Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in the Internet it is impossible to get a direct answer..many people say 5 qts, many say 6..I read 99-01 take 5 qts and 02-04 take 6, Than I read 99-01 takes 6 and 02-04 take 5, very confused..just changed my oil with filter..added 5 1/2 quarts and it appears the dipstick is showing over filled but we all know how these dipsticks S*CK!! How much oil goes in here..btw if it matters my car was built 01/02

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Mines 6 or that's how much I put in it lol

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now I'm thinking I should drain some..put in 5 1/2 and seems its over the max line :(

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You can download an owner's manual here. The recommended capacity for 2002 is 6.0 quarts.

However all 4.6L Mustangs should run 6.0 qt of motor oil. The original spec was 5 qt but it was found in late 2000 during some independent testing that there was a possibility of oil starvation in high-G turns, with the 5 quart fill. It is a slim possibility for a DD street car but a possibility nonetheless, so Ford raised the recommended fill to 6.0 qt in 2002.

The only other change was to the markings on the dipstick--same oil pan just more oil in it.

Here is a Ford TSB re: dipstick markings.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
I put 5.5 in our 04gt.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My dipstick def looks like it reads over the max..as of right now I put in 5.5 qts of oil..so I can safely put in the other .5 ? Reason I ask is because this dipstick sucks and realllllly don't trust it..drained my oil for 10-15 minute and also changed the filter so pretty sure it was pretty damn empty except for maybe a bit left over from the car being up on blocks for an exta 8' to work under the car . the car was at normal temp when i drained the oil as well...

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now I'm screwed..broke my dipstick thing is a POS!!! Can't find one anywhere but LMR and its 25$ and out of stock..any suggestion? Now I'm just 5.5 qts of oil in and def ain't getting a reading with the dip stick..should I just dump the other .5 qt in there to be safe of what? Anyone know where to buy a dipstick from for a 02 mustang 4.6

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Junk yard??

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Junk yard??
Yea ill try it tomorrow..gonna have to be for a 02-04 GT, from what I read online they changed the dipsticks..found one on cjponyparts for a whopping 35$ damnnnn

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I see. Well good luck. You got any junk yards around you?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see. Well good luck. You got any junk yards around you?
Yep got one 2 blocks from where I work..ill call em in the morning, if not looks like ill be paying 35$ to cjponyparts for a new one

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
cliffyk said:
Just curious, why? That's 1/2 qt low...
Because that shows full.

I'll bet many people don't fill the oil filter before installation. I also prime the system before checking level.

I run 6.5 in the cobra using the same procedure.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Off on a flat surface

1 - 20 of 20 Posts