Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at some shorty headers for my mustang, I was looking at the Pypes and the BBK is there a big difference between the 2? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Most lower end headers are copies of higher end headers so their numbers are very close. Pypes are stainless steel so that is a major plus.

Why no long tubes?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have the Ford Racing Shorties on my car and they have been great, until I had an oxygen sensor go bad. The sensor on the driver's side collector is so close to the firewall that I cannot even get a wrench on it. I will need to loosen the engine mounts and lift the motor to get to it.

Check your headers BEFORE you buy them and make sure the sensor bung is placed where you can work on it later!

·
Registered
326 Posts
IMO. I would go with Long Tubes if you want to make some difference in power. Your OEM shorties are pretty good, aftermarket short tubes wont make much difference. If thats all you are changing. Short tubes, x pipe and axle-back; theres a good combo, if you have the coin.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
IMO. I would go with Long Tubes if you want to make some difference in power. Your OEM shorties are pretty good, aftermarket short tubes wont make much difference. If thats all you are changing. Short tubes, x pipe and axle-back; theres a good combo, if you have the coin.
This gets old lol.

Shorties provide fantastic gains. This is a myth that I believe started in older Mustang generations. LTs no doubt make more power but shorties make great power while being much cheaper. I'd still go LT either way (well I did) because I needed to have every bit of available power.

·
Registered
326 Posts
This gets old lol.

Shorties provide fantastic gains. This is a myth that I believe started in older Mustang generations. LTs no doubt make more power but shorties make great power while being much cheaper. I'd still go LT either way (well I did) because I needed to have every bit of available power.
I see what you mean, lol. There are about 3 other posts with people arguing about shorties/long tubes. Almost as bad as 3.73 vs 4.10 gears.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I see what you mean, lol. There are about 3 other posts with people arguing about shorties/long tubes. Almost as bad as 3.73 vs 4.10 gears.
Hehe, googling dynos would show a very consistent gain in almost all cars. Less than LT yes, but not "practically nothing".

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Off topic, I love when all the forum rats say "if your going FI you don't want 4.10s" lol almost everyone with a roots or centrifugal blower or turbo has 410s, check for yourself at dragtimes . Com

·
Registered
193 Posts
Off topic, I love when all the forum rats say "if your going FI you don't want 4.10s" lol almost everyone with a roots or centrifugal blower or turbo has 410s, check for yourself at dragtimes . Com
Wouldn't it be difficult to hook with FI and 4.10's?

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
They have 8 sec cars launching and doing wheel stands on drag radials and you going to tell me you can't get a 450hp 11 sec mustang to hook, lol that just means you can drive is all, not to much gear

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
They have 8 sec cars launching and doing wheel stands on drag radials and you going to tell me you can't get a 450hp 11 sec mustang to hook, lol that just means you can drive is all, not to much gear
Game. Set. Match. 40-Love

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The reason I wanted shorty a is because I have a O/R X pipe and axle backs, if I do LT I would have to get a shorter mid pipe I just don't think it's worth the $400+ extra dollars for 5-10hp extra power

1 - 20 of 25 Posts