Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I was in a Collison a little while ago and I have never been able to get the alignment right. The tie rod is bottoming out and my max motors caster camber plates are maxed out to the right for camber so this leads me to believe the k member is bent and I need to replace it. My question is will a stock k member from a v6 work from the junkyard or would you stay away from there. I really do not have the funds for a tubular k member and I do not want one that is mainly for drag racing. What should I do?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
There is nothing wrong with finding a clean, straight, k-member in a wrecking yard to install. Body shops do it all of the time.
I recommend taking the car to a body shop first though. Have them put the car on a frame rack and they will be able to tell you exactly what is not in alignment, and whether or not a replacement K-member will put the car back within factory specifications.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know how much that would cost?

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

For them to see what is out of alignment.

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

And how can you tell if the k member is good from a junkyard

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
I don't know how much it would cost. I suppose that it varies depending on location. Just call around to a few REPUTABLE body shops and explain your problem to them. They can probably give you a quote over the phone for checking the vehicles frame alignment. They may even be able to straighten whatever is out of alignment, without having to tear half of the car apart, saving you a lot of time and trouble.

If I was looking for a good K-member in a wrecking yard, I would try to find a car that looked like it never had any sort of front end damage. A car that was rear-ended would probably be a good candidate. In any case, the k-member should be carefully inspected for any signs of damage. If you don't think that you are qualified to do the inspection, perhaps you know someone with experience, who could go with you and help you find a straight K-member.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies. I will call some shops as soon as I have time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was looking into upgrading to a tubular K-member. I checked with the local Ford dealership and the k-member is the same for both v-6 and v-8.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Or find someone upgrading to tubular setup. I've thrown away 3 or 4 over the years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts