Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of stuff....

I only made one pass. The 11.3 was at full weight, complete interior including seats, A/C, PS etc...

The car had 10s in it had I pulled some weight and if my driving that pass would have been a little better. I datalogged the run. My shifts were slow for me. They averaged about .3s per shift. Definitely had an off night...

I am not sure the N2O worked. I have to check the car out later today to see what happened. The air temps in the datalogger did not show much if any improvement = the N2O may not have triggered. I used 2 WOT switches. One on the clutch pedal and one on the TB. I'll have to see if they are aligned right.

I blew the motor going through the traps. Why? Fuel pressure and/or lack of octane. At my power level and on a cool night like last night the single Focus pump struggled to keep up. The engine did not fail due to RPM or power it failed because it started detonating right before the traps and I chose to drive it out. It was a choice. Delta P for pressure hovered aroung 30-35 and even dipped into the 20s once or twice.

My air temp at the end of the run was 236 = way too high. The 30 shot just wasn't enough to keep temps down.

It was kind of cool. It was a good "Hollywood" type event. Cloud of smoke and even some flame out of the tailpipes for the crowd.

The track guys were quick to remind me that I'd need a cage for that ET.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Damn, that's pretty quick pete.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Nice

·
Registered
47 Posts
Boom!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll take an 11.3 boom over an all show and no go car anyday.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Rob that is Denial. You know if you went to the track and laid down a 11.3 but blew your engine you would still be happy with those numbers. :lol: :D

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Well I was thinking a little slower like 11.4. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
How would you know it wasn't a 10.9???

No guts no glory... You don't know where the edge is until you go over it once or twice.

·
Registered
47 Posts
97Stallion said:
I think I rather have a happy medium. :D
I agree, unless you have almost unlimited funds.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
michael.konor said:
I agree, unless you have almost unlimited funds.
Blah, I'll still have less into my combo, including a couple of shortblocks, compared to some other guys have ;) ... And I'm faster.

Its always been and always will be about maximizing what you have.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hahahaha, not anymore....

I will say that mailorder chip TUNERS cost me two engines... That never helps expenses.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
michael.konor said:

I will say that mailorder chip TUNERS cost me two engines... That never helps expenses.
I think for the most part there is almost no need for mail order chips with the development of the SCT software. I personally think more people if they were smart would get the SCt racer package so they can tune their our cars, but that's just me thinking out loud. As for the people that don't go all out a mail order chip is a good deal, but you have to be knowledgable of who you buy from.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Tuning a car is involved. the key to a mail order tune is putting a bung on the exhaust so an air fuel meter can tell you the air/fuel ratio. let the tunner know how the chip is. It may need adjusting. Its better tham running too lean. hey Pete what plugs and what gap are you using on your set up? do you run 93 or go higher on the octane?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
michael.konor said:

You arguing an unwinnable arguement. I could put in 5 stock shortblocks depending on price and still have less invested...and still be faster.

You cost yourself 2 motors. No matter what you buy from who...you are still ultimately responsible to make sure the product is installed/working correctly.

Its seems you're jealous and desperate to belittle what I have proven... Get over it and get over yourself.

You have a high dollar, show queen. Be proud of your creation and accept that others will always be faster...some for less money invested.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
smokin6 said:
Tuning a car is involved. the key to a mail order tune is putting a bung on the exhaust so an air fuel meter can tell you the air/fuel ratio. let the tunner know how the chip is. It may need adjusting. Its better tham running too lean. hey Pete what plugs and what gap are you using on your set up? do you run 93 or go higher on the octane?
Mail order tunes can work just fine. If its close, the EEC can compensate some to fine tune BUT on a blower or N2O application the customer should always get some A/F feedback to verify the tune.

I usually run AWSFA12Cs at .035. With the newest power being 450+rwhp... I am now using Iridiums at about .032.

93/94 most of the time. With the N2O I have used 100+ as insurance. The last time at the track/loss of the motor I didn't have as much high octane in the tank. It was 90% 93/94. I am convinced the motor could have been saved with at least 50% 100 octane.

Its getting cold here in MI. Our stations start switching to "winter grade" fuel which can be risky to use in a high performance motor.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
97Stallion said:
I think for the most part there is almost no need for mail order chips with the development of the SCT software. I personally think more people if they were smart would get the SCt racer package so they can tune their our cars. As for the people that don't go all out a mail order chip is a good deal
Yes and no. $800 for a Racer's package is still pricey. The new X Calibrator flasher with Quicktune software is a good compromise for much less money.

Chips are still a cost effective way for the bolt-on guys to improve the tune.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts