Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so here's the story. I bought a 04 mustang gt last week. I told the dealer that before i bought it i would want the rear end fixed because i heard some weird whining. It seem'd fixed and everything was good for 24 hours. Randomly it came back so i drove it right back and had them fix it. But the service guy accidently ordered a 4.10 gear for it not knowing.
I just want someone to ease my mind and tell me that putting a 4.10 in my 04 GT wont kill my daily drivability. I do not care about gas mileage, i care about engine wear and whether or not ill be able to drive it like a gramma with that gearing.

Thanks- Andrew

·
Registered
185 Posts
Lucky lol. I wish I had 4.10 gears already. Having those gears won't hurt your engine or car anymore than the stock ones would. I don't know how you want to drive your car but those should make it real fun when you step on it.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
No it won't kill your drivability you might be at high rpms on highway but it'll be okay it doesn't hurt anything but gas mileage and your car will have more torque ;) i actually have 4.10 gears and full bolt on and have gotten 28 mpg . Also your gears will be shorter. Ik guys who have 4.30 gears for dd. you'll be okay with them

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Turned out the rear end was a used one and he said there was a tiny bit of whine in it. And said that for being a used 4.10 he thinks it will be just fine. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've heard people say before that the whinning was always there when they installed a 4.10. But even if i was okay with the whine should i be worried about the damage from it as a daily driver?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mine did wine at first, in the instruction manual it said to change the gear oil after 500 miles of break in, after that is when away and so far so good, its been 3 years and a lot of hard driving

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have had 4.10s installed for 5 years with a slight whine. No problems at all. Your going to love the gears. Make sure you get your speedometer corrected. Easiest way is a tuner. Cheapest way is a speedo recalibration box.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess i didn't realize it would effect my speedometer reading, thanks for lettin me know about that. I have like no first gear anymore, i almost always start in second now lol. But 2nd, 3rd and 4th show a noticeable acceleration increase. Isn't the gear oil like hard to get to and you need a special tool to even read it?

·
Registered
521 Posts
ksrumbel said:
I have had 4.10s installed for 5 years with a slight whine. No problems at all. Your going to love the gears. Make sure you get your speedometer corrected. Easiest way is a tuner. Cheapest way is a speedo recalibration box.
How do you calibrate it with an sct tuner?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts