Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thank you for that info! One less thing to worry about. I did notice that the engine would turn over 4K when getting on the freeway. Throws a SES light every time I accelerate to freeway speeds. When I do that I do get a blinking SES light and sometimes a loss of power when the light blinks that goes away when the light stops blinking.

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Thanks for your advice. Plugs have been changed and the wires have been checked (Cyl 2 and 6 fire together on each rev, so switching the wires makes no difference-runs the same and the car throws the same codes.)

Checking the old and the new spark plugs after break in shows no difference on the #2 plug from the others.

I really did hope it was a bad plug or wire.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Thanks for your advice. Plugs have been changed and the wires have been checked (Cyl 2 and 6 fire together on each rev, so switching the wires makes no difference-runs the same and the car throws the same codes.)

Checking the old and the new spark plugs after break in shows no difference on the #2 plug from the others.

I really did hope it was a bad plug or wire.

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

Thank you for that info! One less thing to worry about. I did notice that the engine would turn over 4K when getting on the freeway. Throws a SES light every time I accelerate to freeway speeds. When I do that I do get a blinking SES light and sometimes a loss of power when the light blinks that goes away when the light stops blinking.
In every situation I've seen it, with a blinking SES light, and power loss, its almost always a misfire. If that happens again before we get it solved, then pull the code as soon as possible so we can see if it can tell where the misfire is happening

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The thing doesn't always throw a code when the blinking SES light happens.

If it does throw codes they are always the same: P0316 and P0302.

I have also gotten an SES light and a slight backfire noise from the right side when accelerating while turning right and when going over speed bumps at a constant speed.

It's weird.

BTW, any opinion on the FRP showing 0.0 PSI when I look at the Freeze Frame on my little scanner?

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
cessnadriver said:

I have also gotten an SES light and a slight backfire noise from the right side when accelerating while turning right and when going over speed bumps at a constant speed.

It's weird.

BTW, any opinion on the FRP showing 0.0 PSI when I look at the Freeze Frame on my little scanner?
May be dirty injectors or trash in your fuel lines. It's always good to change your fuel filter , they are like $5-6 around here and its really easy to change the the quick disconnect tool. The fuel filter is under the rear of your car.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

It's weird.

Your scan tool may not be able to monitor that PID. If it was 0 then the car wouldn't run period. What im getting from those codes, is to check your wires, and plugs. If youve got a multimeter, detach the wires and test resistance. I doubt youll get it to read OL on it, but check for a high resistance on them, which of the top of my head is anything over roughly .5 ohms per 12 inches of wire.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I did change the injector on #2 and it didn't help.

I am going to change the fuel filter soon, but....I HATE THAT JOB!!!
Who designs crap like that?

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

I did change the injector on #2 and it didn't help.

I am going to change the fuel filter soon, but....I HATE THAT JOB!!!
Who designs crap like that?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Its possible, but a malfunctioning FRP sensor will usually set a code, and your o2 sensors will throw a lean code. If i remember correctly, did you say youve changed all your plugs and wires? If so, look into maybe replacing the coil pack itself as well

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
My sentence wasn't very well-formed there, was it?

A diagnostic procedure on the plug wires is to switch the positions of the #2 and #6 wires on the coil block. Since they both fire at the same time on every rotation, if the #2 wire was bad it would have sent the misfire code to #6. The car ran the same and the P0302 code along with the P0316 codes came up. I went through several reset cycles.

Interesting thing: I got a FRP reading one time on the Freeze Frame. The reading was 65 PSI. The next cycle showed 0.0 again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Changed the fuel filter. I also resent the keep alive memory.

The car is running good, but still stumbling. I usually have to get about 20 miles after a reset for the thing to start throwing codes, so I'll keep you advised.

They could have found a less pain-in-the-butt place for that filter.

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
cessnadriver said:
Changed the fuel filter. I also resent the keep alive memory.

The car is running good, but still stumbling. I usually have to get about 20 miles after a reset for the thing to start throwing codes, so I'll keeu you advised.

They could have found a less pain in the but place for that filter.
+1 on the filter

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
This is so embarrassing....

It turned out to be the spark plug wires.

Apparently, the weak wires tricked the system into thinking the car was running out of gas, so it leaned out the right bank in an attempt to get more fuel to the left bank.

This caused a misfire code on the #2 cylinder (right bank).

The one thing I didn't change!

Dumb on my part.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry for the bump from a new guy. Having the same issue as the OP of this thread. Hesitation, choppy idle, etc. replaced the plug and wires, double checked the plug gaps, switched the plug and wire on #2 to #6 and still get the P0302 code, flashing SES light. From this thread I am leaning towards the camshaft position synchro, but wanted to be sure. Btw, this car is a Base V6, 3.8l, automatic with over 150,000 miles on it. Trying to get it running right without dumping money into parts left and right if I can help it because we are trying to sell it.

Appreciate the help in advance fellas.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts