2020 Mustang GT = 4WD, V8 Hybrid?! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-28-2019, 09:46 AM   #1

Region: Washington
2020 Mustang GT = 4WD, V8 Hybrid?!

With two electric motors, one on each front wheel, and a V8 driving the rear wheels....this looks fun! 0 to 60 in under 3 seconds anyone?:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...hta-have-a-v-8
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2019, 02:54 PM   #2

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
That sounds good.
Until I look outside & see 3 feet of snow on the road lol

Do they have AWD for Stangs?

Sent from my iPod touch 7 beta using Mustang Evolution
Old 01-29-2019, 05:23 AM   #3
Staff
Staff

Region: Europe
Spoiler alert, it'll be a RWD gasoline car. They need to just go all electric already or the 3.5L turbo6 but 2020 will just be a rwd gas. Or a slightly bumped up Coyote with yet better gas mileage. The thing already makes 500whp with a tune and some headers...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2019, 12:08 PM   #4

Region: Canada
At this point just fix the gen 3 Coyotes for 2020.
Way too many ticking and getting replaced.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S8+
FastFord19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:37 PM   #5

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
0 to 60 in under 3 seconds anyone?:
Yes
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile :D
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:44 PM   #6

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Spoiler alert, it'll be a RWD gasoline car. They need to just go all electric already or the 3.5L turbo6 but 2020 will just be a rwd gas. Or a slightly bumped up Coyote with yet better gas mileage. The thing already makes 500whp with a tune and some headers...
Front wheel drive would make more sense.... It would eliminate the transmission tunnel running through the center of the interior, and get rid of the gear selector poking up out of the console.
From an engineering perspective, it would be more efficient to attach a couple of electric motors to the rear wheels, rather than having them crammed under the hood with the IC engine.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:20 AM   #7
Staff
Staff

Or just rear/mid engine it.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:11 AM   #8

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord19 View Post
At this point just fix the gen 3 Coyotes for 2020.
Way too many ticking and getting replaced.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S8+
Most of them get replaced just because dealers make money from it
Old 02-06-2019, 02:31 PM   #9
Lorraine's driver

Region: Indiana
What about that new 7.2L gasoline engine they are supposed to be coming out with...? I think I got the liter size right on it. Also, it looked like it was a pushrod motor, or at least not a modular engine anyways.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_mach1 View Post
What about that new 7.2L gasoline engine they are supposed to be coming out with...? I think I got the liter size right on it. Also, it looked like it was a pushrod motor, or at least not a modular engine anyways.
Likely a great truck engine, but I would not want to drive a Mustang on a curvy road with THAT hanging over the front axle.....I still say, that if Ford is going to have a better Mustang than the current GT, they have a proven engine in the lineup all ready to go in.....the twin turbo 3.5 liter V6 out of the Raptor. THAT would be a monster engine in the top-of-the-line Mustang...........that TT V6 would give the GT 350 an embarrassing beating and would likely give the GT 500 a run for it’s money with the right tires.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:37 PM   #11

It's 7.3 litres, and it is likely the engine that will be installed in the 2020 Raptor, replacing the 3.5 EcoBoost.

Interesting that Ford is going back to a pushrod design...
Old 02-07-2019, 12:25 PM   #12
Lorraine's driver

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if that TT 3.5 will ever make it into the Mustang. I'm kinda thinking it will be something new when it comes to that point.

Stray, I'm wondering if they are going back to pushrod to just avoid head ticking and other heat related problems..? I guess we'll see if that trickles down to smaller sized uses.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:27 PM   #13

They're less expensive to manufacture, the engine is more compact than overhead cam, and it is a durable, time tested design that has been doing work for 70+ years.
Ford owns the medium duty truck market. Surprisingly, more than half of the engines that power the F250 through F750 class of trucks are gasoline engines. The V10 engine is becoming a little "long in the tooth", so I suppose that Ford has decided to introduce a big, relatively simple, pushrod V8 to become the workhorse to power the truck and recreational vehicle market. A modern version of the 385-series (460) which worked so well for two decades.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:38 AM   #14
Staff
Staff

Honestly what baffles me is why the 6.2L doesn't get more love. There are some performance builds with that thing that are insane and its not that involved at all.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
It's 7.3 litres, and it is likely the engine that will be installed in the 2020 Raptor, replacing the 3.5 EcoBoost.

Interesting that Ford is going back to a pushrod design...
I don’t know why they would consider replacing that 500 HP 3.5 Ecoboost in the Raptor, unless they think that the redneck knee jerk reaction of “but it’s not a V8?” has hurt sales?
It’s been proven over and over again head-to-head that the V6 kicks the @$$ of the old 6.2 V8 Raptor...”but it doesn’t SOUND like a V8!! If I am going out in the desert with my $80,000 dollar truck and jump berms, I want it to SOUND gooder”.......
Hands down, the TT 3.5 is the best engine in Ford’s lineup if not the world....sorry Coyote fanboys, until you’ve driven one — you have no idea how good this engine is.......but I DO love the sound of our GT.....
Old 02-08-2019, 10:33 AM   #16

Region: Texas
Quote:
Honestly what baffles me is why the 6.2L doesn't get more love. There are some performance builds with that thing that are insane and its not that involved at all.
Its because it's a hunk of crap. I replace on average 2 of them a month. They brake springs/drop valves pretty regularly. I have a few of them on my IG that I have done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:32 PM   #17

Quote:
I don’t know why they would consider replacing that 500 HP 3.5 Ecoboost in the Raptor, unless they think that the redneck knee jerk reaction of “but it’s not a V8?” has hurt sales?
It’s been proven over and over again head-to-head that the V6 kicks the @$$ of the old 6.2 V8 Raptor...”but it doesn’t SOUND like a V8!! If I am going out in the desert with my $80,000 dollar truck and jump berms, I want it to SOUND gooder”.......
Hands down, the TT 3.5 is the best engine in Ford’s lineup if not the world....sorry Coyote fanboys, until you’ve driven one — you have no idea how good this engine is.......but I DO love the sound of our GT.....
It may be that you can get basically the same engine in a standard F150... Ford likely feels that the Raptor needs an engine that is only available in a F150 if it is purchased as a Raptor.
This is still all speculation, of course.

In any case, there is no substitute for cubic inches. A big naturally aspirated engine will make comparable power and do the same job as the little EcoBoost. The only differences are, it's going to use a little more fuel, but will be less expensive to maintain over time, due to having less parts, and, hopefully, a more robust architecture.
It's been about a decade since we've seen a true "big-block" V8 engine manufactured by any of the automakers. I'm anxious to see what Ford has come up with.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:47 PM   #18

Quote:
It could be that most of the engines are in commercial trucks and such. Not likely candidates for getting modified.
They use the 6.2 in a lot of marine applications. Like wakeboard/surf boats that need good low end torque. But again, most are unmodified because people who go to the lake usually want to wakeboard and surf... Not sit at the launch ramp and #@*# around with the damned boat engine all day!
Old 02-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #19
Lorraine's driver

Quote:
Lol, that's pretty much me in a nutshell. Sorry to say it, but I hate the 4 and 6 turbo crap out there. I know they're more efficeint, more powerful, probably more mod-able...but I just don't like it. I completely do-not-care that they are better, LOL. I hate the sound and would NEVER pay the money they are wanting for these vehicles with them these days unless I was completely happy with what I was buying. For example, I liked the last Lincoln MKX (or Z whatever). I thought Ooo, a new luxury car with a V8, but no... it's a turbo 6. Sure 400hp is nice, but it's just not what I want lol. I think the new engine technology is great and all, but it's just not what I want. I'll be honest, I'd rather go with all electric if I'm wanting to go with new technology. I'm sure there is more that feel like I do about this, but not enough to change the market.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:34 PM   #20

Mach I.....here’s some people after your own heart.....but really? Only two or three truck lengths, a supercharger and likely over $120,000 to beat a STOCK 3.5 V6?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...v8-transplant/
Old 02-11-2019, 02:10 PM   #21
Lorraine's driver

Quote:
Mach I.....here’s some people after your own heart.....but really? Only two or three truck lengths, a supercharger and likely over $120,000 to beat a STOCK 3.5 V6?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...v8-transplant/
Lol, although I'm more of an OEM kinda buyer. But yeah, I get it. I remember seeing a video with a new gen Raptor VS the V8 Raptor and it was hard to watch after about 5 or 10ft off the line. Faster was more important to me when I was in my 20's and early 30's. After that, my tastes began to get more specific.

My 04 Mach, for instance.. I hated these 4.6L engines when they first came out. I didn't warm up to them until around the 03-04 models. I thought the Cobra was a huge step that Ford did that was just something they never seemed to do before lol. Seeing my Mach in the show room when I was shopping for SUV's at the time was really almost an accident that I bought it. I didn't know that much about the 03-04 Mach 1's. I just remembered that Ford brought it back. That was the first time I had driven an SN95/newedge and couldn't believe how much nicer they drove than the foxbody's lol, so I was hooked. I think ~350whp would be a great spot for me in this car. With some suspension parts and some minor brake upgrades, that would be some great fun. The bad for me is I don't care for supercharger whine or turbo noise (and affects on exhaust). You price out some custom cams, porting, and some headers to get you around that power and your much better off just slapping a supercharger on it and putting a very modest tune to keep the boost down because the cost is so outrageous to get what sound I want. So each year I end up talking myself out of doing anything I'm not really into doing. I just dig the old school musclecar sound.

I got kinda excited when I saw that article about the 7.3L being pushrod lol. If I didn't hate the way the Chevy's look, I would probably have been interested in the new Camaro's lol. I thought they stopped looking good when the 93 body style came out. I've been watching what I spend on this in hopes that I may pull the trigger on an old classic musclecar driver. Nobody probably will read this long winded way of saying I'm just not into modern musclcars like I was with the original ones. Not having that raw feel probably makes a difference when I look back at the ones I've test drove over the past 5 years.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_mach1 View Post
Lol, that's pretty much me in a nutshell. Sorry to say it, but I hate the 4 and 6 turbo crap out there. I know they're more efficeint, more powerful, probably more mod-able...but I just don't like it. I completely do-not-care that they are better, LOL. I hate the sound and would NEVER pay the money they are wanting for these vehicles with them these days unless I was completely happy with what I was buying. For example, I liked the last Lincoln MKX (or Z whatever). I thought Ooo, a new luxury car with a V8, but no... it's a turbo 6. Sure 400hp is nice, but it's just not what I want lol. I think the new engine technology is great and all, but it's just not what I want. I'll be honest, I'd rather go with all electric if I'm wanting to go with new technology. I'm sure there is more that feel like I do about this, but not enough to change the market.
Think that stock to stock, that “little” V6 can’t hold it’s own? Just watch this 3.5 EcoBoost DESTROY this Ferrari:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/f...ng-132315.html

I rest my case, although that Ford GT DOES sound like one giant fart up against the rev limiter.
I’ll state right now....I could never afford to buy a new GT now that I am retired, but if Ford puts the Raptor engine in the Mustang, I will move heaven and earth to try to own one. I absolutely fail to fathom why this has not happened yet, when the 3.5 TT had been around since 2011. Nearly 80% of the half tons Ford sells right now are no longer V8’s and once you’ve either towed with or hammered a 3.5 TT F150, you WILL see why. It might take a few years to convince Mustang “but it’s not a V8!!!” Buyers, but consider the F150 buyers, including the Raptor, completely convinced:

https://www.newsday.com/classifieds/...limb-1.3922145

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang GT