Intake valve cleaning - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2019, 02:31 PM   #1

Region: New Jersey
Intake valve cleaning

Hi everyone, has anyone used seafoam or any other product to try and clean the intake valves on the eco-boost engine? With direct injection engines putting the treatment in the gas tank doesn’t help clean the intake valve, any ideas? Thanks ahead of time.
schwabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2019, 12:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Both General Motors and Ford have seemed to have figured out how to tune their direct injection engines well enough to a point that they don't seem to be having too many problems with carbon build-up.
Neither of those two manufacturers recommends any sort of maintenance to prevent carbon build-up, and it is rumored that they strongly discourage the dealerships from selling "De-carbon procedures" as a routine "wallet draining" service.

SeaFoam has fallen out of favor, for a number of reasons. It can potentially do far more harm than any good. I recommend to never use it in anything except for a 30+ year old 2 stroke outboard boat engine... Which is what it was designed for.

AC/Delco and CRC both make a carbon cleaner that is acceptable to use in a direct injection engine as a DIY project to attempt to clean some carbon.

I have never used any of the products mentioned in this post, and likely, never will. I have disassembled enough engines to know that there is no product, that can be sprayed out of a can, which will remove carbon build-up from valves, and combustion chambers. It's one of the things in life that must be done manually.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:13 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Go ahead and seafoam a modern 4 banger high compression turbocharged engine and see what happens... Stuff was designed for 2 strokes and falls in the same bucket as "lucas oil additive", "octane booster" and cold air intakes.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2019, 06:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I am in agreement with the above posts. Today's turbocharged engines are way too sophisticated. Just change the oil and filters and use name brand gas and you are good to go.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:29 AM   #5
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
No additives please

Alot of the premium gasolines have some sort of top tier additive in them and the additives are at a prescribed rate.
FYI they are called top tier because they are designed to work on the upper engine, ie valves and combustion chamber.
However, many believe that they simply move deposits down in the ring pack.
One more thing to be vary much aware of, and this LSPI, low speed preignition.
Direct injected, turbocharged engines are highly susceptible to this phenomen.
It is extremely important that you use the specific Motorcraft oil for this application. The pre ignition is a function of some of the additive systems in modern engine oils. A new category, ILSAC GF-6 is coming out shortly that addresses LSPI and any oil licensed as GF-6 will be fine in your application.
Dexos Gen 2 licensed oils may work as well as there are engine testing protocols to cover this.
Bottom Line: Be careful adding anything to oils, coolants, etc. Sfest thing I can tell you is DON't!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2015+ Mustang Ecoboost (and V6)