Understanding an SCT tuner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-08-2019, 07:07 PM   #1

Understanding an SCT tuner

So I'm looking to get a few mods for my 2014 GT. It's recommended to get a tuner first so you can dial in the car with the mods. My question is, do these tuners come preloaded with the data for the most popular mods(CAI, Headers, Gears)? When you do things like a CAI, is a custom tune needed and where would you get one? I'm a little confused as to if this tuner is all I need or do I have to pay for custom tunes as well.
speeedknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2019, 09:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
It is best to have the car tuned, but for many street applications the canned tune will be better than nothing.

Many (me included) have multiple tunes loaded onto their SCT. This allows different configurations if needed.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:29 PM   #3

Sorry for sounding ignorant but where do these tunes come from? Is it something that JLT emails me or SCT sends me. I was reading up on BAMA and it seems like this is a company that just sells tune profiles.
speeedknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 07:06 AM   #4

Region: Massachusetts
SCT provides its tuners with preloaded tune files, commonly called "canned tunes". When you plug the hand held into the OBD port it reads the ECU and picks the files appropriate for that car. You will also get a menu to select things like fuel octane, CAI, exhaust and depending on car idle rpm redline,etc.

You can also go to a professional tuner and have a tune emailed to you that you transfer to the hand held via your computer or in the case of some of the newer devices the file can be directly down loaded to the device via WiFi. These folks will ask you to data log what the car is doing and you transfer the info to your computer and email it to the tuner, he will adjust the files accordingly and send you and update. This may take several revisions but will get you the most power. Quite often the cost of the tune will include future revisions (tunes for life) as you make additional mods.

Dave
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #5

Daiblo Tuner with STS Turbo tuning

I've recently made some mods to my 2010 GT 4.6L. Including an STS remote installed twin turbo kit. I bought a Diablo tuner that I am working with Rick Squires at STS to tune the car with. Just about to load the first tune on the car. He sent me a base tune and 5% & 10% lean and 5% & 10% rich tunes to get started. From there we will do two go a-rounds to get it as best we can. Just like DGC333 wrote.
PonyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
SCT provides its tuners with preloaded tune files, commonly called "canned tunes". When you plug the hand held into the OBD port it reads the ECU and picks the files appropriate for that car. You will also get a menu to select things like fuel octane, CAI, exhaust and depending on car idle rpm redline,etc.

You can also go to a professional tuner and have a tune emailed to you that you transfer to the hand held via your computer or in the case of some of the newer devices the file can be directly down loaded to the device via WiFi. These folks will ask you to data log what the car is doing and you transfer the info to your computer and email it to the tuner, he will adjust the files accordingly and send you and update. This may take several revisions but will get you the most power. Quite often the cost of the tune will include future revisions (tunes for life) as you make additional mods.

Dave
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:45 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeedknot View Post
So I'm looking to get a few mods for my 2014 GT. It's recommended to get a tuner first so you can dial in the car with the mods. My question is, do these tuners come preloaded with the data for the most popular mods(CAI, Headers, Gears)? When you do things like a CAI, is a custom tune needed and where would you get one? I'm a little confused as to if this tuner is all I need or do I have to pay for custom tunes as well.
When I bought my 2014 TrakPak, it had 2200 miles and an SCT tunner and CAI from Summit Racing. It had a canned tune for all three grades of gas here in Oregon. I talked with Shaun at AED in Sacramento and we data logged my current tune which I emailed him, he made modifications to the tune and emailed it back to me. I data logged the performance again, and emailed him the information. The last tune he sent me after doing data logging was right on, and all I can say is that the tune we ended up with was 150% better than the canned tune. Shaun at AED is the Mustang go guy for tuning, at least on the West Coast, but my 14 TrakPak would have been more than a match for my 19 GT/PP1...IMHO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old Mustang1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	258571   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3382.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	258573  

olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:52 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Canned tune is NOT better than nothing. Stock, SAFE tune is better than a canned tune because the stock tune isn't a guess.

SCT device is not hard to understand. The datalogging software is like an afternoon tinkering with to get it setup how you like it and for me, my tuner told me all the boxes to check and how to log it.

Best thing you can do is to take the car to a local dyno that actually knows wtf they are doing. If not... Lund, AED, VMP and some others can do very good remote tunes. Remote tune is not a canned tune. Bama/Steeda "tunes for life" are canned tunes. Bama's "tunes" are sent out by $12/hr customer service reps who may or may not know their *** from a fuel injector. Your choice, you do get what you pay for. It always amazes me that ppl will drop $30-$40k on a new Mustang GT and then try to save a couple $hundred on a **** tune or garbage parts.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:31 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Canned tune is NOT better than nothing. Stock, SAFE tune is better than a canned tune because the stock tune isn't a guess.

SCT device is not hard to understand. The datalogging software is like an afternoon tinkering with to get it setup how you like it and for me, my tuner told me all the boxes to check and how to log it.

Best thing you can do is to take the car to a local dyno that actually knows wtf they are doing. If not... Lund, AED, VMP and some others can do very good remote tunes. Remote tune is not a canned tune. Bama/Steeda "tunes for life" are canned tunes. Bama's "tunes" are sent out by $12/hr customer service reps who may or may not know their *** from a fuel injector. Your choice, you do get what you pay for. It always amazes me that ppl will drop $30-$40k on a new Mustang GT and then try to save a couple $hundred on a **** tune or garbage parts.
If you have to compensate for gears, tire ratio, or other small items a canned tune (tune that is offered from SCT through their preloaded software is indeed better than nothing.

I'm not going to tell the guy to change cams, injectors, entire intake, and complete exhaust and try a BAMA canned tune. That needs a dyno to set the parameters to begin a proper tune. That is asking for a lean engine with holes burned into the top of the pistons.

Steeda can, and will do a remote tune. There are also many others, such as those listed, that do a great job. I also wouldn't consider Steeda's tunes to be a guess when it comes down to things like a CAI and exhaust (which is what most people stop with). It is not a perfect tune, and could definitely be improved with real time data figures, but the average tune they send out has been logged on many other cars of the same year and configuration. They aren't guessing as much as one would think. I think the general consensus on Steeda is that their tunes are conservative. (No, I do not have a Steeda or BAMA tune on my car.)

I will stand behind you in regard to staying away from BAMA. I don't think I would be able to trust them with a remote tune.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > Mustang 101 - Tech Basics | Ask an Expert

« How much to fix? | - »