Vapor canister shot? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #1

Vapor canister shot?

My 2012 V6 manual is exhibiting the following symptoms:
- Unstable idle after filling up gas. It feels like it will stall itself but it doesn't. After driving for a while this goes away.
- Spilling gas from underneath the car without topping off. Not a huge amount but enough to be noticeable under the car.

Now, I must admit I'm guilty of topping off gas past the first click. I was not aware how bad this is for our cars. Is the most likely explanation for these symptoms that vapor canister got saturated with gas at some point and the whole fuel system doesn't work properly?

What would be the fix? Replacing vapor canister? Can I safely DIY this?
stang15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2018, 08:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Is the Check Engine Light illuminated? Any Diagnostic Trouble Codes present?
When you fill up the tank, have you ever identified precisely where the fuel is leaking from?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Is the Check Engine Light illuminated? Any Diagnostic Trouble Codes present?
When you fill up the tank, have you ever identified precisely where the fuel is leaking from?
Check engine light is not on. I've checked codes with Torque Pro app and no codes found.

I didn't pay attention the last time this happened where the leak is coming from as it doesn't happen every time, so it kind of surprised me. It's definitely not from the top of the filler neck. I just hear it splashing on the ground below the car. I'll pay more attention the next time I fill it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2018, 11:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Try to find the source of the leak. Look for any signs of fuel leaking from tbe filler neck area, and any associated emissions hoses.
The EVAP system is designed to contain most of the vapors from the fuel system. If there is fuel leaking somewhere, that means there could a be a leak in the system that is big enough to cause a vacuum leak as well. That could be what is causing your intermittent idle problem.

Also, it didn't take me long to learn not to try to top off the fuel tank in my Mustang... In my case, it stinks up the cabin for a while.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Try to find the source of the leak. Look for any signs of fuel leaking from tbe filler neck area, and any associated emissions hoses.
The EVAP system is designed to contain most of the vapors from the fuel system. If there is fuel leaking somewhere, that means there could a be a leak in the system that is big enough to cause a vacuum leak as well. That could be what is causing your intermittent idle problem.

Also, it didn't take me long to learn not to try to top off the fuel tank in my Mustang... In my case, it stinks up the cabin for a while.
I'll do that.

Also, after a fill-up before the one in the OP (no fuel leak for this one), I've monitored air/fuel ratio: it was mostly stable just below 15 but it did jump to 17 from time to time, just lagging the drops in RPMs (might be OBD/bluetooth delay). Then it would drop to 13 or so before stabilizing to below 15.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert