Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one replaced their stock drive shaft with the light weight 1 PCM drive shaft. Is it worth the $700 bucks?

·
Registered
7,573 Posts
I'm not sure, I knw it was discussed in another thread
Thanks cool. Yeah, the OP might want it lighter. If that's the case the real question they have to ask themselves is the following : Is he or she willing to shell out 700 bucks to loose maybe 30 pounds off the vehicle. Is that important enough to the OP to spend that kind of money.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Maybe it's the whole snapping thing that they are worried about... That's what's got me spending the $$$$$... And supposedly you can shave .2 seconds off your 1/4 time so technicly it would be a performance upgrade

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks cool. Yeah, the OP might want it lighter. If that's the case the real question they have to ask themselves is the following : Is he or she willing to shell out 700 bucks to loose maybe 30 pounds off the vehicle. Is that important enough to the OP to spend that kind of money.
I guess my question is do you notice a difference in performance?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Its 30lbs of rotational weight, not the same as a 30lbs lighter driver. Actually i heard it was 47lbs for stock, 21-22 for one piece. So 25lbs. That's about 47% less weight to rotate. This will slightly help hp and mpg's. Is it worth it? I truly don't know, but I will probably get one.

IF it saved you 1 mpg... (which I dont know if it would)... Lets say you currently avg 25mpg and say fuel cost $3.50gal. You are paying 14cents per mile (its a 14 gal tank right). Well lets say your mpgs got to 26mpg, then you would be paying roughly 13.5cents a gal. Thats about half a penny for each mile. So if the driveshaft cost $700, according to this logic, it will pay for itself after 130, 000 miles. I plan on keeping mine forever so I think ts worth it in the long run

·
Registered
7,573 Posts
I guess my question is do you notice a difference in performance?
I actually have no idea. I am currently running on the stock 2 piece driveshaft. I would spend the 700 bucks if I wanted the peace of mind knowing it was safer traveling in excess speeds of 135 MPH plus. Since I have very little interest in traveling speeds of that I have no intention of spending 700 dollars on this particular mod. If I was racing track for money where the difference in a win can be 1 tenth second, then if you can pick up two tenths second with the one piece it would be worth it. I have no idea if one would feel the difference in pickup or throw back in seat feeling from a gain of 2 tenths second.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually have no idea. I am currently running on the stock 2 piece driveshaft. I would spend the 700 bucks if I wanted the peace of mind knowing it was safer traveling in excess speeds of 135 MPH plus. Since I have very little interest in traveling speeds of that I have no intention of spending 700 dollars on this particular mod. If I was racing track for money where the difference in a win can be 1 tenth second, then if you can pick up two tenths second with the one piece it would be worth it. I have no idea if one would feel the difference in pickup or throw back in seat feeling from a gain of 2 tenths second.
Well what I'm planning on doing was to get the 1 PCM drive shaft 3.73 gears and a tuner to get more performance out of my baby.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Well what I'm planning on doing was to get the 1 PCM drive shaft 3.73 gears and a tuner to get more performance out of my baby.
It definitely helps a lot if you have upgraded tires and different gears. Even if you have everything stock it helps a lot.

·
Registered
7,573 Posts
Sounds good. You will love the performance tuner. I'm looking to get gears myself. I hear shaft master makes a really good one piece aluminum driveshaft and I saw on there website it costs around 600. They had a 50 off last month to bring it down to around 550.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds good. You will love the performance tuner. I'm looking to get gears myself. I hear shaft master makes a really good one piece aluminum driveshaft and I saw on there website it costs around 600. They had a 50 off last month to bring it down to around 550.
I called shaft master and they don't make one for the 2011 + v6 anymore at least.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Wow. I had no idea. Thank you for the good information. I wonder why
The drive shaft shop makes one and it's 650-700 then American muscle has one but they are always sold out of them. Its not on the drive shaft shop website though you either have to call them or email them.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
What does a twisted off one look like????

OH!!!

Talk about a great design. I'm wondering why they would even think of something like this.

Ronnie

1 - 20 of 30 Posts