T56 Swap - Slave Cylinder Shims?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-18-2019, 04:01 PM   #1

Region: Kansas
T56 Swap - Slave Cylinder Shims??

Sorry if there is already a thread about this, I've been pulling my hair out this afternoon searching and didn't see anything.

I bought a Tremec T56 Swap kit from JPC Racing for my 2014 Mustang GT and we've run into something interesting while installing it. The kit does not include any shims to go under the slave cylinder and doesn't mention using shims anywhere in the installation guide. From all the information I can find, it seems that the swap kit is supposed to go in without the need for shims. We put a brand new Exedy slave cylinder in, installed the transmission and drove it for a while without any issues. For unrelated reasons, we had to pull the transmission back out after about two thousand miles and when we did we discovered that the slave cylinder had over-extended past the flange on the end of the sleeve and fell apart into pieces as the transmission slid out. We did some more research and came across a guide (see attached image) with instructions on how to measure for the clearance required. One would think that would be important information to include in an installation instruction manual with the kit..

I bought a new slave cylinder and we measured several times just to be sure, getting 3.25" for A and 2.125" for B, for a clearance distance of 1.125". That is about 1" more than the recommended spacing. It doesn't appear that anyone even sells a shim larger than .188".

Has anyone run into something like this before? It would be very easy for me to make a thick spacer at work, but I just need to be sure of the dimension needed before I do. Would it be best to make a 1" spacer and operate the slave cylinder near its full compression as recommended, or given the odd circumstances should I try for a 3/4" or 1/2" spacer and operate it more in the middle of it's travel but hopefully still not over-extending it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tick Worksheet.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	258613  
Equinsu Ocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2019, 10:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

https://www.svtperformance.com/index...reads/1167105/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Cordero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

This guy has a thread he made on all the missing info on this swap. Only thing I could find that might help you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2019, 01:27 PM   #4

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordero1 View Post
This guy has a thread he made on all the missing info on this swap. Only thing I could find that might help you!

Thank you, as it happens that is the guide I found that had the diagram of how to measure for a spacer! I had some spare time at work today and made up a 7/8" spacer after reading that the Spec clearance recommendation is up to 0.25", Should find out soon if it is going to work, fingers crossed..
Equinsu Ocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Hope it does! Its a pain to be dropping the trans over & over again. Good luck!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT