Mustang '14 V6 Base Speaker upgrades? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-01-2019, 02:45 PM   #1

Region: South Carolina
Mustang '14 V6 Base Speaker upgrades?

Hello, I was on crutchfield website to determine what kind of speakers i will need to replace in front doors and rear. Can someone who has done an upgrade tell me what size of speakers to get and recommend me some good ones?
scorpionking674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
5x7 (6x8) often those two sizes are interchangable....I put in entry level Focals found in Crutchfields bargin bin. Google Crutchfield coupon code...it's a great upgrade the base model spjrs suk

Mud
Old 01-01-2019, 03:09 PM   #3

how's the sound quality? im a big audiophile and i listen to rock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

it was a big improvement, bass was still lacking but compared to the OEM kazoos it was huge. They took a loooong time to break in. I wasn't thrilled at first but they got better. I debated adding a small self powered sub but never did it.

listen to much and prefer accuracy over thumping bass that seems to be a popular style now. It wasn't an amazing system but for $200 and an afternoon in the garage thumbs up.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I replaced door and rears with Pioneers 4 way 6x8....TSA somethings. Forget the model#. Used the foam baffles too. I only have the shaker 500 and just wanted to clean the sound up. Especially with the volume up, those Kazoos (nice term Strangemud) were weak. 4 ways are lost on my hearing range but dedicating certain Hz ranges to individual cones cleans up the sound overall. I like them a lot!
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
On my setup I had the Shaker 500, but changed everything. Shelby spks which are Kicker 6X8 and 8" Subs in Front Doors and JL Audio 5X7 in Rear, added a Kicker 10" Comp Sub in the Trunk, Amps for Speakers and Changed the Head Unit to a Kenwood DPX.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
If you change out only speakers well worth it. I changed out to Alpines in my vert.
2011 Gt Premium Convertible, manual, Navigation, OEM 13-14 GT500 wheels,Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, JLT oil seperator, MGW Race Spec-2016 revision, Steeda ABS Composite front splitter, Big Worm Graphix Super Snake stripe matte black, Steeda Convertible Sport Springs, Koni STR. T struts and shocks, GT500 strut mount, BMR adjustable panhard and support bar, Ford Racing tune, jounce bumper kit, Roush lower control arms, BMR lower control arm relocation brackets, Kooks axle back exhaust, Raxiom Aero rear tail lights
sns109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:37 AM   #8

Not sure if i'm allowed to post links here but I ordered Rockford Fosgate P1683 for front doors. I was looking into installing an amplifier to get a better clear sound quality to my factory radio for now. Is that possible to add an amp to factory system? I'll be upgrading to either a double din or the whole 10" touchscreen radio. I'll add a subwoofer at some point later, so what recommendations of amp can i get?
Old 01-05-2019, 10:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Yes to both questions. Get what which ever Amp(s) and Stereo you want, which ever suits you. Hooking Amp to Factory system is tricky, so make sure you have a Pro doing it. The Stock system has a couple of Factory Amps hooked to it so be careful. I believe my Shaker 500 had three Amps hooked to it. Those Amps are small and don't compare to Aftermarket, but they are Wired into the Shaker system. Which is another reason why I replaced Everything.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:32 AM   #10

Really 4 amps? Mine's base model. The thing is aftermarket double din is so expensive after adding up the dash kit and stereo it'll be around 600$.

I'm thinking to add AMP, Rockford Fosgate P2D4-12 Subwoofer, and replace the front and rear speakers with Rockford Fosgate Punch P1683. Can you also recommend me amps that'll provide enough power to all the speakers?
Old 01-06-2019, 09:28 AM   #11
Staff

Regular
Staff

pretty sure you can't amp the base model unless you go spkr level inputs. I like Fosgate spkrs...what I would do is swap out spkrs and add in a small spkr level input sub. about $400 all in..not great but decent sound.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
pretty sure you can't amp the base model unless you go spkr level inputs. I like Fosgate spkrs...what I would do is swap out spkrs and add in a small spkr level input sub. about $400 all in..not great but decent sound.
So for me to use an amp, i'll need an aftermarket radio?

I watched this video and realized how big difference amps make to sound quality and loudness. I've installed Rockford Fosgate P300-12 Punch 300 in my gf's 2010 camaro ss, it sounds decent, i've spliced the rear speaker wires from amp and tapped that for sub. I'd like to get better sound but i guess I'll have to wait till i can get an aftermarket amps. Also, i saw a double din kit from maestro around 160-200$, which stereo should i get? Because i've read they need to be compatible with the maestro RR kit and i've checked prices on those radio units and they're insanely high around 600$'s
Old 01-06-2019, 10:34 AM   #13

Will this work in my case?

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...OEM-FRD24.html

I can add amp to factory front and rear speakers this way?

Edit: Also can someone explain me about speaker power range and how to buy an amp that will drive it to its full potential? The front and rear speakers i've upgraded are Rockford Fosgate P1683 with power range: 6-65 watts RMS (130 watts peak power), frequency response: 65-24,000 Hz, sensitivity: 90 dB. I'm trying to do a 4 way amp so what power of amp will drive these speakers?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert