Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 40 of 220 Posts

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Lol it's ok. I'm glad there people in the world who can't distinguish the finer details. Explains why there are chubby chasers and fugly farmers. Leaves the better looking ones open for the rest of us. To them they all look the same.
hot damn! I'll take lefty for sure bro!

·
Registered
768 Posts
more classic cars come to mind as muscle .. But that's just me ..
According to - Musclecarclub.com - American Muscle Car information, statistics, and pictures.
Strict Definition of a Muscle Car:

A muscle car, by the strictest definition, is an intermediate sized, performance oriented model, powered by a large V8 engine, at an affordable price. Most of these models were based on "regular" production vehicles. These vehicles are generally not considered muscle cars, even when equipped with large V8s. If there was a high performance version available, it gets the credit, and not the vehicle that it was based on.
Fullsize Muscle Car:

The strict definition only includes intermediate size vehicles. In reality, performance oriented intermediate size vehicles didn't appear until 1964. Before then, manufacturers took existing fullsize vehicles and added extra performance to them. Because of this, the early fullsize performance vehicles are generally considered muscle cars.
Pony Cars and Compact Cars:

In addition to fullsize and intermediate muscle cars, a number of smaller vehicles started appearing on the automotive performance scene. These new "pony cars" and compact cars are generally considered muscle cars only if they have the top of the line performance engines and options.
Some of todays offerings seem to qualify as " muscle cars "

·
Banned
1,146 Posts
According to - Musclecarclub.com - American Muscle Car information, statistics, and pictures.
Strict Definition of a Muscle Car:

A muscle car, by the strictest definition, is an intermediate sized, performance oriented model, powered by a large V8 engine, at an affordable price. Most of these models were based on "regular" production vehicles. These vehicles are generally not considered muscle cars, even when equipped with large V8s. If there was a high performance version available, it gets the credit, and not the vehicle that it was based on.
Fullsize Muscle Car:

The strict definition only includes intermediate size vehicles. In reality, performance oriented intermediate size vehicles didn't appear until 1964. Before then, manufacturers took existing fullsize vehicles and added extra performance to them. Because of this, the early fullsize performance vehicles are generally considered muscle cars.
Pony Cars and Compact Cars:

In addition to fullsize and intermediate muscle cars, a number of smaller vehicles started appearing on the automotive performance scene. These new "pony cars" and compact cars are generally considered muscle cars only if they have the top of the line performance engines and options.
Some of todays offerings seem to qualify as " muscle cars "
Correct that is why the GTO is the original muscle car. It was an optional performance package of the Tempest. Had an available 348hp 383 in 1964 not much could touch it on the street next to the vette. That is what a muscle car is to me. A factory car stripped down light, fast and takes much more expensive cars to beat it. The Mustang GT, Boss, etc. are just that. Dodge has the Viper and Chevy has the vette those are the American cars that will take down the Mustang. Per trim levels the Mustang beats all Camaro's and Challenger's across the board. The Mustang with a V8 which is not a big motor but has big HP will be a muscle car in my eyes always. Until the other big two can squash the Mustang with their muscle car. Never gonna happen.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
. According to - Musclecarclub.com - American Muscle Car information, statistics, and pictures. . Strict Definition of a Muscle Car: A muscle car, by the strictest definition, is an intermediate sized, performance oriented model, powered by a large V8 engine, at an affordable price. Most of these models were based on "regular" production vehicles. These vehicles are generally not considered muscle cars, even when equipped with large V8s. If there was a high performance version available, it gets the credit, and not the vehicle that it was based on. . Fullsize Muscle Car: The strict definition only includes intermediate size vehicles. In reality, performance oriented intermediate size vehicles didn't appear until 1964. Before then, manufacturers took existing fullsize vehicles and added extra performance to them. Because of this, the early fullsize performance vehicles are generally considered muscle cars. . Pony Cars and Compact Cars: In addition to fullsize and intermediate muscle cars, a number of smaller vehicles started appearing on the automotive performance scene. These new "pony cars" and compact cars are generally considered muscle cars only if they have the top of the line performance engines and options. . Some of todays offerings seem to qualify as " muscle cars "
yes I have read the definition of a muscle car .. I know that some people call the newer models modern muscle. But whether I consider it a muscle car is the problem .... And according to wiki.... I know no one is probably going to agree with me on this and that's ok...

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
yes I have read the definition of a muscle car .. I know that some people call the newer models modern muscle. But whether I consider it a muscle car is the problem .... And according to wiki.... I know no one is probably going to agree with me on this and that's ok...
i just posted something like this on another thread lmao wish I would have seen your post I would have just agreed instead of typing all that again lol

·
Registered
790 Posts
. According to - Musclecarclub.com - American Muscle Car information, statistics, and pictures. . Strict Definition of a Muscle Car: A muscle car, by the strictest definition, is an intermediate sized, performance oriented model, powered by a large V8 engine, at an affordable price. Most of these models were based on "regular" production vehicles. These vehicles are generally not considered muscle cars, even when equipped with large V8s. If there was a high performance version available, it gets the credit, and not the vehicle that it was based on. . Fullsize Muscle Car: The strict definition only includes intermediate size vehicles. In reality, performance oriented intermediate size vehicles didn't appear until 1964. Before then, manufacturers took existing fullsize vehicles and added extra performance to them. Because of this, the early fullsize performance vehicles are generally considered muscle cars. . Pony Cars and Compact Cars: In addition to fullsize and intermediate muscle cars, a number of smaller vehicles started appearing on the automotive performance scene. These new "pony cars" and compact cars are generally considered muscle cars only if they have the top of the line performance engines and options. . Some of todays offerings seem to qualify as " muscle cars "
Well then they don't have a clue what they are talking about. The 273 289 392 327 and 340's were all SMALL Block V8's and were indeed Muscle Cars. Not only is theirs a biased and false analogy but it is referring to the 1960's. Today we have 4 cyl and 6 cyl as powerful as some of the Muscle Cars.

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Correct that is why the GTO is the original muscle car. It was an optional performance package of the Tempest. Had an available 348hp 383 in 1964 not much could touch it on the street next to the vette. That is what a muscle car is to me. A factory car stripped down light, fast and takes much more expensive cars to beat it. The Mustang GT, Boss, etc. are just that. Dodge has the Viper and Chevy has the vette those are the American cars that will take down the Mustang. Per trim levels the Mustang beats all Camaro's and Challenger's across the board. The Mustang with a V8 which is not a big motor but has big HP will be a muscle car in my eyes always. Until the other big two can squash the Mustang with their muscle car. Never gonna happen.
Ever drive a Camaro with a 427 L88 ?

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

In the 60's we didn't rely on Wiki or Muscle Car clubs to define the genre for us. We defined it ourselves.
Yes most the large blocks had the most power but that is also no longer true of today's engines. Maybe you can't have a Muscle Car unless you have solid lifters. lol

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

Sounds like a muscle car to me... http://youtu.be/8nefU4Z6xWM ...especially at the 1:50 mark...
yep the original Boss 302 was anemic compared to that puppy.

·
Banned
1,146 Posts
Ever drive a Camaro with a 427 L88 ?
Your comment is moot I was talking trim levels...

The L88 427 was a limited production.

Put it up against the 2014 GT500 Super Snake. Doh!!!
Bye Bye L88... How does the back of a 850hp Mustang look? The car with the most powerful production V8 in American history!!!

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Well then they don't have a clue what they are talking about. The 273 289 392 327 and 340's were all SMALL Block V8's and were indeed Muscle Cars. Not only is theirs a biased and false analogy but it is referring to the 1960's. Today we have 4 cyl and 6 cyl as powerful as some of the Muscle Cars. ---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ---------- Ever drive a Camaro with a 427 L88 ? ---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ---------- In the 60's we didn't rely on Wiki or Muscle Car clubs to define the genre for us. We defined it ourselves. Yes most the large blocks had the most power but that is also no longer true of today's engines. Maybe you can't have a Muscle Car unless you have solid lifters. lol ---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ---------- yep the original Boss 302 was anemic compared to that puppy.
and if you read the prior statement I made .. It is just my personal opinion.. I was not saying any body else was wrong in theirs .. Just like you I'm allowed my own opinion and I was just sharing it ...

Since I was not born sooooo many years ago .. I have to rely on the web to get my information to form my own opinion .. We all were not fortunate to have lived back then..

·
Banned
1,146 Posts
and if you read the prior statement I made .. It is just my personal opinion.. I was not saying any body else was wrong in theirs .. Just like you I'm allowed my own opinion and I was just sharing it ...

Since I was not born sooooo many years ago .. I have to rely on the web to get my information to form my own opinion .. We all were not fortunate to have lived back then..
I grew up and got my first car between now and then. I did not have internet when i had my first and second mustangs but i got my info from the old guys. Like my dad who owned a 67' SS Chevelle with the 350hp 396.

But you must be right if you read it on the internet. :) just messing with ya dude.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I grew up and got my first car between now and then. I did not have internet when i had my first and second mustangs but i got my info from the old guys. Like my dad who owned a 67' SS Chevelle with the 350hp 396. But you must be right if you read it on the internet. :) just messing with ya dude.
hahaha and you believe every thing that old dudes say as well.... Ha?

It's ok! I never asked any of you to agree with me :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
hahaha and you believe every thing that old dudes say as well.... Ha? It's ok! I never asked any of you to agree with me :)
Doesn't matter to me if I agree with you or not and I addressed the Muscle Car club article not your opinion. Truth is truth and facts are facts and the Muscle Car clubs facts are wrong. The fact remains Muscle Cars also had small block engines and today's V6's out perform them as well as some of the big block muscle cars.

21 - 40 of 220 Posts