Consistent BBQ Ticking noise coming from engine - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-05-2019, 02:01 AM   #1

Exclamation Consistent BBQ Ticking noise coming from engine

So I've only owned my 2017 Mustang GT for about 3 weeks (bought it used with 16km, so pretty new), and only today I noticed this sound.

I've read TONS of posts online about it but none of the videos sound like mine. While in those videos, the ticks sound every couple seconds, mine just seems to constantly tick at idle.
Its very consistent with the engine and has a consistent rhythm (follows the timing of the idle engine).

I've also had a recent oil change about a week ago, with 5W20 semi-blend which was recommended by Ford, so they cant say anything about me not putting the correct oil into the car.
It's weird because I'm very OCD about this car and I only noticed it now, so I'm thinking it only started recently?

Does this sound like something normal or should I take it to the dealer to get it checked out? I'd like to hear some of your opinions on this...

Aside:
Check out this clip around 2:35, where CJ goes over rod knock. My car's tick sounds very much like this consistent ticking. My car also sounded quite loud even once warmed up...
mikey123555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2019, 08:41 AM   #2

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey123555 View Post
So I've only owned my 2017 Mustang GT for about 3 weeks (bought it used with 16km, so pretty new), and only today I noticed this sound.

I've read TONS of posts online about it but none of the videos sound like mine. While in those videos, the ticks sound every couple seconds, mine just seems to constantly tick at idle.
Its very consistent with the engine and has a consistent rhythm (follows the timing of the idle engine).

I've also had a recent oil change about a week ago, with 5W20 semi-blend which was recommended by Ford, so they cant say anything about me not putting the correct oil into the car.
It's weird because I'm very OCD about this car and I only noticed it now, so I'm thinking it only started recently?

Does this sound like something normal or should I take it to the dealer to get it checked out? I'd like to hear some of your opinions on this...

Aside:
Check out this clip around 2:35, where CJ goes over rod knock. My car's tick sounds very much like this consistent ticking. My car also sounded quite loud even once warmed up...
If it's very consistent with the engine its probably not the "BBQ" or "Typewriter" tick, those are more of an inconsistent tick.
Coming from a 3.7 to a 19 5.0 there is one thing I've learned, these Coyote's are generally noisy engines.
If you car sounds like the "rod knock" part of the video take it in right away.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S8+
FastFord19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord19 View Post
If it's very consistent with the engine its probably not the "BBQ" or "Typewriter" tick, those are more of an inconsistent tick.
Coming from a 3.7 to a 19 5.0 there is one thing I've learned, these Coyote's are generally noisy engines.
If you car sounds like the "rod knock" part of the video take it in right away.
Yeah I took another listen the next morning, and it didnt seem as loud as I thought it did the night before. I'll definitely keep my ears open but I think its okay for now!
mikey123555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang GT