Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
The consensus is 4.10's by a land slide.. If you drive interstates or highways maybe consider the 3.73's though.. There are a bunch of detailed threads on this topic already........

·
Registered
59 Posts
For 1/4 mile performance 4.10 will be the best. I had 3.73s in my 99 GT auto. They dropped me from 14.2 to 13.9 in the 1/4. I didnt go with 4.10 because of highway driving and the 4R70W trans only has a .70 overdrive.
at 70mph
3.73= 2,400rpms
4.10= 2,650rpms

As you know autos have a slight lag off the line. 3.73s just about got rid of the lag but 4.10s will give you a perfect launch on street tires. Plus in the 1/4 you will be crossing the finsh line at 100mph.
3.73 at 100mph = 4,900rpms
4.10 at 100mph = 5,400rpms
So you will have more H.P. at the finish. My car ran 13.92 with 3.73s, I am guessing it would have run 13.75 with 4.10s.

·
AmericanMuscle.com
2,878 Posts
I'm going to be doing gears. Which is better 373 or 410 in my automatic and why?
Don't fear the Gear Scottie! I would go with 4.10's if you have an auto, that will be the most beneficial set up. JSG has provided you with a good comparison we did a few months ago, check that out and let me know what you think!

We're here to help, let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance!

-Dan

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I know this is an older thread but I'm looking for some advice on gears for my 96 GT. I have the basic bolt on goodies but I'm thinking of getting a set of gears for next years season (as I live in MI the car will be parked in the garage in about 2 months). Want to purchase them this winter as each year I gather parts for my spring mods, lol. The car is mostly stock as I said, but I want to increase the performance even more as I have found out gears are one of the best and most cost effective way to achieve even more performance. I'm leaning towards a 410 gear from ford racing from American Muscle, the entire kit. My car is not a daily driver and is rarely on the freeway so MPG is not a huge concern. I will most likely be changing out the stock clutch as well this coming spring since its original (17 years old and 70k miles) I am also looking for advice on the clutch. I'm not planning on doing much more to the car as far as power or a SC etc. Just looking to utilize the power I have the most efficient way possible while still maintaining a worry free cruiser and maybe some bigger burn outs along the way, lol. Thanks for any advice anyone can give me, I really appreciate it. Or if any of you out there have a similar year car and tell me what results you have seen with your gear upgrade? Thanks again.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm new to the forum world but hope any insight I hope any insight I have helps. I have an 04 auto an love the 4.10s. A buddy of mine had 3.73 so I had a chance to drive it before I made my choice and just like what was said before the 4.10a make the auto fun. The car jumps out of the hole and chirps all the way thru third on DRs. Don't fear the gear! O and if it helps I got long tubes and plenum after the gear install and my Rpms on the interstate dropped from 3000 to 2700, running at 70mph. After tuning. So all in all as u continue to mod it all works out

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I'm new to the forum world but hope any insight I hope any insight I have helps. I have an 04 auto an love the 4.10s. A buddy of mine had 3.73 so I had a chance to drive it before I made my choice and just like what was said before the 4.10a make the auto fun. The car jumps out of the hole and chirps all the way thru third on DRs. Don't fear the gear! O and if it helps I got long tubes and plenum after the gear install and my Rpms on the interstate dropped from 3000 to 2700, running at 70mph. After tuning. So all in all as u continue to mod it all works out
That's not gonna cause your rpms to drop

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you are into roll racing the 4.10s will make you slower. 4.10s advantage is from a dig. Also you will be topping out at 110 or so depending on tire size.

·
Registered
147 Posts
1lowgt ur prob right my only reason for thinking that is prior to the headers and tb plenum the engine was working harder with the gears as compared to when they were installed allowing for more air

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
If you are into roll racing the 4.10s will make you slower. 4.10s advantage is from a dig. Also you will be topping out at 110 or so depending on tire size.
? I know a 95 cobra with 4.10s and he goes well over 110

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Thanks for all the advice and tips. I don't reach speeds over 110 often so that's not a concern. Looking for better 0-60 performance more than anything. More pop off the line.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
110 is not a max speed

1 - 20 of 26 Posts