Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has 67k miles, not sure what the previous owner did about maintaining.

Who uses what fuel injector cleaner? Do you get it done professionally, or just use the auto zone bottles, or just put good gas in?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about Lucas Injector Cleaner or the Chevron stuff?

always heard those are quality.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Try some Shell V Power Nitro Premium, a couple of tanks will
make a difference. I run a cheaper gas sometimes and come back to Shell to balance it out.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't put anything but shell or chevron in my vehicles.

Can someone explain why it's a no go on injector cleaner?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Surprisingly i have heard amazing stuff about costco gas, anyone run across tuning a car on costco gas ?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Because almost all injector cleaners don't work, especially on multi hole injectors. If the cars running right, it's unlikely there is an issue here. These things don't require regular maintenance, unlike what all the fuel companies and injector cleaner retailers tell you.

·
Super Moderator
5,239 Posts
I don't think the cleaners are bad, I just feel they are a waste of $.

If you do use the type you add to your gas make sure you use the funnel that is with your spare or there is a good chance it'll just pour down the inner fender onto your shoes rather than into the gas tank.

·
Registered
218 Posts

If you do use the type you add to your gas make sure you use the funnel that is with your spare or there is a good chance it'll just pour down the inner fender onto your shoes rather than into the gas tank.
For sure. I did use some Royal Purple 11722 Max-Clean Fuel System Cleaner and Stabilizer as I thought my engine wasn't running quite right and we put to much Stabil in over the winter and I think it was clogging some stuff. After that tank of gas and Royal Purple went through - engine is running fine and I use premium with no ethanol in it almost all the time. We just got back from Texas and all of their Shell etc had ethanol in it - only Phillips 66 didn't but of course was a bit more expensive. She ran great though! The great thing was we averaged 25 miles to the gallon for the trip! On one good tank of gas and flat straight driving - I got her up to 26.8

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
TECHRON from Chevron is all I ever have used in my 2012.
I put it in when I know I'm going to be going up the interstate for a lot of miles.
Weather I need to or not, It makes me feel better to think I have clean injectors.

The crappy carburetor on my Samurai gets gummed up from sitting, I don't really use it enough,
I pour STP complete fuel system cleaner into the carb as well as add it to the tank and the little four wheeler runs like new again.
Ronnie

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah mines got high mileage so I'm leaning toward purchasing something.

Can't hurt right ?

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Cleaning the injectors, Techron is excellent
Getting the carbon off the pistons, Nothing better then Sea-Foam.
Ronnie

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
How many here have actually ever disassembled an engine and actually inspected buildup like this and the effect of stuff like this? I've torn down and rebuilt lots of engines in 30+.years in this game and this just isn't the problem it was when leaded fuels were used and smog and fuel control was all analog.

There is no real problem anyone is solving with this snake oil. Use quality fuel and change the oil reasonably regularly and everything will be fine.

The only exception to this are high mile direct injection gas applications. A shot of seafoam into the intake, engine running, every 25k or so is a good preventative for buildup on intake valves that are cleaned off by the shot of fuel in a PI application.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Hi 5LHO,
I agree,
I just use Techron once a year when I go to Pa. from Florida and running up the interstate. Weather the injectors need cleaning or not, It don't hurt anything to use it.
I have the oil catch can on my car and don't know if Sea Foam will be needed.

The Mini Turbo four is famous for Carbon buildup on the pistons and if you go to the Mini Forums you will find that it is :SEA FOAM" that seems to be the best at spitting out the carbon.

Ronnie

·
Registered
123 Posts
How do you get the injector cleaner into the tank? Just poured a whole bottle of Techron all over the floor, not a drop went into the tank??

·
Registered
123 Posts

That is precisely what happened to me me, guess I have to use a long skinny funnel right? All over the FN floor, what a dope!!!
Cut the bottom off the Techron bottle and used it as a funnel, all is well.

·
Registered
541 Posts
There should be a funnel in the trunk for this? My ‘13 came with one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 18 of 18 Posts