No mo’ Mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-30-2019, 07:44 AM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
No mo’ Mustang

Well, the time has come for me to say so long to this forum as a Mustang owner. It has been fun (and at times, frustrating) exchanging messages and information here over the years. I still believe this forum is a great one, and one of the best for Mustang information and opinion.
There were many reasons we traded the Mustang in on an SUV (2019 Sante Fe Ultimate — an amazing piece of rolling stock, folks!).....But unless someone here asks, there is probably no need to go into them....it’s been fun, and I will still probably check into what’s happening here a few times a month......
We do have a Love the Drive windblocker for sale in the thread below.....you need this if you live where the mornings or evenings cool off. It will comfortably extend your top-down season by many months each year:

https://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f233/t407287/
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 08:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
" There were many reasons we traded the Mustang in on an SUV (2019 Sante Fe Ultimate — an amazing piece of rolling stock, folks!).....But unless someone here asks, there is probably no need to go into them.. "
I'll ask !!

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp....documented " 1 of 1 "
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0......documented " 1 of 1 "
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:24 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2 View Post
" There were many reasons we traded the Mustang in on an SUV (2019 Sante Fe Ultimate — an amazing piece of rolling stock, folks!).....But unless someone here asks, there is probably no need to go into them.. "
I'll ask !!
1. The convertible season here is really only about 7 months long.
2. Paying for insurance on two cars all year (see above) is stupid.
3. At nearly 67 years old, my reaction times are not what they were, and I have to admit that 435 HP is not as safe for me as it would have been 20 years ago.
4. Texting by other drivers (especially on two lane roads) makes me nervous.
5. An SUV on SUV accident is preferable to an SUV on Mustang one (especially a convertible!)
6. The first time I see a Mach E SUV with Mustang grill and taillights and styling, I am just going to smile and shake my head....
7. Retired and we no longer need two vehicles (traded in my wife’s Fusion as well).
8. Saved about $1,000 a year on insurance having only one car.
9. The Santa Fe Ultimate gets over 30 mpg on regular.
10. A 10 year, 120,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. That’s just plain amazing.
11. The Santa Fe is super easy to get in and especially, out off.
12. The Hyundai is super quiet — no wind or road noise.
13. All of the safety features on the Ultimate are astounding.
14. Heated seats and steering wheel that actually get HOT!
15.Cooled seats that are actually COLD!
16. I do happen to love the look of the Santa Fe for 2019. I told my wife that I would never trade the Mustang in unless it was for an SUV that I still wanted to look at after I parked it.
18. We love the color of the new SUV....Earthy Bronze.
19. The quality and colors of the two-tone interior are beyond classy.
20. Sunroof that goes from the windshield to the rear hatch. Practically like having a convertible for visibility.
21. Room to carry stuff.
22. If you’ve read this far, I’ll go ahead and admit here that I DO miss the Mustang at times...but only on days over 58 degrees.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 12:21 PM   #4
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Congrats on the new ride! Those are nice. That is on our list of possible new cars, along with a Forester.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_mach1 View Post
Congrats on the new ride! Those are nice. That is on our list of possible new cars, along with a Forester.
We did not drive the Forester because I detest CVT’s.....the 8 speed automatic in the Hyundai is well sorted and very smooth.

Test drive them all....but do the Santa Fe last, so you can drive home in your new SUV....to say I was impressed would be an understatement....admittedly, the 2.4 liter engine’s 185 hp is .....................adequate. But adequate suits me just fine now. It is a silky smooth engine (which the 235 HP 2.0 turbo was NOT), and reminds me of a Honda engine, which is a high compliment, I think. When you test drive the others, drive the most loaded, high end ones you can find, so you can see how much you are going to save going with the Hyundai.

I think that the most disappointing SUV we drove was the GMC Terrain...stiffly sprung, excessive road noise, numb steering and terrible interior quality....and $12,000 more than the Santa FE, without any of the nice features it had.....
Old 04-30-2019, 08:19 PM   #6
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
We did not drive the Forester because I detest CVT’s.....the 8 speed automatic in the Hyundai is well sorted and very smooth.

Test drive them all....but do the Santa Fe last, so you can drive home in your new SUV....to say I was impressed would be an understatement....admittedly, the 2.4 liter engine’s 185 hp is .....................adequate. But adequate suits me just fine now. It is a silky smooth engine (which the 235 HP 2.0 turbo was NOT), and reminds me of a Honda engine, which is a high compliment, I think. When you test drive the others, drive the most loaded, high end ones you can find, so you can see how much you are going to save going with the Hyundai.

I think that the most disappointing SUV we drove was the GMC Terrain...stiffly sprung, excessive road noise, numb steering and terrible interior quality....and $12,000 more than the Santa FE, without any of the nice features it had.....

Are the Hyundai’s the ones that have 100000 mile/10 year warranty? Or is it Kia?
Old 04-30-2019, 08:42 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Both Kia and Hyundai have the 10/100 drivetrain warranty. Hyundai has a 5/60 bumper to bumper which I doubled to 10/120 for an added fee. $100 deductible bumper to bumper after the original 5/60 expires.
There is an incredible amount of tech features on the Santa Fe Ultimate, and I thought it wise to get the extended warranty. I can’t even begin to list everything that is included on the Hyundai — but I can say unequivocally that there is nothing else on the market that comes close for the price.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:01 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Yep, new cars are nuts. All the bells and whistles for not a super lot of money comparitively. Good to hear you got something you like and works for you.

Agreed that warranty is amazing especially if you are older and not about to DIY anything.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:01 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Yep, new cars are nuts. All the bells and whistles for not a super lot of money comparitively. Good to hear you got something you like and works for you.

Agreed that warranty is amazing especially if you are older and not about to DIY anything.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:10 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Your contributions to this website will be missed, Guard.... I was able to identify the threads that you posted as yours, solely by reading the title.

Enjoy the new car, and don't be a stranger!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:12 AM   #11
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Both Kia and Hyundai have the 10/100 drivetrain warranty. Hyundai has a 5/60 bumper to bumper which I doubled to 10/120 for an added fee. $100 deductible bumper to bumper after the original 5/60 expires.
There is an incredible amount of tech features on the Santa Fe Ultimate, and I thought it wise to get the extended warranty. I can’t even begin to list everything that is included on the Hyundai — but I can say unequivocally that there is nothing else on the market that comes close for the price.

Nice! We tend to buy and then own until they are ready for the wrecking yard lol. We plan to buy an extended warranty as well, same reason TBH. All that new and fancy tech probably won’t make it much past the initial warranty, unless the conditions are ideal.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:31 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I was able to identify the threads that you posted as yours, solely by reading the title.
And.......was that a good thing or bad thing? LOL....Thanks for the good wishes, STRAYBULLIT.....You are certainly one of the ones here that I’ll miss. Your technical expertise was always respected.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:57 AM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Yeah, yeah, sold the mustang. You can’t fool us, we know you have a GT500 on order.
Enjoy your car!

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Those ( 22 ) reasons seem to cover it pretty much, congrats & good luck with the new ride..

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp....documented " 1 of 1 "
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0......documented " 1 of 1 "
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:20 PM   #15

Quote:
3. At nearly 67 years old, my reaction times are not what they were, and I have to admit that 435 HP is not as safe for me as it would have been 20 years ago.
5. An SUV on SUV accident is preferable to an SUV on Mustang one (especially a convertible!)
6. The first time I see a Mach E SUV with Mustang grill and taillights and styling, I am just going to smile and shake my head....
7. Retired and we no longer need two vehicles (traded in my wife’s Fusion as well).
10. A 10 year, 120,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. That’s just plain amazing.
16. I do happen to love the look of the Santa Fe for 2019. I told my wife that I would never trade the Mustang in unless it was for an SUV that I still wanted to look at after I parked it.
20. Sunroof that goes from the windshield to the rear hatch. Practically like having a convertible for visibility.
21. Room to carry stuff.
22. If you’ve read this far, I’ll go ahead and admit here that I DO miss the Mustang at times...but only on days over 58 degrees.....
An SUV? Sorry to hear that. This is why Ford stopped making every car but the Mustang for this consumer trend. As far as safety you need to go by the ratings not the size of the vehicle. The cage is the protection. In the convertible case (also the strength of the roll over.)

I own a 2013 Convertible. You said you have 7 month season? Lucky you. Ours is July and August here on Long Island. The spring and fall are barely warm enough and the allergies are insane.
cdenigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I'll miss your posts Guard 5.0! I'm 64 and totally understand your reflex concerns. I'm keeping my convertible for a few more years but I see us going to one car someday too. Please don't be a stranger and keep us updated on your new ride! I think I may follow your lead.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:26 AM   #17
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Guard 5.0, we'll miss you. I should have known you were a fellow senior citizen, I'm closing in on 69, as your advice was always wise. I'm not buying reason #3, reaction time; wisdom should more than makeup for our reaction time slowing down and I would venture to say you are a much safer driver than anyone 16 to 25. I do agree that is a little harder, at our age, to get in and out of a Mustang and when I bought my 2018 5.0 I even went with the automatic, as I was worried about an injury to my left leg or right arm making it difficult to drive a standard transmission. (I still kind of regret that decision but after two MT82 transmissions it was probably the correct decision as I grew tired of that transmission.) In any event, hope you enjoy the new vehicle and it's probably possible to add duel turbos to the Sante Fe Ultimate.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:33 AM   #18
REG
Registered Member
Regular

So long Guard

Will miss you!
I too will be facing your dilemma in a few years, as I'll be 62 in june.
I'm still pushing to get my daily driver in the 10's.
My plan is to get rid of the malibu and the Forester and may get a Tesla!
Before you all scream, talk to someone that owns one. Talk about bells and whistles. One of my sons friends, my finance guy, a programmer friend all have them and they absolutely love them and all of them are car guys.
I'm keeping the stang for the forseeable future and beyond.
But everybody has to do what they feel is best for them.
Good Luck on your retirement Guard.
Best regards,
Rich
Old 05-03-2019, 06:52 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Talking

Quote:
21. Room to carry stuff.
congrats on you're new ride . if its anything like my buddy's Hyundai you're gonna' need that warranty
Old 05-03-2019, 07:49 AM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBK View Post
Guard 5.0, we'll miss you. I should have known you were a fellow senior citizen, I'm closing in on 69, as your advice was always wise. I'm not buying reason #3, reaction time; wisdom should more than makeup for our reaction time slowing down and I would venture to say you are a much safer driver than anyone 16 to 25. I do agree that is a little harder, at our age, to get in and out of a Mustang and when I bought my 2018 5.0 I even went with the automatic, as I was worried about an injury to my left leg or right arm making it difficult to drive a standard transmission. (I still kind of regret that decision but after two MT82 transmissions it was probably the correct decision as I grew tired of that transmission.) In any event, hope you enjoy the new vehicle and it's probably possible to add duel turbos to the Sante Fe Ultimate.
I get what you are saying about “senior” drivers being safer than someone 16 to 25, but to me, part of the reason to own a high performance car is making full use of that HP once in a while. I am talking kicking it sideways and counter steering, and big-time lateral G’s on a curvy road. That’s why you pay the big bucks in purchase price, mpg and insurance in order to access that fun factor that is inherent in the GT — especially the convertible.
If I am driving the GT like an SUV, we might as well own one.....my back and my legs thank me every time I go somewhere.....also, my wife has a missing disk in her back, so ‘nuff said on the kind of driving described above......the cushy ride on the SUV should have been one of the 22 reasons listed, you know? Not that the ride on the standard 18 inch wheel suspension in the Mustang is necessarily bad, but it is stiffer.
Ford has developed the Mustang into a terrific grand tourer, and I absolutely understand why anyone here would keep their’s well into their 70’s or 80’s....but stay safe out there, K?
Old 05-03-2019, 07:56 AM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde View Post
congrats on you're new ride . if its anything like my buddy's Hyundai you're gonna' need that warranty

What year and model was his? The new Santa Fe gets really good reviews for the most part— people love them, as do we. Look up the quality ratings that are out there, and Lexus/Kia/Hyundai have been fighting for 1/2/3 the last couple of years.....Ford....not so much, you know? Even Buick had that one good ratings year (#1)...then faded to 11th the next year.....
Old 05-03-2019, 08:06 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

a 2016 Elantra , lots a problems
Old 05-03-2019, 09:40 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Best wishes to you Gaurd! You’re expertise will be missed! You’ve always been one whose info I regarded highly. Kudos to you for having the wisdom to recognize your limits. I’m a decade and a half younger but I can see the writing on the wall. Enjoy what you can while you can everyone!
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:24 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
Best wishes to you Gaurd! You’re expertise will be missed! You’ve always been one whose info I regarded highly. Kudos to you for having the wisdom to recognize your limits. I’m a decade and a half younger but I can see the writing on the wall. Enjoy what you can while you can everyone!
Thanks very much!....and truer words were never spoken as to enjoying what you have while you have it. We had a GREAT four years with the ‘Stang and many road trips with the top down. The only place we did not get to was to Jasper up in Canada, but with the panoramic glass top on the Santa Fe, it’s all good to go there next month!
You know what I’ll miss the most? Tunnels when the top is down, and a two gear kick down on the 5.0!!
Old 05-03-2019, 01:08 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Oh yeah!!! 👍
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:16 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

Old 05-05-2019, 06:30 AM   #27
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Guard,

good luck with new ride.....I still miss mine but know the GTI is more my style. The jealous looks of others are what I miss the most.

Mud
Old 05-10-2019, 05:03 AM   #28

Region: Illinois
As you being the first to welcome me to Evolution I give you a whole hearted congrats on your retirement. If you need that fix every now and then I am sure you will be able to rent a pony and head for the track. No 16-25 yo texting on that single lane.
Skihuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:53 AM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skihuge View Post
As you being the first to welcome me to Evolution I give you a whole hearted congrats on your retirement. If you need that fix every now and then I am sure you will be able to rent a pony and head for the track. No 16-25 yo texting on that single lane.
Being first to do that, and being thanked for it made my morning!.......I’ve been retired since 2011 though, which enabled a LOT of sunny-day-top-down cruises.
My heart, admittedly, still beats to the rhythm of a Ford V8’s firing order — I will truly miss that ripping-silk sound of a run to redline, and that burbling idle just slightly shaking the car.
The really hard thing (but nice in a way too) is that the F and I guy at the Hyundai dealership (who owned a 2014 red V6 convertible Mustang with only 12,500 miles on it!) traded his car in on mine the same day — so I have-to/get-to see our Mustang every time we go to the dealer.
His words to me were...”I can tell when a car has been as well taken care of as yours was. I was super impressed with yours.” Nice to hear, you know? I saw the ‘Stang yesterday, and it was maybe even cleaner and shinier than when I had it — true pride of ownership for the new guy! My heart strings were plucked for sure!
Old 05-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Honestly on that insurance price alone I don't blame you at all
somesay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:51 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Being first to do that, and being thanked for it made my morning!.......I’ve been retired since 2011 though, which enabled a LOT of sunny-day-top-down cruises.
My heart, admittedly, still beats to the rhythm of a Ford V8’s firing order — I will truly miss that ripping-silk sound of a run to redline, and that burbling idle just slightly shaking the car.
The really hard thing (but nice in a way too) is that the F and I guy at the Hyundai dealership (who owned a 2014 red V6 convertible Mustang with only 12,500 miles on it!) traded his car in on mine the same day — so I have-to/get-to see our Mustang every time we go to the dealer.
His words to me were...”I can tell when a car has been as well taken care of as yours was. I was super impressed with yours.” Nice to hear, you know? I saw the ‘Stang yesterday, and it was maybe even cleaner and shinier than when I had it — true pride of ownership for the new guy! My heart strings were plucked for sure!
I hope he bought your Love The Drive wind blocker because that was one of the best mods I made!
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:00 AM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
I hope he bought your Love The Drive wind blocker because that was one of the best mods I made!
No, darn it....he did not buy that.....so, it’s still for sale over on the parts thread here....tell your friends!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-Current Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang GT