Cutting the cord - Page 5 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #141
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Amazon announced officially the Fire Cube today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._i=17285113011

And wow wtf Amazon. Same CPU and GPU that are in the pendant, no IR in the remote, no dedicated ethernet port so limited to 10/100 USB2, no full size USB ports so you would have to buy a $20 ugreen adapter if you wanted to get that feature and they are going to ask $120 for it full price? Its $90 for Prime members for the next 2 days but even that is too much when I have to pay another $30 to get an IR attachment for the remote and $20 for a USB/Ethernet adapter. That would bring full price to $170... which is Shield or AppleTV4K price, both of which are WAY better devices.

Cliff's notes... the new Cube is just an echo and a FireTV3 combined into a thing with a few extra attachments. Hopefully I'm wrong but... its already in production and the specs are out and nothing jumps off the page... This will be great for ppl who are all about controlling everything with their voice, that's it.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #142
Staff
Regular
Staff

I was right, the cube sucks and is over priced and apparently not done very well. I've gotten another Mibox since this post and sideloaded a YouTube TV hacked apk to the one remaining fire device we use in the bedroom.

DTVN is apparently having a ton of issues right now even my setup is buffering. YouTube TV still going strong tho... If the Philo app for fire is good and works on Android TV I'll probably cancel DTVN...

Sent from my Z978 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:24 AM   #143
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
So, I decided to buy an Apple TV (4th gen not 4k) and I really dig it. It works like their phones in many ways. Their remote has a touch sensitive area that allows you to swipe and all that jazz. It's actually great. The OS is snappy and it allows you to switch between services (or apps) like Netflix and Hulu. It also setup my TV in the remote automatically, which is pretty damn awesome considering I have a Costco purchased Visio. I have had issues getting it to work with a few of those all-in-one remotes because it is slightly different somehow. Anyway, it's leaps and bounds better than the older Apple TV. I'm gonna run with it a bit longer, but it sure looks like it will be my daily driver for watching TV. I recommend you take a look at it if you are in the Apple ecosystem. Previously, it was the Roku 3 or premium or whatever they are calling it.
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #144
Staff
Regular
Staff

I had that and I HATED the remote. It's a great device tho. Not a lot to customize just like the Roku but it's fast and smooth and video is great.

Sent from my Z978 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 09-14-2018, 12:55 PM   #145
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I had that and I HATED the remote. It's a great device tho. Not a lot to customize just like the Roku but it's fast and smooth and video is great.
It is taking a good bit of time to get used to that remote lol. There are a few apps that don't FF or RW well if at all and it seems to be the remote. I remember skipping along nicely with the Roku in the same app. Hopefully Apple continues to doodle with it or the app devs make changes to make it work better on their apps. I like that it has a lightening port for charging though. At least it seems to be beneficial so far lol.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:58 PM   #146
Staff
Regular
Staff

I think if you ask they will send you an AppleTV Gen 3 remote which is not a touchpad but still works with the ATV4. I would have gone that route if I still had it. I still really love the MiBox and Fire stuff I have now. If I was still in the states it would be Roku all the way for basically everything in the house. With all the APKs getting shut down now if I wind up going back to torrents and PLEX for most of my stuff I might be putting Roku Ultras in most parts of the house. Fire stuff and Android TV is still working really well though.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #147
Staff
Regular
Staff

So the new Firestick 4K just plain rocks. Like... its really freaking good. And right after I got one for $35 on sale (it still is as of this post), the Roku Ultra went on sale for half off so I got one of those too to use upstairs where the wifi is awful but I have an ethernet cable and the full size boxes are the only Rokus with ethernet. The Roku Ultra is really REALLY fast. Like yoga balls fast. Remote is great as usual, everything works, simple and intuitive and 0 advertising. You can cast to it with allcast or localcast as well so you can technically use APKs that ppl like to sideload to Fire.

Use the Firestick 4K on my new Samsung curved 4K TV and the Roku on a 55" 1080p in the living room. Put the Fire Pendant in the bedroom, my Roku Streaming Stick+ is also on my 4K Samsung if I want to watch YoutubeTV without the microstutter it gets on the hacked Fire app, Kid has a 2016 Roku stick and the old Firestick is in my backpack in case I travel anywhere.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:14 PM   #148
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Any updates to know about with PlayStation Vue? Looks like the new Apple TV syncs up nicely with PSVue and I was thinking of subscribing again.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:58 PM   #149
Staff
Regular
Staff

Besides Sony losing money with the service? Lol not really. They are going to keep it around for a long time though because of the metrics they get from it tho. If you don't need the A&E/Scripps networks its a great service.

Youtube TV remains the most stable, DTVN is slowly becoming a typical ATT product... Sling is good if you don't need Discovery or CBS (or have an antenna), Hulu I have no idea why ppl get it as its overpriced and channel selection is meh.

Best value right now honestly is YoutubeTV with Philo to add in all the channels that YTTV doesn't have. Only better price and channel selection than that is anyone who still has the DTVN Go Big promo even though they already jumped that up $5/mo.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #150
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Besides Sony losing money with the service? Lol not really. They are going to keep it around for a long time though because of the metrics they get from it tho. If you don't need the A&E/Scripps networks its a great service.

Youtube TV remains the most stable, DTVN is slowly becoming a typical ATT product... Sling is good if you don't need Discovery or CBS (or have an antenna), Hulu I have no idea why ppl get it as its overpriced and channel selection is meh.

Best value right now honestly is YoutubeTV with Philo to add in all the channels that YTTV doesn't have. Only better price and channel selection than that is anyone who still has the DTVN Go Big promo even though they already jumped that up $5/mo.
We did a free week of Philo some time ago and I thought it was okay, but not great on stream reliability at that time (summer). Youtube TV is better on Roku than Apple TV so far, so maybe I'll do a whole month of Philo to get some channels I'm missing. Agree, hulu is overpriced for TV. They started listing shows available when you search, but then you try to play it and they say you need their TV service lol bastards. Granted, that's only happened twice, but still sucks. I don't like how Prime is doing things now either. You'll see 'available with Showtime, HBO, or *** subscription" through your prime account. Who TF wants Showtime or HBO etc through Prime TV?!?! That's just stupid af. I told my wife that all this streaming service is going to end up just like cable and satellite TV here before you know it. Not sure what I'll do at that point, but I just cant stand getting TV through those a holes lol.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:27 PM   #151
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well you can get HBO or showtime a la carte, not sure if it's cheaper on prime. A lot of ppl just like one bill?

And yeah the streaming services are starting to try to turn more profits now. Dtvn is already saying they will probably come out with new packages with less channels for more money... Vue and Sling and even yttv raised prices this year although yttv grandfathered ppl who had it at $35.

Philo is a lot better now than it was btw. And for HBO, SHO and other premiums and even free Netflix or Hulu or Prime major programming... Cyberflix with a $40 a year (yes year) Real Debrid sub is great.

Biggest problem is how it all adds up... Netflix/Hulu/$40-$50 streaming service plus ISP cost is probably more than a bundle especially a promo rate...

If it was just me I'd probably have yttv for live, prime for the shipping and then Cyberflix with RD for everything else.

Sent from my COR-L29 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 01-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #152
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Truth be told, I don't really count my internet service, Netflix, or Hulu as I had them for years prior to 'cutting the cord'. You're right though, it all adds up to damn near the same as getting bent over by cable/sat lol.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #153
Lorraine's driver

Regular

So, YouTube TV upped their monthly... My next bill with go from $39.99 up to $54.99. Not sure how I feel about that lol, but it does seem that all of them have gone up over the past year. I'm still happy with their service, but haven't decided if I'm accepting the new price yet.

Anybody else using YouTube TV?
Old 06-03-2019, 03:45 PM   #154
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yes me. They added a ton of channels. It's still the best value and performance out of all of them.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #155
Lorraine's driver

Regular

I went ahead and accepted the new rate. I took a look last night and they really did add a lot of channels since started the service.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #156
Staff
Regular
Staff

They added almost the entire Discovery lineup. Only thing I wish they added was Science but I'm sure it'll get there.

I actually am doing a side hustle over here where I set ppl up with youtube TV on whatever device they have. Overseas you need to use an Android phone to VPN to the states and also GPS spoof to the location you want service but doing that you can activate any device anywhere in the world. Half a dozen ppl so far, looking to stock up on MiBoxes or FireStick4Ks and start advertising on the Rota FB groups tbth...

Also load up Cyberflix which is unlimited free shows and movies. LMK if you need the APK.

And Youtube TV doesn't officially work on a Fire device but I have a hacked apk that works fine. Iffy on the older Firesticks but on any of the boxes or the Pendant or the new 4K stick it works fine. Works amazing on MiBox or a Shield or an Apple TV4 or better.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #157
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Damn, that's pretty sweet. I didn't realize you could do all that lol. I may have to re-visit my Applesheepness
Old 06-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #158
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol yeah. If you have an Android phone or Android based tablet like a fire tablet you can cast to anything. I always recommend ppl who have all apple to wait till the fire tablet 7 goes on sale for $29.99 or $39.99 and grab one and then load it with all the fun Android free movie and tv apps.

Cast to Apple or Roku or any non Android smart TV (Samsung/LG) via an app called Allcast. This is because legit everything uses dlna which is an industry standard. So Allcast just activates the devices dlna connection and sends it the info over your wifi.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar