Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know if it's a good buy and if the axles are interchangable?

He wants $250 for it, and it already has tloc in it.

If I upgrade to 4.10 should I also replace the tloc to have all new parts?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should I try to get a newer rear or is this fine?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
yes, the axles are interchangable (as long as you have a pre-99). both are 28 spline and same length. if you have a 99+, then that rear end is 1.5" shorter than your current rearend. just put your axle housings on the pumpkin and youll be fine.

like corey said, as long as the posi is in good condition, dont spend the money to get a new one

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn, I have a 99+. What does this mean to me, can't use?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
you cant use the stock axle housings. this is where i would have a shop install the rear for you. cause it means taking off the axle shafts (the part in which the axles go) and installing the new ones. if you install your own, it should work just fine. basically just use the carrier (aka pumpkin) off the 8.8 and the rest of your stuff.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Hey, just making sure, the t-lock locks both the right and left axle right? Wouldn't that mess up while turning and such when you have both tires moving at the same speed. Just a thought that popped in my head.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
yes and no. a true locking differential does do that. however a traction lock differential does not. it still drives the passenger rear wheel mainly. but when that tire slips, power is transferred to the other wheel so both wheels spin. so when youre going around a corner and one wheel is not slipping, the t-lock is working to not lock them together. its a "smart" device that knows how much power to give to each wheel based on torque, slippage, and some other things

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Ha ok, just making sure. I hadn't really thought about it till just a little bit ago. That makes a lot more sense now. Thanks man. It would be quite interesting to drive a car with a true locked differential. Ok, solved alot of questions I had, thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok given all I can use is the pumpkin, is it still a good deal for $250.

Any of the stuff like the 4 lug axles worth putting on ebay? Or is that swap meet stuff.

Would the axle housings off the 7.7 bolt up or am I fubar on that too.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
yeah, thats a fine deal. think of it as getting a really really strong traction lock. a new one is about $200-225 anyway, and it is included in the pumpkin.

the 4lugs are worthless on ebay. its swap meet stuff, best.

we have 7.5 rears, not 7.7s. but yes, your stock axle housings will bolt right up to it. just have the shop put those on the new pumpkin when they put the gears in, and have them install it too, since you need to keep those axle housings and wouldnt be able to get home w/o them

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
yeah, thats why he asked if he could sell them on ebay. the 4 lugs and 5 lugs are interchangable. he just reuses his stock axles, axle housings, and disc brakes and it will bolt up fine and dandy

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
oh, i didnt read all the posts, i guess i should do that first :thumb2:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going to drop by tomorrow and pick it up. will take pics of the junkyars, it's a real city nightmare one. Two blocks long and 50 foot high racks.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Monkey said:
yes, the axles are interchangable (as long as you have a pre-99). both are 28 spline and same length. if you have a 99+, then that rear end is 1.5" shorter than your current rearend. just put your axle housings on the pumpkin and youll be fine.

like corey said, as long as the posi is in good condition, dont spend the money to get a new one

why swap axles housings? just put your 99+ axles into the foxbody unit and your set. Transfer over your brake brackets and anything else and itll bolt right up.

And a new tlok isn $225, if anyone pays that much I feel bad for you.

http://www.gefracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=G&Product_Code=M4204F318&Category_Code=46REAR

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
how much do you think shipping is on that $190 unit? i said 200-225 anyway, so im right in the ballpark.

and for the axle housings, he needs to swap them over too because the axles are 0.75" longer on his car than on the fox body's. and since the brake bracket is on the end of the housing, the brakes would not fit on the rotors. they would be .75" too far inward. so thus, you need his housings to make it fit right

·
Registered
567 Posts
aren't the housings welded to the pumpkin? Im trying to picture my rear axle..

they shouldnt just slide out....but I cant think.

·
Registered
567 Posts
after reading up on it a little more..

all 8.8 housings are the same length. Only the axle shafts themselves are longer/shorter.

If you swap the brake brackets off your 7.5" onto the 8.8" you should be good to go.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts