Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have sve lowering springs and eibach shocks. The springs lower 1-1.5 inches and I would like to get lower springs. How do I know if I will need new shocks or not? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Generally speaking, when you lower your Mustang, you should change the shocks & struts at the same time - the change in geometry of the suspension will reduce the life of the OE parts.

TJ

·
Super Moderator
17,863 Posts
You need new shocks and struts. Even if you had new OEM units they would suck, at almost 20 years old that is just not a good idea at all.

You will want CC plates too, the Max Motorsports plates are the only ones I would even consider using.

Real good budget shock/strut setup are the Tokico D specs which you can pick up for under $400 on ebay. If you are on a mega mega budget then the Tokico Blues are like $130 but they will be right on the edge of being ok and the ride won't be great. The D specs are much stouter and are adjustable too.

The car being an 02 means that if you haven not gone through the rest of your suspension then lowering the car is going to expose a LOT of worn out parts so be ready to start replacing everything. Better to just get it all knocked out as preventative maintenance IMO. Balljoints, tie rod ends, A arm bushings, swaybar endlinks and bushings and doing new stock stamped UCAs out back along with axle bushings and a good set of aftermarket lower control arms will help a lot too. Budget wise new OEM style stuff is good for the front, I think new rebuilt stock A arms with balljoints are like $80 each on Amazon and Moog stuff for everything else is good. Subframes also, real low profile ones like Global West or Spintech are nice but if you don't have to worry a ton about ground clearance then Steeda or Max Motorsports are good too.

Don't skimp on suspension, 1, there are way too many "douchestangs" running around (stang with super loud exhaust, stock suspension and stock tires). 2, your suspension system is what keeps you tracking straight and safe on the road so do it right or risk a legit much higher risk of serious injury to yourself or others.

Any other questions feel free to ask. These 04-down cars suck when it comes to suspension, the amount of money needing to be spent to make them handle and ride really well is crazy compared to the 05+ cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts