Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday me and a 96 cobra dragged and I came out with a 11/2 car lead at the end. He said his car was all messed up because he hit a curb in the snow and broke his axle. Would the repair cause the car to lose power? Or is he just making up excuses

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yesterday me and a 96 cobra dragged and I came out with a 11/2 car lead at the end. He said his car was all messed up because he hit a curb in the snow and broke his axle. Would the repair cause the car to lose power? Or is he just making up excuses
I'm sure someone will correct me but I don't think you can even drive on a broken axle

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im pretty sure he said he fixed it I was telling him how I did a motor swap and got more power, and he said he hasnt done anything to the engine but he has a lot in the rear end with the repair

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have decent bolt ons?
Nope cai prochamber exhaust and and a 04 motor with the 21 lb injectors

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

He broke his axle while you guys were racing?
No he did it sometime before. He said it was in the snow. I wouldnt race in the snow lol

·
Registered
704 Posts
Sounds to me like it wasn't a cobra or maybe he'a just a terrible driver.
The later SN95 cobras made 305 or so and they are torque monsters.

·
Registered
555 Posts
If he upgraded to a larger axle which he probly did given his bad luck with the other axles he would notice a small loss in power. Nextly his car is a vert which pretty much null and voids his benifit of being a cobra over gt on a stock level. Also those heavier rims and low profile tires arnt doing him any favors for performance and are also hurting his E/T's. As well you have a fresh motor vs his motor that has been worn down by 17 years of age. If you feel like he was making excuses he probly was. I doubt he was a bad driver your car was probly just faster. The way I see it you got a clean kill, plain and simple.

·
Registered
555 Posts
E/T stands for Elapsed Time. Represents how long it take for you to go a specific distance. 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile or even the texas mile. You also get a MPH reading at like 60 foot marks that can be used to help tune and setup your car.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Youll notice many reach for the 4.10 gear on a stock car to improve aceleration. What most dont realize is that with the 4.10 gear at the end of the track you have a power robbing shift into 4th gear. 3.73's you dont have the 4th gear shift in the 1/4 mile but the 4.10 are still quicker with the extra gear. A good option is 3.90 gears on a manual car that is close to stock, a little easier to launch and wont have the power robbing shift into 4th. Just an FYI and example how the MPH feadback you get at the track can help you improve your car setup.

·
Registered
555 Posts
For a manual GT? I recommend the 4.10's over 3.73's if a power adder isnt anywhere in your near future. But I also recommend 3.90's over 4.10's for small bolt on manual cars that wont see anymore modding with use of regular street tires. If your planning on running very little street time with no power adder and will be spending alot of time at the track with slicks 4.30, 4.56 even 4.88 gears can be an option. For a automatic car you always go one gear set higher to receive the same performance level at the manual cars.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is a manual. And I mostly do street with track here and there. I wanna save and buy a power adder soon so should I go 3:90s or 4:10 Im on the highway alot also

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.