Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what way will i go about this if i use the frpp ecu and wireharness from ford racing vs doin the 2v to 3v swap and deleting cam phasers? i know its cheaper to buy a gt but it beats the purpose i like the built not bought moto
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
kickerofdoom said:
Get a doner car or just buy the car. Also why swap out motor?
He's swapping the motor from a V6 to a v8. It's very popular to buy a V6 car ( cause there lighter than a V8 car ) and take the v6 out and put a v8 in it. A 00 V6 car with a 3v v8 would be a monster!
 

·
Titus Wadicus
Joined
·
2,103 Posts
what way will i go about this if i use the frpp ecu and wireharness from ford racing vs doin the 2v to 3v swap and deleting cam phasers? i know its cheaper to buy a gt but it beats the purpose i like the built not bought moto
i know for sure u need to swap out the k-member. but i think u also have to swap over to "electronic throttle" too. but sounds like u know wut your doin..

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

He's swapping the motor from a V6 to a v8. It's very popular to buy a V6 car ( cause there lighter than a V8 car ) and take the v6 out and put a v8 in it. A 00 V6 car with a 3v v8 would be a monster!
yea, they r lighter... til u put the v8 n it...:lmao:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
It's not just because of the motor, I know drag guys that do this all the time cause the V6 car is made different which makes it lighter. I think the v8 is made with more support and built stronger to support the stock v8 when the v6 isn't made as string because it doesn't need to be since its not making that much power with a stock v6.
I'm not sure about the new models but I know the older foxes were like this that's why so many people would do a motor swap.
 

·
Titus Wadicus
Joined
·
2,103 Posts
It's not just because of the motor, I know drag guys that do this all the time cause the V6 car is made different which makes it lighter. I think the v8 is made with more support and built stronger to support the stock v8 when the v6 isn't made as string because it doesn't need to be since its not making that much power with a stock v6.
I'm not sure about the new models but I know the older foxes were like this that's why so many people would do a motor swap.
thats not true at all. if we were talking pick ups with half ton verses three quarter ton yes. not in mustangs though. a chassis is a chassis. springs, shocks/struts may b different. but the chassis is the same. ive done three conversions.. trust me.

someone else here will agree..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
Not saying your wrong I was just always told the V8 chassis was beefed up more which made it heavier, so that's why they would buy a v6 mustang and drop a V8 Into it cause at the end of the build the V6 car would be lighter than the V8 car even with the same motor.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
Base V6= 3,064 pounds

Base Gt= 3,327 pounds

V6 motor weights 351 pounds
V8 motor weights 486 pounds

Base V6 3,064 subtract the V6 motor 2,713 add the V8 comes out to *3,199*
Base Gt 3,327 with its V8 motor.

So a V6 swap would be 3,199 pounds compared to a Gt that is 3,327 pounds so indeed it is lighter to do the swap also have all the links to show where I got the weights from.
 

·
Titus Wadicus
Joined
·
2,103 Posts
Not saying your wrong I was just always told the V8 chassis was beefed up more which made it heavier, so that's why they would buy a v6 mustang and drop a V8 Into it cause at the end of the build the V6 car would be lighter than the V8 car even with the same motor.
sorry if i came across as cocky. but i just built a 96 with a 302 efi that used to b a v6 . i promise u my car weighs the same as a stock gt.

however, i just thought bout it. a convertible car has a heavier frame. even the springs are stiffer. thats the only application that i can think of one stang having a heavier frame than the other..

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

yea, i wanna see the link...:rolleyes:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,176 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
Ryan7racin said:
Base V6= 3,064 pounds

Base Gt= 3,327 pounds

V6 motor weights 351 pounds
V8 motor weights 486 pounds

Base V6 3,064 subtract the V6 motor 2,713 add the V8 comes out to *3,199*
Base Gt 3,327 with its V8 motor.

So a V6 swap would be 3,199 pounds compared to a Gt that is 3,327 pounds so indeed it is lighter to do the swap also have all the links to show where I got the weights from.
These car and engine weights can be based off many factors. If the car was full of fluids, had additional items like a/c, stereo and amps, and larger wheels and tires. All the little things added into a gt add up. As stated prior, I've also only heard if the frame being heavier and reinforced on a vert.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
kickerofdoom said:
Get a doner car or just buy the car. Also why swap out motor?
The 3,064 and 3,327 is stock VS stock from ford and is curb weights and already the v6 is 300+ pounds lighter. As I said give or take a few pounds cause I know the motor weights could be off some but still in the end a V6 mustang with a v8 will be lighter.

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

Ryan7racin said:
The 3,064 and 3,327 is stock VS stock from ford and is curb weights and already the v6 is 300+ pounds lighter. As I said give or take a few pounds cause I know the motor weights could be off some but still in the end a V6 mustang with a v8 will be lighter.
The weights on the 4.6 is a 4.6 2v with mods and I'm sure oil. The weight I stated on the 3.8 I think is a stock weight. But still with a swap the v6 car with a 4.6 is around 200 pounds lighter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
The weights you listed are wrong. According to your link the gt weighs only 3237, not a hundred pounds more. Knowing that the weights come out much closer and are marginal.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
Rosco said:
The weights you listed are wrong. According to your link the gt weighs only 3237, not a hundred pounds more. Knowing that the weights come out much closer and are marginal.
My link shows the Gt weights 3,327 pounds and the V6 weights 3,064. Not sure what you are talking about you lost me with the "not a hundred pounds more"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,257 Posts
Rosco said:
The weights you listed are wrong. According to your link the gt weighs only 3237, not a hundred pounds more. Knowing that the weights come out much closer and are marginal.
+11. I know my car weighs in at 3495 with a full tank!.. Plus the only reasons the V6 is lighter is because of the drivetrain, suspension (ie shocks, springs), and the rear end itself!.. But if you did a full on swap from a V6 to a GT, your car will then weigh just as much as the GT!.. Got a buddy that did a '99 V6 to '99 Cobra swap, his car now weighs just as much as a factory '99 Cobra!..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
Weights I listed are with no fluids! Im talking about stock weights from ford no oil no gas NO FLUIDS! I just did the math for you all. A stock Gt with no fluids is 3,327 pounds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,257 Posts
Ryan7racin said:
Weights I listed are with no fluids! Im talking about stock weights from ford no oil no gas NO FLUIDS! I just did the math for you all. A stock Gt with no fluids is 3,327 pounds.
Typically when some one is talking "Curb Weight", they generally mean all fluids filled, car is parked at the curb and ready to be driven!.. Hence the term Curb Weight!.. Just my experience though!..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
Ryan you keep listing the wrong weight. In the first link you posted that has the comparison, the gt is listed as 3237, not 3327. And as eturner noted, the 8.8 rear end on a gt is another given mass that weighs more than the v6 smaller diff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
Rosco said:
Ryan you keep listing the wrong weight. In the first link you posted that has the comparison, the gt is listed as 3237, not 3327. And as eturner noted, the 8.8 rear end on a gt is another given mass that weighs more than the v6 smaller diff.
True story.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

U have to a account for the diff which is the big difference in a v6 and v8. Motor swap and diff change will put u id say about 100 to 150 pounds lighter than a gt taking in mind the weight of the 3v. But also u have to add the weiggt of modules too like for the electronic tb and other sorts as ecm with the swap. Plus a k member adds more so id say ud be at or a tad less than a stock gt weight..........still a hella lot lighter than a 96 stang like mine lol
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top