Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after more miles and a lot more looking, i have narrowed down the sound being generated. after extended highway drives (30 min or more) there seems to be a gear whine that develops that is more noticeable in 4th and 5th gear. after this noise begins, so does the low speed turning clunk. clunk only occurs when the car is out of gear and coasting such as into a parking spot or my driveway. once it cools down, sound vanishes. i opened up the rear end and found that the gear wear pattern looks perfect and the gear lash in perfectly within spec. the only oddity i notice is that there seems to be a lot of slack from the point of turning the driveshaft till the wheels catch up the slack. :confused: any help would be great.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thats normal to have that as long as it isnt excessive.

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

Also do you have a short throw shifter? They tend to make more noise and many people mistake it to be a trans problem or gear problem. Mine does make a similar noise in 4th and 5th as well but doesnt always do it. Just a thought

1 - 2 of 2 Posts