Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have my rims on finaly but I have a question. My back tires are Nittos and are a wide tire and they fill the rim all the way up to the lip of the rim. My front tires arent as wide and dont fit all the way up to the lip of the rim, they are close but not all the way.

How are the tires supposed to fit on these rims? Have alittle hanging out or should they fit all the way? I was looking at getting some new nittos for my front but I have to wait for some more cash to do that ;).

thanks for the help.

Oh Ill get a pic or two up tonite when I get home.

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
I think that depends on what size tire you have. Without that info, I don't think anybody can tell you much of anything.

You can't go too wide on the front or you will encounter rubbing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WhiteStang99 said:
I think that depends on what size tire you have. Without that info, I don't think anybody can tell you much of anything.

You can't go too wide on the front or you will encounter rubbing.
Yah that I know. No, I was just wondering if anyone has rims like mine that have that lip (but not deepdish) and how they are supposed to look. Again the nittos are a wide tire, a tad wider then my fronts and I was just wondering if the "look" of the rim is meant to leave part of the rim untouched by the tire or not? Ill get some pics to show you what I mean.

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
I guess I'll wait on pics. I'm no expert here, I'm just saying what I've read in other posts. Somebody who knows a lot more than me will post I'm sure.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
the tire is supposed to be pretty flush with the lip of the rim not only for looks but also for protection of the rim

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
moving to wheels and tires

edit - nevermind... for some reason im not a mod :wtf2:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the wrong place to post this :(. Actualy I noticed the difference, my rear nittos are a 98 wide lol, and my front extremos are a 89 wide. The rear nittos were on the car when I got it and I never noticed how wide the damn things were until now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i have 18x9' with 275's the tires i have have a "rim protector" which is a section of the sidewall thats designed to come out further then the wheel. my TREADS come out at least a half in or more over the rims and the sidewalls roll back in. if i understand your question right your wondering if this is ok. its totally cool as long as your treads are extremely over. the guys who will mount your tires will let you know if its too much. you can get away with some before you start compromising performance

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
thirstymate said:
i have 18x9' with 275's the tires i have have a "rim protector" which is a section of the sidewall thats designed to come out further then the wheel. my TREADS come out at least a half in or more over the rims and the sidewalls roll back in. if i understand your question right your wondering if this is ok. its totally cool as long as your treads are extremely over. the guys who will mount your tires will let you know if its too much. you can get away with some before you start compromising performance
Pic 1, my son and the rear end of the car

Pic 2 is showing the rear wheel, the nittos that fit all the way over the lip

Pic 3 is of the front tire that isnt covering the whole lip (should it be like this? I could swear I have seen some cars like this but Im not positive)

Pic 4 Front Side Shot (I like the look)

Pics 5-6 two different angles on the front tire(s) so you can see the "lip" that Im talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
your tires arent wide enough .. you can drive it if it holds air .. it just looks goofy and you are running a real high risk of curbbing the hell out of those nice rims.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yah, Im looking at getting wider ones here shortly. Im just pissed they gave me45's (8 1/2") instead of 40's (9 1/2"! I wonder what the smallest size will fit? AGain my nittos are 98's... damn it. whats a good place to buy tires at on the net?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Are both the front and rear same tire sizes but different manufacuter?? Size kinda varies depending on brands..... I know Kumhos look wider than the continentals i have on my car now. i think its just a variation in brand. Id probably et a nother set of nittos for the front. Other than that It looks killer dude :good:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
01mineralgrey6 said:
Are both the front and rear same tire sizes but different manufacuter?? Size kinda varies depending on brands..... I know Kumhos look wider than the continentals i have on my car now. i think its just a variation in brand. Id probably et a nother set of nittos for the front. Other than that It looks killer dude :good:
No, different sizes. Im going to see if I can sell my Extremo's that are on the front now, they are practicaly brand new. I just went up to sears and bought some p275/40/zr17 yoko's to put on the front so they fit the rim like my nittos do in the back.

I was going to buy all 4 new tires so they all match buuuutttt $800+ is crazy lol. Im going to get the new ones put on tomorrow so Ill update with the final pics... well final until the rest of my magnaflow exhaust shows up. Damn Xpipes are taking forever to get here.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
I got my yokahomas ave es100s for 129.00 plus 10 shipping from tirerack.com in a 275/40/17 i hope you didnt get riped from them....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SpectorV said:
I got my yokahomas ave es100s for 129.00 plus 10 shipping from tirerack.com in a 275/40/17 i hope you didnt get riped from them....
Yah, I paid the same as you did w/ s/h, they were $139 plus tax. Im actualy going to see if I can sell all 4 tires with the rims (or seperatly) so I can get all 4 yoko's on my car.

The Extremo's are P245/45/ZR17's and have been used for about a month and are in perfect shape (also cost like $180 each). On the back are Nitto Extreme NT555 P275/40/ZR17's and have good tread. None of the tires (or rims) have been curbed or have had a flat (no hole fillers). Everything is in great condition, I just want to dump it all so I can pay for the new tires lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts