Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy at work always brags about his BA 370Z, claims he would out run me, because his car isn't as heavy. From what I have read he's pushing about 330hp and they run around mid 13's. The Shelby GT is said to have 315hp with stock Ford Racing CAI and performance X-Pipe. I have ran a 13.3 at the track. He has more horsepower, but I'm not so sure he would outrun me as easy as he thinks… Should I wait until I install my headers & exhaust, or line em up now?! Thoughts??

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Mad Hatter said:
Guy at work always brags about his BA 370Z, claims he would out run me, because his car isn't as heavy. From what I have read he's pushing about 330hp and they run around mid 13's. The Shelby GT is said to have 315hp with stock Ford Racing CAI and performance X-Pipe. I have ran a 13.3 at the track. He has more horsepower, but I'm not so sure he would outrun me as easy as he thinks… Should I wait until I install my headers & exhaust, or line em up now?! Thoughts??
A Shelby GT? I don't know about that... Is it a GT or a Shelby GT500?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Should be a close race as they are right now. The Z probably does have more peak HP and is lighter but you have more torque and broader HP/Torque curves than he does. That should even things out. If you beat him you can tout the difference in price too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A Shelby GT? I don't know about that... Is it a GT or a Shelby GT500?
Shelby GT, it's not supercharged, but it's still got a Shelby custom number. More of an appearance package and a shelby custom tune. A little more expensive than a regular GT, really just paying for the name.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
There is a YouTube video from forum wars, featuring a Nismo 350z vs a Shelby GT. The Shelby destroys the Z, but it's obvious the better driver is in the Shelby.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Edge to the Z but it willbe easier for you to run 13.3 again than for him to run 13.3. They are good for the same time you put out.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
you have track experience so that might be the edge, if he cant hook up you will win for sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a friend who has both a Shelby GT and a GT500. The GT is a Mustang GT with a CAI and tune (HP goes up from 300 to 319) and a few minor suspension upgrades. It is as another friend says one the "Carroll Shelby breathed on" as the changes from a stock GT were made by Shelby at his place in Las Vegas. All of the GT500's were made in the Ford Auto Alliance plant in Detroit but Shelby had lots of influence in their design.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Race him on a road course, you will beat him easy, the Shelby GT was built for road racing not drag racing but you may beat him. 411 gears and a new tune will be all you need. Shelby put a safe tune in these cars so there is room for improvement.
Most people think Shelby just put his name on the car and send it out the door, not true, the Ford Racing suspension is what these cars are all about, Real fun to drive and will out handle the GT500 too, but not as fast in the 1/4 mile (geared right in the 1/8 maybe). The new GT350 is not the middle car in the bunch it is the top, at 90k price tag,it a real animal all around.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Race him on a road course, you will beat him easy, the Shelby GT was built for road racing not drag racing but you may beat him. 411 gears and a new tune will be all you need. Shelby put a safe tune in these cars so there is room for improvement.
Most people think Shelby just put his name on the car and send it out the door, not true, the Ford Racing suspension is what these cars are all about, Real fun to drive and will out handle the GT500 too, but not as fast in the 1/4 mile (geared right in the 1/8 maybe). The new GT350 is not the middle car in the bunch it is the top, at 90k price tag,it a real animal all around.
A 370z was built for road racing more so than a Shelby GT. although the S197 is the best chassis to date

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
SGTman said:
GT350 is the top now?

·
Registered
201 Posts
It's the top Shelby American Mustang for road courses. They still do Super Snakes & the Shelby 1000 w/ 1000bhp. But with all that extra weight up front, I believe the 350 outruns the bigger snakes as soon as there are turns involved.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
UOP Shadow said:
It's the top Shelby American Mustang for road courses. They still do Super Snakes & the Shelby 1000 w/ 1000bhp. But with all that extra weight up front, I believe the 350 outruns the bigger snakes as soon as there are turns involved.
Where does the GTS fit in?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Have to pull the specs from Shelby American website.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The GTS is like the CS6/CS8 programis a Mustang you purchase and send to a Shelby Mod Shop to be turned into a Shelby GTS. You can just do appearance package or have all the GT 350 components installed, it up to you and how much money you want to spend. The car when completed will be a post titled Shelby in the registery. It will not have a pre title registery like the 65/66 GT350/GT350H and the 06 /07GTH / 07/08 Shelby GT & GT-C. I don't think they built many of then since the program started, The new Boss302 /GT500 are a better value & bang for the bucks IMO.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts