OEM Battery — How many years? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-08-2019, 12:58 PM   #1

Region: Washington
OEM Battery — How many years?

2019 will be the fourth season for our GT, and we frequently take it up into the wilderrness north of us......I would hate to get stranded somewhere.
Would it be smart to replace the battery next Spring just to avoid any possible problems, or are you who own 2015’s all still on the original battery without issue?
And while you are reading this — what battery would you all recommend? Optima I know makes great batteries, or at least used to....red or yellow top?

EDIT:
Interestingly, Optima is telling me that none of their batteries will fit the car.....wow....and those Optimas are BIG $$’s too!! Almost $300 for a car battery??
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #2

Region: California
Wait till you start pricing a Motorcraft battery. Our battery is still the original in our 14. I've been looking for a good replacement myself. Always liked the Die-Hards. In Calif. you can't get one shipped to the house anymore, you have to go pick it up in a store. That sucks cause it's out of the way for us in the mountains.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
Wait till you start pricing a Motorcraft battery. Our battery is still the original in our 14. I've been looking for a good replacement myself. Always liked the Die-Hards. In Calif. you can't get one shipped to the house anymore, you have to go pick it up in a store. That sucks cause it's out of the way for us in the mountains.
I found a Duralast at Auto Zone for $169, with a 5 year guarantee. I do keep a trickle charger on the battery all winter, so that will probably help lengthen its life......just don’t want to be in the boonies and get the dreaded solenoid clicking noise and no crank.....I’ve heard it said that summer heat is harder on the battery than cold weather.

EDIT:
My Ford dealer wants $130 for the battery and only $15 to put it in for me....sounds like a deal if I go that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2019, 05:49 PM   #4

Region: Arizona
Summer Vs Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
I found a Duralast at Auto Zone for $169, with a 5 year guarantee. I do keep a trickle charger on the battery all winter, so that will probably help lengthen its life......just don’t want to be in the boonies and get the dreaded solenoid clicking noise and no crank.....I’ve heard it said that summer heat is harder on the battery than cold weather.
I've heard that too, but it defies logic. My thinking: First, quicker the engine starts, the less energy drawn from the battery. Since they can only stand so many complete discharge/charge cycles, it stands to reason, I think, that quick starting is important to battery life overall. Second, cranking an engine in cold winter weather HAS to draw more energy out: oil is thick and sticky in the bearings. And, it may take a bit longer to "catch", let's assume not though. Everything points to winter, if COLD, = BAD.

I live where summer heat, if it kills batteries, ought to be the harshest place on earth for batteries. 120+ degrees in summer, occasionally, 100+ for 3 months or more. Winter? Lowest 40s, highs 70s. I have 3 vehicles running right now. Took the battery I bought in 2010 out of my '04 Explorer 2 years ago, worried it might crap out, put it in my F-150. Still cranks like hell, 8+ years old. Bought '94 Mustang GT 5.0HO 2 years ago, battery is marked Mar. 12, cranks like hell, going on 7 years old. Explorer is 2, of course, bought at Wally-World. None of them has been exposed to really cold weather, all vehicles are "Desert" origins.

8 years is gotta be "pushin' it. I really think quick starting, as well as not drawing down while sitting using radio, etc., is important to long life. Unless ya get a lemon battery............
65 k car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:02 PM   #5

Interesting:

https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/...ct-trucks1.htm
Old 01-08-2019, 07:29 PM   #6

Quote:
That is indeed interesting. I just want to say that one thing troubled me:

"It's what jump-starts the engine so you can get moving. But that's not all it does. It also runs the radio, power windows, stereo, cab lights and the GPS receiver."

This is only true if: The engine is not running, or
the alternator is on the fritz. Once the engine is running, the battery does NOTHING (except soak up juice for awhile from the alternator to put back what is taken out during starting). Only way the battery is called upon to supply energy after the engine is running (assuming the alternator is working properly) is to add more load than the alternator's capacity: the difference is made up by the battery then.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:27 PM   #7

It will probably be tough to beat that deal for a Motorcraft battery. Sometimes the dealership actually has the best deals.... I once bought a set of tires at a Ford dealership.

I usually buy Interstate batteries for my vehicles. Been using them for 30+ years with no problems. I did have one that exploded underneath the hood, but I believe that was due to the voltage regulator malfunctioning and overcharging the battery.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
It will probably be tough to beat that deal for a Motorcraft battery. Sometimes the dealership actually has the best deals.... I once bought a set of tires at a Ford dealership.

I usually buy Interstate batteries for my vehicles. Been using them for 30+ years with no problems. I did have one that exploded underneath the hood, but I believe that was due to the voltage regulator malfunctioning and overcharging the battery.
Jeez! And I thought in 60 years of messing with cars, I had about seen it all! I have also heard Interstate is good. Never had one, though.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:37 AM   #9

Region: Other
My truck had a 3 year duralast battery from walmart that lasted 7 years. When it's time for one in the Mustang, that's the route I will take. It's currently got a motorcraft in it from 2014. I just wait till they die before replacing them.
jkeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #10

Region: Kentucky
I got 6 years out of my original battery for my Roush. It would’ve probably went longer if I drove the car during the winter. Still have the battery too.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:11 PM   #11

Region: Utah
The OEM in my 14 just died last month. Replaced with a Costco Duracell. Have them same battery in my Expedition and have had good luck with them.
Byock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:22 PM   #12

Region: Pennsylvania
I would only like to add:
1. Watch that trickle charger. They can overcharge the battery and run them dry.
2. The OEM battery does have a cover you can remove and check the water level. I was surprised how low my water lever was.

I have a 2015 GT too and it gets cold here in PA. I trickle charge my battery to full then pull off the charger. I think I can go another year at least.

I also have replaced batteries using Walmart brand. I was shocked by how long they lasted.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #13

Region: New York
Oem in my ‘12 still. Scurfie has a point, check water if you can and maintain with proper water, keep terminals clean. I use trickle charger once a month only long enough to get the battery to full charge. I’m not an expert battery guy but my batteries seem to last longer than most...that complain on the internet anyway. $50 my battery dies this year, doh!
Seriously OP, if you’re concerned and going into the bush, replace it. I won’t go into the number of new batteries my work place has had to return to Wally World within a year so yeah, I’d recommend not buying from them.
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile :D
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:36 PM   #14
RBK

Region: North Carolina
I think 6 years is the most I would go before replacing it, of course, they can go longer but like you I don't want to be stranded. Buy the best battery you can afford if you are going to keep the car, and like someone mentioned heat is the killer of batteries, not cold. In fact, if you want to make the replacement batteries you have at home, for flashlights, smoke detectors, ect. last longer keep them in the refrigerator. The chemical reaction slows down when they are cold.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:57 PM   #15

Region: Illinois
OEM in my 2011 with no issues.
Top_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #16

Region: Oregon
I tried Batteries+ for my ‘05 GT and was very happy with the price, it was four years ago but if zi remember correctly it was ~125.00.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #17

Region: Illinois
I replaced the battery in my 2012 last summer. Ford offered 2 different batteries for Mustang. A 7 yr. and a 10 yr. I bought the 7 year for $130 (including installation) with a $20 rebate. If you're worried about it then replace and stick with OEM !!
MustangPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:55 AM   #18
Staff
Staff

Region: Europe
I'd probalby think about replacing it soon but if its still starting right up and tests fine on a battery tester... that's a judgement call.

Whatever you do, DO NOT get a Wal Mart battery... Just... don't. Interstate and Optima are good but not like they once were.

I'd just get a sealed Napa battery... never had a problem with those ever.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:55 AM   #19
Staff
Staff

Region: Europe
I'd probalby think about replacing it soon but if its still starting right up and tests fine on a battery tester... that's a judgement call.

Whatever you do, DO NOT get a Wal Mart battery... Just... don't. Interstate and Optima are good but not like they once were.

2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:48 AM   #20
RBK

Region: North Carolina
In February of 2018 I bought a new battery for my wife's 2011 Mercedes, the battery was still functioning fine, and after a lot of research I bought a Bosch Premium Performance Battery . I paid about $125, on sale, at Pep Boys. I can't remember exactly how I settled on this battery but I'm the kind of guy that will spend time researching anything I buy. I'm sure there are many fine batteries out there but this was my pick.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #21

Region: Canada
I got 6 years from my 2013.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S8+
FastFord19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:04 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

I know you have you reasons for posting this, but my experience with walmart batteries begs to differ.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #23

My stock battery went right at three years, both my Mustang and my sons Focus.
Jbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:36 PM   #24

my last few batteries each went seven years in St. Louis.

I would think you'd be good for six pretty easily.
TomcatSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:51 PM   #25

My 2013 is still going strong on the OEM battery, though recently I noticed some corrosion on the negative terminal . I wire brushed that clean, removed the connector and cleaned the post and cable, put it back together and coated it with battery protector spray. When it goes I'll replace it with a Costco Interstate battery for $99.92. I also don't replace them until they're dead or show clear signs the end is near but I keep a lithium jump pack and jumper cables in the trunk just in case.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:35 PM   #26

Region: Idaho
Mine only made it just short of 4 years. Died in the end of a 10 day stretch of 105°+ weather summer of '17. I think died from a couple of cells that needed water. Did not think of checking them. I think my charger used over the winter months must have been a bit to hot on the trickle mode. Found another one for this year. Hoping it is a much slower charge. Will be checking the water levels and filling as needed.

Talked with Ford shop about the Motorcraft batteries. Was told the ones from the factory are not the greatest, but the shop guys believe in the replacements. Said they were a much stronger and longer life battery. Did not go with one though. Got too good of a deal on a Diehard. Guess it might be my last one of those since Sears is dying on the vine...
/ Moroso Oil Separator / GT Track Key Tune / Boss Quad Exhaust / QTP Wireless Cutouts / Diode Dynamics Sequencer / GT500 Rear Rotor Upgrade / CDC Dead Pedal / STO N SHO License Braket

............................. ..............................
shaneyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:46 PM   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
Dang that sucks
my battery was in mine 5 years,
but only because my dad decided to put a bigger one in.

Except the new only lasted 1 week until the whole case cracked & fell apart from the cold & we got another one
& it's been 7+ years already

Sent from my iPod touch using Mustang Evolution
Old 01-25-2019, 01:56 PM   #28

Region: Kentucky
The smurf is back.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:00 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
The smurf is back.

Hey! That's soon to be DOCTOR Smurf...
ESPECIALLY to you, Reco Suavé

Sent from my iPod touch using Mustang Evolution
Old 01-26-2019, 08:41 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravydog316 View Post
Hey! That's soon to be DOCTOR Smurf...
ESPECIALLY to you, Reco Suavé
I hesitate to even ask....but Dr. of what?
Old 01-26-2019, 08:06 PM   #31

Quote:
I hesitate to even ask....but Dr. of what?
Doctor of Medicine, Smarty McFarty
i might be startin' med school in the fall
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:51 PM   #32

Quote:
Doctor of Medicine, Smarty McFarty
i might be startin' med school in the fall
Knowing how things went here a short time ago....good luck with that...I always say...”you know when and how you get experience?........Right after you needed it.”......so, really, you will be in my prayers for success.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:28 AM   #33

Quote:
Knowing how things went here a short time ago....good luck with that...I always say...”you know when and how you get experience?........Right after you needed it.”......so, really, you will be in my prayers for success.

???

Sent from my iPod touch 7 beta using Mustang Evolution
Old 01-27-2019, 01:47 AM   #34

Quote:
???

OH!! Are you talking smack about MY President?!

Old 01-27-2019, 06:52 AM   #35

Oh dear.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang GT