should I worry - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-20-2019, 01:34 PM   #1

Region: Arizona
should I worry

hey guys so I've been trying to figure out for months what this noise is. I first starting hearing it in January I'd say and and have driven it about 3k miles sense I've starting hearing it. the sound can easily be heard standing next to the car or sitting in it with the windows down if I'm next to a wall or another parked car. if I'm sitting in the car with the windows down but nothing around me for the noise to bounce off of then I can't hear it unless I open the door and listen closely. you can hear the noise on when the engine is cold all the way up to when it's at full operating temp pretty much then it goes away almost completely (cant really be heard when warmed up) I run motocraft 5w-20 oil in it. it cant be heard at any rpm really besides idle. the car now has 57k on it and I started hearing it around 54k. bought it bone stock and since have done headers, oil pump gears, rst clutch and flywheel, shifter, suspension, an 18 intake manifold, 2 different tunes and a cold air. Getting the car ready for a Paxton but this is discouraging me a bit idk if I should put a shortblock in it or just buy a blower. I cant quite figure it out I havent heard something quite like this. I dont daily it but when I drive it I put it through its paces and since doing the intake manifold I shift at 75-7600 rpm quite often and the car runs awesome besides this. Here's a video I've made some months back but it hasn't gotten any louder. 1st video is cold second video is after it being warmed up and driven. Thanks for any advice

'11 gt w/brembo package & fbo cammed 01 gt
arena314 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 06:46 PM   #2

sound familiar to anyone?

Old 10-22-2019, 03:43 PM   #3

Region: Connecticut
Stopped reading after the first sentence because of all the grammar errors. Plus it all runs together with no paragraphs broken up. Fix it so it's legible.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2019, 09:52 PM   #4

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by arena314 View Post
Hey guys, so I've been trying to figure out, for months, what this noise is. I first starting hearing it in January, I'd say, and and have driven it about 3k miles since I've starting hearing it.
The sound can easily be heard standing next to the car, or sitting in it,with the windows down, if I'm next to a wall, or another parked car. If I'm sitting in the car with the windows down, but nothing around me for the noise to bounce off of, then I can't hear it, unless I open the door and listen closely.
You can hear the noise when the engine is cold all the way up to when it's at full operating temp pretty much, then it goes away almost completely (cant really be heard when warmed up).
I run motocraft 5w-20 oil in it. It cant be heard at any rpm really besides idle. The car now has 57k on it and I started hearing it around 54k.
Bought it bone stock and since have done headers, oil pump gears, rst clutch and flywheel, shifter, suspension, an 18 intake manifold, 2 different tunes and a cold air.
Getting the car ready for a Paxton but this is discouraging me a bit. Idk if I should put a shortblock in it or just buy a blower.
I cant quite figure it out I havent heard anything quite like this. I dont daily it but when I drive it I put it through its paces and since doing the intake manifold I shift at 75-7600 rpm quite often and the car runs awesome besides this.
Here's a video I've made some months back but it hasn't gotten any louder. 1st video is cold second video is after it being warmed up and driven.
Thanks for any advice

Fixed it for you Grabber!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
I stopped reading after the first sentence, because of all of the grammar errors. Plus, it all runs together with no paragraphs broken up. Fix it so it's legible.
I took the liberty of tidying up your post a bit, as well.

Let me know if you need anything else proof-read.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post

Thank you, I thought I got my point across but I suppose not.

Old 10-22-2019, 10:22 PM   #7

I understood it perfectly.

Grabber is just a perfectionist when it comes to other people's grammar...
Old 10-22-2019, 10:32 PM   #8

As far as the noise, I can't really get a good indication from the video.

I certainly wouldn't let it get in the way of my plans though.
There really isn't much that can be done, in any case.
Put the boost to it and see what happens.

Just my .02 cents.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:11 AM   #9

thank you. I kinda have the same feeling towards it just wanted to see if anyone had the same sound or heard it before.. Its kinda different from others I hear that have the "bbq" tick

Old 10-23-2019, 05:55 AM   #10

btw, it can be heard most in the first video when my camera is next to the wheel. cant hear it as much under the hood due to all the other noise

Old 10-23-2019, 12:31 PM   #11
Lorraine's driver

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Stopped reading after the first sentence because of all the grammar errors. Plus it all runs together with no paragraphs broken up. Fix it so it's legible.
Aren't you banned yet? Who tf even cares about grammer on a gd car forum?!
Old 10-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_mach1 View Post
I was wondering the same thing. He ruined my last thread as well so I just ignored the response this time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2019, 02:30 PM   #13

Region: North Carolina
The ticking noise I hear on the 1st video could be caused by any number of things. Most are superficial and hurt nothing. If you are driving the car as hard as you say, I'd switch oil and perhaps use a zddp additive. This seems to help in some instances (if the noise is internal).

If you are really worried about it, you can pony up the money for a shop visit. They will likely tell you it's fine.

Add your SC and enjoy it. If the engine breaks later, that's the time to worry about it.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:08 PM   #14

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post

Thanks but my grammar was perfect.
Quote:
Thank you, I thought I got my point across but I suppose not.
You didn't. It looked like a 1st grader typed it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_mach1 View Post
Banned for what? I haven't broken any rules.
I care about proper grammar which you misspelled by the way.
Quote:
I was wondering the same thing. He ruined my last thread as well so I just ignored the response this time.
Oh now I remember you. The electrician right?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:24 PM   #15

I was thinking about switching to a better oil other then motocraft due to me hardly driving it and because of how I use the car purely for enjoyment. The car runs very very well and pulls strong it doesnt feel like it's ready to let go I just wanted to hear what other people's thoughts were. And yes grabber this is that mentally challenged electrician you speak of and now that you know can you please do what I asked last time look at my username and when you see me post a thread DO NOT RESPOND in it. I dont need you on my threads giving me unwanted and unnecessary information and s*** talking me. Please dont ruin my thread this time and grow up. Thank you. Let the thread keep rollin with good info

Old 10-23-2019, 03:35 PM   #16

Quote:
I was thinking about switching to a better oil other than motocraft, due to me hardly driving it, and because of how I use the car purely for enjoyment. The car runs very very well and pulls strong it doesn't feel like it's ready to let go I just wanted to hear what other people's thoughts were.
Motorcraft FS oil is fine. I'm thinking more along the lines of higher viscosity (i.e. I use Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5w-50 in my 2014 Track-Pack).

I would use something a little more viscous than 5w-20. Especially considering your modifications, your revs, and stated driving style.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:48 PM   #17

I usually use 5w-20 synthetic blend so I find myself changing oil in like 2k miles intervals if I'm lucky it usually gets too old for my liking before then. So maybe switching to motocraft 5w-30 full synthetic would be the move. I wonder if it would change anything with this noise I've been hearing. I was also wondering if the noise could be related to the ac stretchy belt with no tensioner design.

Old 10-23-2019, 04:36 PM   #18

Quote:
I wonder if it would change anything with this noise I've been hearing. I was also wondering if the noise could be related to the ac stretchy belt with no tensioner design.

It's possible it could effect the noise if it's internal. I would throw some zddp in with the oil change.

The AC stretchy belt is a possibility as well. There are many things that can cause ticking noises under the hood. MOST of them are harmless. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you really think you have a mechanical problem.

Like I said earlier, if you can't diagnose this yourself, take it to a shop. The money spent may be worth it to you, for peace of mind.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:14 PM   #19

When I had my headers and clutch installed I let the mechanic know to give it a listen when it was cold and he said he listened around and said it sounds like it's coming from the motor, but he couldn't quite figure out what it was and just told me not to worry about it lol. Hes done pretty much all the work on this car short of the cosmetic stuff the intake and the suspension. Hes even the one who did the opg's and has a 14 gt himself. I should of told him to pull the stretchy belt off while he was listening. I personally dont think its the stretchy belt off though because I'd think the noise would change while messing with the HVAC controls.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:24 PM   #20
Lorraine's driver

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Thanks but my grammar was perfect.

You didn't. It looked like a 1st grader typed it out.

Banned for what? I haven't broken any rules.

I care about proper grammar which you misspelled by the way.

Oh now I remember you. The electrician right?

IDGAF if I misspell kat.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:17 PM   #21

Quote:
When I had my headers and clutch installed I let the mechanic know to give it a listen when it was cold and he said he listened around and said it sounds like it's coming from the motor, but he couldn't quite figure out what it was and just told me not to worry about it lol. Hes done pretty much all the work on this car short of the cosmetic stuff the intake and the suspension. Hes even the one who did the opg's and has a 14 gt himself. I should of told him to pull the stretchy belt off while he was listening. I personally dont think its the stretchy belt off though because I'd think the noise would change while messing with the HVAC controls.
It sounds like your mechanic didn't think it was significant, so don't obsess over it. Just move forward with your plans. If it breaks down the road, fix it then.

Anytime you do major performance upgrades like a blower, you should be ready to deal with consequences. Most of the time it works out well, but there is always a chance you will break the weak link in the chain so to speak. The possibility is ever present and goes with the territory.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:50 PM   #22

I'm certainly aware something can happen and expecting it to at some point but I want to stay at 600 whp or less especially in the beginning so I'd hope it would last a good long time with a reputable dyno tune. I just dont want it to let go in 50 miles

Old 11-01-2019, 10:53 PM   #23

Region: Pennsylvania
Ticking Noise

I listened to your noise and it sound to me like a noise from a pulley or something in that area. It was to slow of a tick to be an internal engine noise. What I would do is disconnect your serpentine belt and then start it for just a few minutes to see if you hear it if you don't then you know where to look. I have had damper pulleys crack and make a very similar sound. Give it a try you have nothing to lose.
2014 Track Pac car, Lowered, Aluminum drive shaft, CAI, 2-step, Adjustable panhard bar, 93 octane tune, Throttle body spacer MGW Race Spec shifter, Tubular control arms, Torque box braces, Subframe connectors, Varitune Exhaust, CAT Delete, Front and Rear shock tower brace's, GT500 rear brakes

1974 Corvette Pro Street, 8-71 blown Dart little M
Charger212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger212 View Post
I listened to your noise and it sound to me like a noise from a pulley or something in that area. It was to slow of a tick to be an internal engine noise. What I would do is disconnect your serpentine belt and then start it for just a few minutes to see if you hear it if you don't then you know where to look. I have had damper pulleys crack and make a very similar sound. Give it a try you have nothing to lose.
I have thought that as well but it goes away when the car us warmed up. worth a try though

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT