Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car just ended it's three-year warranty, and coming home last night something was flickering, I'm guessing it was one of the fog lights.
I had one fixed about a year ago it was a $700 fog light.
I see a $700 bill coming my way if I use a OEM part.
Anybody else having this nonsense with these fog lights?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Go to Tousley/White bear and just buy one. They aren't anywhere near $700 and the installation isn't complicated. I'd call them bc the parts list shows you have to buy bulb and light separately and that's not true, it's a sealed unit.

I've had no problems on my '14 with these and they are on all the time, bc DRL. Granted, I've only got 15,000-ish miles on the car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Until it goes out I won't know exactly what it was.
Maybe everything will be OK when I come home from work later.
But I have a feeling somethings going.

I'll check that website ,thank you.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Check the connection and smear some dielectric grease.

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
Is it the same fog light as the one that was replaced when it was under warranty? If so, the dealer will have paperwork on it, and it should still have warranty coverage on the replacement. If an item was replaced under warranty and the vehicle warranty expires, the part that was replaced should still be covered. Check with your service adviser.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've had no problems on my '14 with these and they are on all the time, bc DRL. Granted, I've only got 15,000-ish miles on the car.
The DRLs on mine are only those horizontal LED bars in front of the head lights, not the fogs. Fog lights only come on when the head lights are on and you've pulled the center of the HL switch outward into the on position for them.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
For me, it's bc Canada....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it the same fog light as the one that was replaced when it was under warranty? If so, the dealer will have paperwork on it, and it should still have warranty coverage on the replacement. If an item was replaced under warranty and the vehicle warranty expires, the part that was replaced should still be covered. Check with your service adviser.
no, if I remember correctly the driver side was out last time.

·
Registered
477 Posts
You can also buy these used all day long on the forums and on Ebay for a fraction of the price of a new one.

Wayne

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
FOG light

It's the same one that went out before, the dealer would not warranty even though my warranty is still in effect until the end of this month. Kind of a slimy things to do I think.

So far the light is back on and working on its own but I don't know how long It will continue.

And getting to the plug to see if it's tight is really a nightmare I think the best way to get to it from under the car and reach up to the grill, can't get it from the top even after removing the cover plate that goes over them in the radiator.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Probably quicker to just take the bumper off. That's about a 15 minute job and will give totally access.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Probably quicker to just take the bumper off. That's about a 15 minute job and will give totally access.
I guarantee it would not be a 15 minute job with me I work slow.
Somehow I will get my head on that plug though

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
It's really easy. It's remove the lower panel screws (19) and undertray, remove the upper trim push pins and rad cover. 4 7mm bolts (2 per fender) and pop the bumper off each fender side and pretty much done.

It's squeezy without removal, for sure, long fingers and skinny hands help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guy at work says a friend of his had a problem with his LED fog light in his Mustang, he told me he thought it was the plug, they go through heat cycles and get looser.
I don't know if that's true but that's a good possibility as mine has worked every day after that photo.

Another reason for dielectric grease and getting my hands to that plug.

Maybe this will help somebody with the same problem apparently it's pretty common.

... Heat cycles loosening the plug

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I run the things pretty much all the time, bc they are the DRLs and LEDs generally tend not to run hot like HIDs or halogens do but, it's still possible. There is a big heat sink on there for a reason.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I run the things pretty much all the time, bc they are the DRLs and LEDs generally tend not to run hot like HIDs or halogens do but, it's still possible. There is a big heat sink on there for a reason.
You're not kidding that heat sink is massive.
I have to say mine was flickering as if it had a lose contact, I wish I could get that plug easier than it is I can't even see it.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Are the fog lights on all the time as DRLs(?)
In Sask., I have only seen the tri-bars, & on mine, the headlights(?)
I have never seen fog lights for DRLs(???)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts