy the set of tires mounted to wheels - not going to need them in North Carolina now that I live there full time and they won't fit the 2017 Mustang anyway)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:31 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
For winter driving it isn't likely someone 'needs' H speed rated tires. It's not like they are going to drive 130 mph in the snow.

I have a set of Blizzaks mounted on 2011 Mustang wheels that I picked up for my2013 Mustang. Last used them on my SHO and drove back and forth from Michigan to North Carolina with them. Definitely a difference in snow and ice from the all season tires. (they are available if someone wants to buy the set of tires mounted to wheels - not going to need them in North Carolina now that I live there full time and they won't fit the 2017 Mustang anyway)

I never said he "needed" H-rated (or, higher) tires, but even here in Ohio, there's not snow on the ground from, say, Nov 1st all the way through, say, Apr 1st. There's plenty of time spent driving on clear, dry roads, so why would you want to go from a Z-rated tire to, say, an S or T-rated tire? Besides, a tires speed rating ISN'T simply about how fast the tire can go; it's also about how a tire handles, too (sidewall stiffness; tread compounds, even the whole way a tire is constructed - they all contribute to a tire earning a certain speed rating).

To each his own - if you're happy running S or T-rated tires on your Mustang or Taurus SHO that was factory equipped with Z-rated tires, then more power to ya'! Not for me, though (and, I know of tire shops in this area that, for liability reasons, would flat out refuse to install S or T-rated tires on a car factory equipped with Z-rated tires).
dmw_4814 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT