Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first thread on here so please be gentle...

First off, I LOVE my new Mustang (2014 bought with 9,500 miles in pristine condition) but I have one beef... for a light weight 305 hp sports car, the auto transmission is really sluggish. To add to it, the "constant learning" cpu seems to only learn how to make it less responsive, no matter how you drive. I do pull fuse 47 once a week, but I think that's a major fail by Ford not allowing us to turn that feature off.

So I have researched for weeks and I understand changing the gear ratio will help, but without doing that will adding a tuner really help? I know people with a tune claim they can feel it, but the 0-60 times I have read with people with a tune only vs stock have been almost identical.

So I ask... does anyone on here have or had in the past just a tune with no other mods? And if so did they notice a 0-60 improvement?

Mine is pulling a 6.4 0-60 and that is weak for the engine and weight. I know it's the slush box because it doesn't rip in first gear... feels regulated. The frustrating part is I LOVE everything else about my Mustang, but I had a 2006 CTS 3.7 before my Mustang and it had 50 less hp and weighed 600 lbs more and it was only .5 seconds slower than my Mustang.

I really feel like Ford dropped the ball on these transmission units and likely shot for fuel economy over performance... which would make sense with a Taurus but damn, these are Ponies!!!

Overall still very happy, but would like to know if it's even worth pouring $1000 for a gear change and custom tune? Or do I just live with knowing I have so much untapped potential under the hood?

Thanks everyone and love the forum! :thumb:

K

·
0 Posts
Gears and Tune will make your car a blast to drive. Let me say this, in the TX heat, a stock 3.7 with 2.73s and 17" wheels runs 15.5 in the 1/4 mile. A car with 3.73s and a tune runs about 14.5. So if that does not change your mind, idk what will.

Of course, these numbers will vary depending on location. But about a 1 second difference is pretty good for $1,000.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. And I am assuming most of that 1 second gain is in the front end of the acceleration?

Yes, basically I'm wondering if I invest the $1000 will I really feel it... and not that CAI "feel it" way, if you catch my drift.

I forgot to add the final straw that made me post this thread... I was city driving yesterday and had an old dude in a Kia Soul and he was keeping up with me... even when I hit the on ramp to the interstate. I was pretty irritated. :facepalm:

K

·
0 Posts
The tune will help you throughout. But the gears will be more for initial acceleration. Suspension would be the next thing. Because when you launch, you will squat ALOT with the stock suspension. That is what is hurting me now. I can run 13.8 in TX at this time.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm leaning towards starting with the gear/tune first and see how that feels, since I really like how she rides right now. That is probably the biggest positive I have on my car is that it handles bumps in a soft manner yet doesn't lose grip. I believe mine came with a premium suspension though? I test drove a non-premium Stang and the suspension was horrible... though that could have been damage from previous owner.

K

·
0 Posts
If you have the Performance Package then the struts have a little better valving. But take it from someone with the Performance Package also, that suspension is garbage on the drag strip. My car squats so hard, it feels like it is taking a s*** at the starting line. Technically, it is. On my 1/4 time. LMAO!!!!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HA!!!!!! That's funny as hell. I don't have any drag strip plans for the near future so gear/tune it is!

Now, which tune is the best for a 3.73 setup? Or do they all do the same thing? I have read good things about Bama.

·
Registered
727 Posts
MPT.

K

·
0 Posts
Hey I looked at your profile and saw the 13/14 V6 PP wheels on your car. So that means you probably already have 3.31 gears over the stock 2.73. Take my advice, stay with those! It is not worth the money and headache to go from 3.31 to 3.73 unless you are going to race the car. I went from 3.31 to 3.73 and hardly noticed a change. It is obviously more worth it if you have 2.73s.

I would say 4.10 gears, but that might be too much for you as a daily driving mod.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Hey I looked at your profile and saw the 13/14 V6 PP wheels on your car. So that means you probably already have 3.31 gears over the stock 2.73. Take my advice, stay with those! It is not worth the money and headache to go from 3.31 to 3.73 unless you are going to race the car. I went from 3.31 to 3.73 and hardly noticed a change. It is obviously more worth it if you have 2.73s.

I would say 4.10 gears, but that might be too much for you as a daily driving mod.
I just noticed the same thing and was going to suggest, at a minimum, to do the tune first and don't rush into the gears.
I get the impression most people like the feel of the higher ratio gears at the low end but I've yet to see any facts and figures on the difference. Except the simulated ones somewhere way back posted on here.

K

·
0 Posts
I just noticed the same thing and was going to suggest, at a minimum, to do the tune first and don't rush into the gears.
I get the impression most people like the feel of the higher ratio gears at the low end but I've yet to see and facts and figures on the difference. Except the simulated ones somewhere way back posted on here.
Same. Plus not every city has awesome shops with awesome prices. Usually shady shops with high price tags. So OP definitely wants to call around and research first before tackling that job. Had I knew what I got myself in to when I did the gears, I would have used the money for suspension instead.

Looking back now, 3.31s really wasn't THAT bad. I drove a 2011 with 2.73s :nonono:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to know! Now Im really wondering why I'm only getting a 6.4 0-60?? From what I have seen I should be around 5.7 correct?

I bought it used and an old dude owned it before me... Do I need to check for anything?

I put axle back magnaflows on her, but that shouldnt make a difference.

Hmmmmm

K

·
0 Posts
You can always do a once over on the maintenance. Do the oil change, fuel system cleaner, air filter, fuel filter, check tire pressure and tread, etc. Remember, rule of thumb is shocks and struts at 50k miles. Probably wouldn't hurt to do spark plugs also. (Not sure how many miles you currently have)

I personally would just do everything to give yourself a clean slate. No idea if the previous owner thrashed the car and redlined/floored it constantly.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also is there a way I can confirm I have the 3.31 on my ride? I live in a city with only 91 octane so assuming I can confirm the 3.31 I would order a 3.31 91 tune?

Second also, speaking of the wheels does anyone know the weight on the 19" PP wheels? They look heavy as hell and I'm guessing maybe 32-35 lbs? With my DIB and metallic silver setup I am wanting to go to a hyper silver wheel and have my eye on some that come in at 25 lbs... might help me with the unsprung weight?

Thanks

K

·
0 Posts
Get your VIN and punch it in: Use your VIN number to get Ford Window Sticker

Then you can see your original Window stick and see what came with your car originally.

Also, if you jack up the car, there should be a stick on the rear axle/differential area that says the gear ratio (assuming it was not changed). Also, there are other ways, such as spinning the tire and driveshaft to check the revolutions #.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can always do a once over on the maintenance. Do the oil change, fuel system cleaner, air filter, fuel filter, check tire pressure and tread, etc. Remember, rule of thumb is shocks and struts at 50k miles. Probably wouldn't hurt to do spark plugs also. (Not sure how many miles you currently have)

I personally would just do everything to give yourself a clean slate. No idea if the previous owner thrashed the car and redlined/floored it constantly.
I switched her to Royal Purple and put a new air filter in. Tire pressure is spot on and all fluids good to go. It's only at 12k for miles but I could seafoam it I guess.

Honestly, I wonder if my tranny has issues. If I'm slow coasting and hit the gas it takes literally 2-3 secs to respond, which is dangerous at times.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had the same issues your describing with the lag in throttle response and take off. Just this last week I got the ITSX tuner and left my gears the 2.73 and wow my mustang is night and day now. Really takes off. Used to have 6.4 0-60 and now it's down to 5.7!! Honestly a custom 91 race tune from MPT is where you should begin. Then get the gears!!

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Kevin is giving you good advice. If you have the 3.31 gears already, bumping up will help but it won't be earth shaking changes. For my two cents worth of advice; tuner and suspension for a good feeling out of your car. Of all my mods, I'm happiest with these two over everything else.

K

·
0 Posts
These Autos will always have a throttle lag when flooring it. The fix for that is a tune. There will still be a second delay, but not nearly as bad as before when it was 2-3 seconds.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The 4.0 v6 stock will run low 15s in the quarter seem like the 3.7 will run faster than that even in the tx heat

1 - 20 of 57 Posts