Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing searches to find out info on the above. Has anyone made this mod to their car? It seems to be a fairly easy mod. Where did you get the roller rockers? How much did you pay? What are the real benefits that you gained in making this mod?

I'm considering doing this. I've read that increasing the ratio from 1.73 to 1.8 on our cars with the roller rockers increases horsepower 15-20hp. I've also read that it smooths out the engine some. I'm not sure about the torque improvement, which would be an important part of my decision.

I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
567 Posts
youll see only a few hp with them.

we have 1.73's stock, so the only upgrade will be converting them to roller.

1.8 will give you a few more, for maybe a total of 5hp, along with being roller.

IMO, spend your money elsewhere.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has anyone had any personal experience with this mod? Does anyone have any facts based on track performance or dyno's that shows that this is a small or moderate improvement?

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
I am not sure where you read 15-20 hp gain but like stangin99 said it is as at best 5 hp and if you are not ever going to get a performance cam it is a nice mod with a decent gain for the money

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Danger Dude said:
I am not sure where you read 15-20 hp gain but like stangin99 it ias at best 5 hp and if you are not ever gioing to gt a performance cam it is a nice mod with a decent gain for the money
The 15-20 hp comes mostly from ads, and I know to take that with a "grain of salt". But, a 4% improvement in ratio and an increase in duration seems like it could be a good improvement and a worthwhile investment. I got a pm from one guy who installed them and claimed to have a .1-.2 improvement in quarter times.

I do plan to change cams later, but I thought that this might be a good interim step that could enhance the cam with the right combination. And, it doesn't require much to make the change. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and experiences.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A certain distributor of performance products north of the border used to quote
15-20hp gains from 1.8 roller rockers. This was an unsubstantiated claim. You'll
gain a few horsepower, possibly increased gas mileage and smoother revving.
All of my customers that have purchased 1.8 roller rockers and installed them as
a mod all by themselves have liked the results.
If you don't plan on getting a cam 1.8s are cool for you. If you plan on a cam make
sure that you take into account what your cylinder heads actually flow when
selecting a cam and take into account the 1.8 rockers too. Usually I only
recommend 1.8s to customers getting heads/cam if they are getting big valve
heads that are going to benefit from that much more lift and they can't get it with
cam alone (pretty rare since I have a wide selection of high lift lobes).

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I had a cam and 1:8s, I had a hard time getting the engine to run right, it never idled very well, I had morana heads with oversized valves too. I couldn't stop for a stop light with my aode trans. without the engine dying unless I left footed the brakes and kept the engine running with my foot on the gas. This phenomenon and others were the deciding factors for my trading for my GT which I love!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Rick0636 said:
I had a cam and 1:8s, I had a hard time getting the engine to run right, it never idled very well, I had morana heads with oversized valves too. I couldn't stop for a stop light with my aode trans. without the engine dying unless I left footed the brakes and kept the engine running with my foot on the gas. This phenomenon and others were the deciding factors for my trading for my GT which I love!!
I believe you had underlying issues. Unless the heads were so hogged
out that they lost flow at low lift you shouldn't have had idle problems
with a good tune.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Well, not so sure the tune was proper, I didn't have enough vacuum at idle for the brakes to even work properly without reving it up some for that matter, I am just glad I got rid of it really, I was sick of it! Could have had something to do with the SBMS intakes too, who knows? He did my upper and lower intakes, or whoever did that did his porting did that is. :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Rick" Yeah you definetly had some serious issues somewhere along the line with your car most likely dealing with the tune/EEC or some over-looked area. I doubt the heads/cam/rockers/intakes if properly installed would replicate your problems.

I went with 1.8's on my new set-up to get the added lift and benefit from the adjustability.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts