Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be going with the hellion single turbo kit over this winter and am looking to make anything over 600+ rwhp

I know cobra motors can handle lots of power, is it really worth upgrading pistons and valve train? Is it needed to upgrade transmission or anything? What do you guys recommend doing or is necessary to build when doing a higher hp build.

Motor has 49xxxmiles

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
You will need at a minimum dual GT pumps, 60# injectors, maf of some sort. If still on 10 spline clutch I would look to upgrade to 26 spline with a nice rxt or something similar.

The IRS will hold up for a while but diff brace and solid diff bushings would be a need.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the motor isn't necessary to build but is it worth throwing in better pistons and doing some port jobs and what not? Was going to do custom turbo cams and headers along with it and roughly what you had mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
The heads don't need any porting, maybe get them a valve job and cleaned up if you are feeling froggy. I'd just run it with a safe tune at 600whp. You'll need a ****load of driveline/suspension upgrades on that chassis to reliably support that sort of power on a 04-down car tho. I'd do all that stuff before adding more power TBTH. Or you'll just be spinning your wheels or breaking things.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
I know the motor isn't necessary to build but is it worth throwing in better pistons and doing some port jobs and what not? Was going to do custom turbo cams and headers along with it and roughly what you had mentioned.

The pistons are the weak point. If you are shooting for 800+ and have a few grand just burning a hole in your pocket then go for it. Cams aren't worth the money in these cars either.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also looking to build my 03 Cobra convertible looking for800 plus HP on pump gas possibly E85 also looking for a thousand plus on Race Fuel car is pretty much set up to handle power frame connectors welded straight axle conversion 5 link Steeda suspension strange axles good diff 373 gears carbon fiber driveshaft McLeod 1000 clutch Magnum tranny any ideas on engine block to build and or complete engines thinking 2.9 Whipple don't want to go turbo running small Kenny Bell right now actually since 03 with boosta pump want to save original engine and put aside only has 24000 original miles I'm the original owner bought it in Fall of 02 any help would be appreciated

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts